Australian Chat Thread

Wow, that's really amazing Hiyo! Sadly I never was given that opportunity though, but the closest I had to such an experience was a next-door neighbour who was a driver for Westrail at the time invited me into the cab of an ADK/ADB class DMU (the ones that now run in Auckland, New Zealand), while running a suburban service on the Armadale line between Gosnells and Sherwood (the last station before Armadale), in early 1990 - for a ten-year old it was awesome stuff. :3

I've also had a cab ride in 1994 in the Australind ADP/ADQ class railcars as well on the South-West mainline between Keysbrook and Armadale, which was another rail experience I'll never forget (sadly I haven't had any cab rides in locomotives though, let alone driven one).

Either way, the Perth suburban rail system has been a part of my life since I can remember - growing up only my father had a driver's license and car and thus as he was at work five days a week, if my mother needed to get anywhere, we had to rely on public transport, usually a bus, but, particularly from when I was about three or four my family moved near a railway and thus we started catching the train - something that I've continued to do ever since.

Thus I saw the many massive changes to Perth's rail network over the last three decades - but the pre-electrification era of the early to mid 1980s is the one I feel most fondly for - back when you could catch a train in Perth that was often hauled by a growling (and aging) Metropolitan-Vickers X class, complete with characteristic oil slick down the side and Aboriginal name plate, with a train consisting of elderly AY/AYB/AYE/AYF class wooden bodied coaches with manual doors (that usually didn't stay closed while the train was in motion!), all painted in Westrail orange and blue, with aged padded blue and cream vinyl seats and route maps that were ten years out of date (they still showed services to Byford which finished in the mid 1970s!), still with steel luggage racks above the seats (making them look like services went further than just twenty-something kilometres out of the city!), and still manned by a guard dressed in drab brown uniform who would cheerfully dispense your ticket on an old fashioned paper roll dispenser (with the ticket stenciled 'W.A.G.R' on it - even the tickets hadn't been updated to the 'Westrail' name!).

And of course, the experience of the antique AY stock with their ancient underframes and bogies that dated from the 1890s riding roughly at speed as the throaty Crossly-engined loco hustled on to it's destination. It's an experience that I'll never forget, and feel nostalgic for, especially looking at how thoroughly things have changed. Electrification changed the face of the Perth suburban system so thoroughly, little remains of my memories from the early to mid 1980s now sadly.

Last edited:
Wow, that's really amazing Hiyo! Sadly I never was given that opportunity though, but the closest I had to such an experience was a next-door neighbour who was a driver for Westrail at the time invited me into the cab of an ADK/ADB class DMU (the ones that now run in Auckland, New Zealand), while running a suburban service on the Armadale line between Gosnells and Sherwood (the last station before Armadale), in early 1990 - for a ten-year old it was awesome stuff. :3

I've also had a cab ride in 1994 in the Australind ADP/ADQ class railcars as well on the South-West mainline between Keysbrook and Armadale, which was another rail experience I'll never forget (sadly I haven't had any cab rides in locomotives though, let alone driven one).

Either way, the Perth suburban rail system has been a part of my life since I can remember - growing up only my father had a driver's license and car and thus as he was at work five days a week, if my mother needed to get anywhere, we had to rely on public transport, usually a bus, but, particularly from when I was about three or four my family moved near a railway and thus we started catching the train - something that I've continued to do ever since.

Thus I saw the many massive changes to Perth's rail network over the last three decades - but the pre-electrification era of the early to mid 1980s is the one I feel most fondly for - back when you could catch a train in Perth that was often hauled by a growling (and aging) Metropolitan-Vickers X class, complete with characteristic oil slick down the side and Aboriginal name plate, with a train consisting of elderly AY/AYB/AYE/AYF class wooden bodied coaches with manual doors (that usually didn't stay closed while the train was in motion!), all painted in Westrail orange and blue, with aged padded blue and cream vinyl seats and route maps that were ten years out of date (they still showed services to Byford which finished in the mid 1970s!), still with steel luggage racks above the seats (making them look like services went further than just twenty-something kilometres out of the city!), and still manned by a guard dressed in drab brown uniform who would cheerfully dispense your ticket on an old fashioned paper roll dispenser (with the ticket stenciled 'W.A.G.R' on it - even the tickets hadn't been updated to the 'Westrail' name!).

And of course, the experience of the antique AY stock with their ancient underframes and bogies that dated from the 1890s riding roughly at speed as the throaty Crossly-engined loco hustled on to it's destination. It's an experience that I'll never forget, and feel nostalgic for, especially looking at how thoroughly things have changed. Electrification changed the face of the Perth suburban system so thoroughly, little remains of my memories from the early to mid 1980s now sadly.

I managed a brief cab ride in the new Australind back in the day too, probably in the early 90s. I also managed to weasel my way into the cab of a DB as it and a sister unit arrived in Albany and shunted their long train of XU and XY hoppers off the Lake Grace line. All before rationalisation of the yard, so there were lots of sidings full of wagons and there was still a general goods train running from Albany to Forestfield.

I very much miss the variety of pre-electrification suburban trains... the QR coaches, the ADG/AYE/ADG combination!

I'm over east now and used to see L Class thundering along on the main south, sometimes with re-gauged XW narrow gauge hoppers behind them! Speaking of Ls over east, this has to be one of the most entertaining clips of Australian rail on YouTube (turn up the volume): http://youtu.be/JY-13S4_Ulw

Last edited:
I just need to know, who made the PL carriages? And we're they built for the creators personal use, or were they uploaded to the DLS?

Cheers

They were a private beta I suggested to the creator (although he may have been working on them long before then) that were sent out to a select few. They were never complete to a 'releasable' stage, even public beta.

hi only another newbie in here from sydney say hi too all of the aussies here !!! and a big toooot to the some of us who need
go an let of some !!!

LOOKING for a new club or home to join and interact with via t/skp3 or other ways ...

thx again,

krugar
originally from peak hill, central west n.s.w. --> now living in sydney !!!

Danial Andrews is pledging 30m to upgrade the deteriorating Mildura line for Pacific National's Grain export.

https://www.facebook.com/DanielAndr...4712696593275/837929769604894/?type=1&theater

This might also be a start to bringing the Vinelander service back which was a 10 hour trip from Melbourne-Ballan-Ballarat-Maryborough-Mildura, a 600 km long route which had two trains each way per day, From 1957 the Victorian Commissioners started building new Rollingstock known as the Z Type Passenger cars which had reclining seats and said *This is the last pitch for Mildura*, it was axed in 1993 because of cheaper air fares at the time and more people driving cars as the fuel was 50c per liter, due to population increase rising fuel costs and grid locks in Melbourne along with elderly/disabled people in wheel chairs not being able to use the coach which was always fully booked, a bring back Mildura campaign started mid 2000's, an attempt was tried using SAR Bluebirds by V/Line (about 2006?) but it never went forward, in election campaigns by Labor and Liberals between 2009 to 2014 there were promises to bring back the passenger service by both parties if elected but that never happened, one of Daniel's election campaigns again was to bring back the Mildura passenger, I believe that's hot air too as the works is for Pacific National's freight upgrades, another page I've seen has said it's a conversion to Standard Guage while the Daniel Andrews page said it's an upgrade which means re-sleepering rather than a conversion.

For those who don't know, Victoria has two routes with Standard Guage, Albury to Melbourne (opened 1963) and Melbourne Via North Geelong Loop through Cressy and up to Ararat then to Adelaide (opened 1995) in early 2000's Freight Australia converted Ararat to Maryborough to Standard Guage and Dual Guaged Maryborough to Dunolly, rest of the lines such as Dunolly to Mildura and Dunolly to Inglewood/Korongvale is Broad Guage along with Maryborough to Castlemaine which connects to the Bendigo Line.

(most might have noticed I wrote Gauge as Guage, that's how it's written in VR books so don't give me a spelling lecture)

Cheers.

I hope the return of passenger services happens, steam special to Mildura!

I love the Orange juice that comes from there :)!

Cheers

I hope the return of passenger services happens, steam special to Mildura!
Cheers

Steamrail has always run weekenders to Mildura, last time I saw a run was 2002.

Anyways,

Found a article that says it's a Standard Guage conversion to increase the weight of rollingstock

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...-victorian-rail-freight-line-upgrades/6129172

Since 1962 the maximum amount of weight for bogie Vehicles on the Broad Guage was set to 75 Tons (76 tonnes) and has always been 75 Tons giving an axle load around 18 tons 10 cwt while Standard Guage stock can be loaded to 100 tonnes giving an axle load of 25 tonnes which is far heavier than the G Class Locomotives which are 21 tonnes.

Cheers.

Bummer, bugger standard gauge. I hope they have a farewell broad gauge trip up to there. I heard there was one about a decade ago, yet that 'farewell broad gauge' tour never made any sense, as the line was never converted.

Cheers

Bummer, bugger standard gauge. I hope they have a farewell broad gauge trip up to there. I heard there was one about a decade ago, yet that 'farewell broad gauge' tour never made any sense, as the line was never converted.

Cheers

In 2003 Steve Bracks was to convert Mildura to Maryborough as Standard Guage to get Mildura Passenger returned by 2004 and never happened, 2005 came and not one sleeper laid or spike driven, there was a Broad Guage re-sleepering by Brumby in 2009, most of it was used between Geelong and Ararat.

When I was a kid some of these trains where re-shunted at North Geelong, they'll have two Y Class coupled, the Tankers came from Shell in Corio, when there where allot in Shell a G Class would come and pick them up and Cement Pots from Blue Circle Waurn Ponds and Fyansford.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That is interesting, thanks Aaron.

Anyways, is anyone going to film any heritage action this year? I am starting with the DERMPAV tour to Seymour, via the CRAIGIEBURN line, let's hope that it looks good!

Cheers

Howdy Fellas,
Last weekend the old PC up and died on me and I'm not too sure what's happened or how much I have lost so for those waiting for me to send you files ya might have to wait for a bit longer please.
Cheers Mick.

Not good Mick, hopefully you haven't lost too much or anything at all!
Thanks David I'll send it back to the other Aussie trainzer who built the PC for me and we'll take it from there I do have a few items saved on an older PC so this could be a good time for a clean out of a lot of stuff I never finished anyways and a good time to have a think about the future,
I don't get as much time anymore anyway and I'm not really interested in this tane thing so we'll see what happens.
Cheers Mick.

I noticed, no volunteering for me anytime soon, I still hope they can run the Tocumwal trip, I will be filming that.

I went to the workshops after school, the damage is devastating.

The frames on 107M and 137M have been eliminated by the fire, so do not expect them to return anytime soon.

Cheers

Back