Trainz Forge: Routes, Reskins and Renders

2021-05-10_120616.jpg

Tim

SWEET! Are those available Tim? I don't see them on the site. Looking great!

No, they're not available yet. These are just the initial skins, and there is still plenty to do to them before they will go up on the site, but they will at some stage. Depending on what the other members of the team are doing we may have a big release coming up so plenty of goodies to look forward to.

Cheers
Tim

Why don't you give a shot at making old Sierra Railway No. 3 (especially since the Erecting Hall's discontinued their model and the Backshops has cancelled making their version)? Thought it'd be a good idea since you've made No. 38.

Sierra stuff is happening in due time, starting with second 2, 24, 34 and 36. All those engines have particular uses that make them valuable outside of the Sierra. 3 will be a much later model because I frankly do not look forward to all the people who will inevitably ask for every conceivable preservation and movie variation - something I have no intention of doing.

A possible solution could be a Sierra 3 reskin kit, the same idea as Ben Neal's most recent USRA Light Mikado, with alternate meshes and whatnot. I think this would be a win-win, but of course, I would like to know what you think of the idea.

Last edited:
A possible solution could be a Sierra 3 reskin kit, the same idea as Ben Neal's most recent USRA Light Mikado, with alternate meshes and whatnot. I think this would be a win-win, but of course, I would like to know what you think of the idea.

It sounds like a great idea! Although as to the reskin kits, I think it'd be a better idea if you could make it so you could change the engine and tender's liveries in the game like you can on some other models, like the latest one of Thomas the Tank Engine from Sodor Workshops. That way you'd save all the trouble of having to open the asset up for editing and applying each reskin for the engine.
As for the alternate meshes, it would definitely come in handy for some components that Old No. 3 has worn in her movies, such as her cowcatchers and headlights. However, one part I'm kinda worried about is the smokestacks, because No. 3 wore many different kinds in her movies. I don't know if anybody's done alternate meshes of smokestacks before, and even if you tried to do so, there's still the issue of the smoke coming out of each one. I don't know whether or not you can add coding for smoke and steam to individual meshes, especially to react to the speed of the locomotive. But if you can do that, then it would definitely be easier to add on additional smokestacks as meshes (plus you could also have two smokestacks emit green and yellow smoke each just like in Back to the Future Part III​... as well as red smoke for the blown up stack).

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to share a recent update. In anticipation of the forthcoming route release I've done a modernized version for the 4-6-0s.
6F709BA21EEC912A778B9A22A5E85E5E4E322814

This morning I've finished up the rebuilt D&RG 4-6-0, so have a shot showing that off, as well as one from Chris of the 4-6-0s on the WVRR:
unknown.png

20211214095758_1.jpg

Back