Trainz Forge: Routes, Reskins and Renders

Since I've been getting really good feedback on some of my in-progress shots, I figure I'd throw some more in here. This route that I've been posting pictures of is a fictional version of Cincinnati that I've been working on for a little over a year now. Coincidentally, a bunch of fictional lines that creators have made all either pass through or terminate in Cincinnati, and I figured I would do my best to replicate a bunch of them. The result was a matchup to rival that of any city save Chicago. Add in mountains and a general lack of areas to stick yards and mainlines, and you wind up with some extremely interesting and creative solutions to problems that real railroads actually faced when building their lines way back when. The city will definitely be changed a bunch, the entire waterfont on both sides of the Ohio River has been transformed into a tangle of rail yards, stations, industries, and freight houses. Of course, the city would also have to be much bigger, because of the increase in traffic passing through the area. I've added in plans for an EL system in addition to streetcar operations, however those will mostly be for rolling scenery in the background since I think the intense amount of trackage of both real and fictional railroads will be enough to satisfy most trainzers.

I've also tried to keep real lines as much as possible untouched. Now a number of changes were unavoidable, there's only so many places where you can lay tracks without completely disrupting the environment, however I absolutely intend for the vast, vast majority of real lines to also be laid down in addition to the fictional stuff.

Here we have a CA&L freight coming off of the CA&L/Belt Line bridge, and then hanging a left-hand turn onto the Belt Line's tracks. The train then passes the Belt Line and T&E's facilities at Rockport Avenue and 3rd Street, respectively. The last CA&L shot is of the train passing the L&A's depot on Goldcliff Boulevard.

V8WZ8nd.jpg
WJ2Gbzu.jpg
jNH0DzE.jpg
AiOwjym.jpg

Now for some more overall shots. Here's the L&A's Cincinnati Depot. Currently (pending a conversation with Thai1on about how he'd like the L&A to work in the city) I have the L&A keeping its pre-Cincinnati Union Terminal station around for a while after they move their long distance services to CUT. However, with this depot being in a better location for commuters downtown, the L&A kept the majority of its commuter services running out of this station through the 1960's. The Cincinnati Belt Line were also tenants of this station, using it for their own limited commuter services in and around the cities of Cincinnati, Newport, and Covington until the states of Ohio and Kentucky allowed for their discontinuance in the early 1970's. The Tennessee & Eastern, tenants of the Belt Line themselves, also used this terminal for their few long distance services to and from Cincinnati. To the left, the Belt Line tracks continue up a ramp to access the Burnsides Avenue viaduct, carrying their tracks towards Norwood and other interchanges on the other side of Cincinnati.

C3osOKj.jpg

Here we have Covington Union Station, just across the river from Cincinnati. Currently, the main owner of the station is the Columbia & Hood River, although several other fictional railroads (a few of which are pending discussions with their respective owners as to how operations are gonna work in the city) also use the depot as well.

JrQ0Jm0.jpg

Finally, we have some protolanced trackage, the PRR's CL&N line down Eggleston Avenue. I had to reduce the width of the road a bit to make it fit with some of the fictional finagling I had to do, however I'm trying to keep as much of the feel and operational value as possible.

Iw9wnvI.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Jackson. The street running is very typical of what was seen in the "bottoms" or the area around the riverfront. Just like my version of Cincy the bottoms are cramped with many small factories, slaughterhouses, tanneries and produce warehouses just to name a few. I really like what you've done across the river and I need to up my game over there ;). Just as I had hoped fictional Cincinnati is becoming a home for fictional railroads to service a large city alongside real life railroads with lots of competition and some forced sharing of trackage due to the limited nature of the landscape.

Dave

If you want across the river, I'll give you across the river!

A CA&L Pacific heads the LE&E/CA&L's Federal Limited, bound for Washington DC, through Covington as it slows to stop at the depot, just behind the camera.

IrTiRXa.jpg

You guys keep teasing us with all this great screenshots but you havent added anything new to you site in over a half a year. When will we see somthing new on Trianz Forge?

That ALCO looks great would love to have it where can it be obtained from?

Those are currently unreleased content. Not yet available and no idea when, although i do know they have several variations planned. Patience you must have, young grasshopper.

You guys keep teasing us with all this great screenshots but you havent added anything new to you site in over a half a year. When will we see somthing new on Trianz Forge?

What Timo said. I mean, even if we were to not release anything else for another six months, we still would have released more free content over the course of these past few months than most other groups. A little appreciation before the inevitable tide of "more more more more more" would be nice before telling us when and where we should give you more toys to play with.

It might also be easy to forget but we've got lives that also take priority over this game. Currently a release hasn't happened yet since most of us are either tied up with other stuff, too busy to care, or are burned out because we killed our trainz spirit cranking out a ton of content for you guys a few months ago. Sorry if this doesn't fit with your requirements, but the answer to your question is "whenever we​ feel like it."

What Timo said. I mean, even if we were to not release anything else for another six months, we still would have released more free content over the course of these past few months than most other groups. A little appreciation before the inevitable tide of "more more more more more" would be nice before telling us when and where we should give you more toys to play with.

It might also be easy to forget but we've got lives that also take priority over this game. Currently a release hasn't happened yet since most of us are either tied up with other stuff, too busy to care, or are burned out because we killed our trainz spirit cranking out a ton of content for you guys a few months ago. Sorry if this doesn't fit with your requirements, but the answer to your question is "whenever we​ feel like it."

Wasn't being a gimme pig I just thought it would not have hurt to inquire about it there was no need to explain it to me in that manner I have downloaded tons of the releases that Trainz Forge has released in the past sorry for asking.

The attitude on this forum is very strange. Lots of threads with the sole purpose of showing off stuff, but if anyone asks if that stuff is available, they are immediately shut down as being the most greedy and thankless boors.

But, then, this whole sim and almost everything about it is very strange. Why it has such a small user base, in part, I guess.

The hell is wrong with people? You all act like its some tragedy if a group doesnt release content because they are busy with their lives. When someone replies with explanation then people get all defensive. If it wasnt for 3rd party creators this whole damn game wouldnt exist.

The hell is wrong with people? You all act like its some tragedy if a group doesnt release content because they are busy with their lives. When someone replies with explanation then people get all defensive. If it wasnt for 3rd party creators this whole damn game wouldnt exist.

That's the exact reason why ANL left the Trainz Content Creation community

Last edited:
Hi Jackson, I'd like to get with you on your building selection. You seem to have a good eye for steam era architecture and if possible I'd like to see what you're use?

Also are your station track plans based on real life places or freelanced?

Dave

I cant speak for Jackson but you be surprise how busy both Trainboi1 and BenjaminW are with Collage stuff right now. How do I know this, well because they are both good friends of mine and in fact BenjaminW is in Flight School right now.

The attitude on this forum is very strange. Lots of threads with the sole purpose of showing off stuff, but if anyone asks if that stuff is available, they are immediately shut down as being the most greedy and thankless boors.

But, then, this whole sim and almost everything about it is very strange. Why it has such a small user base, in part, I guess.

The problem isn't that they asked if it was available, the problem is that people constantly beg for more, more, more. I cannot stress enough that we are all very busy with real life right now. Progress is very slow on all my projects because I am currently drowning in schoolwork. If we were to release everything you've seen in this thread right away 99% of it would be horrendously unfinished. We also have no obligation to release any of it at all. This thread is to show what we are doing, not necessarily what we will release. For example, while the majority of the ALCo PAs are in line to be released, the CA&L ones will, for the foreseeable future, remain private. This is not to say that nothing is being released though, I've just started my first payware project and, if I recall correctly Dan has one just about ready.

Just keep in mind that none of do this for a living. We all have other things that are far more important than a digital railroad simulator, and we would kindly ask that you keep that in mind.

-Ben

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that most of the time when I post a screenshot of an in-progress reskin or model, I get flooded with skype messages and PMs requesting that I do something else vaguely related to it, that I can send it to them (however unfinished) or that I should finish it that instant and release it. I can't speak for everyone, but I can safely say that quite a few major content creators share my opinion that people get way, way, way out of hand with their badgering and requests.

Yeah, I get it. This is a thread for in-progress shots of stuff that's likely going to be released at some point, but the constant flood of demands from people who ask when our next release is going to be, if they can get a date that something will be done, if I can do this skin or this model for them right then and there, if I can send them a beta copy of something, if I can create a whole route for a single asset that somebody somewhere has made at some point is quite frankly, overwhelming. That doesn't even scratch the surface of some of the "requests" I've gotten. Most of the time, people don't even ask politely or try to be nice. Generally it's a flat out demand, poorly worded, and riddled with grammatical errors.

Trust me when I say, if something isn't released, it's for good reason. I've even been known to post temporary mediafire or dropbox links to things that I feel are done before a website release can be organized. But at the same time, I do that at my own discretion, and do not take that as an open invitation to constantly ask if I can link this or that or "shoot you a beta of the project." If I want to send you a beta of something, I will contact you about it, not the other way around. My projects have no set release date unless otherwise stated, and even then that can change depending on what kind of curveballs life likes to throw.

I'd wager that also applies as a general rule of thumb when dealing with creators. We play this all for fun, choose to give you all public access to things we make, generally for free, and try to make sure that there is as little work for you all on your end when you download and install a finished asset. Flooding our PMs, Facebooks, forum threads, and Skype accounts with request after request and demand after demand really detracts from the main driving force behind why we all do it, the enjoyment of the game. Take the fun of it away, and we're gone, there's really no other reason for us to stay.

Last edited:
Back