Trainz Forge: Routes, Reskins and Renders

I'm looking forward to the NYC Heavyweights specially along with the connected engine. Will be a must-have for me when the pack gets published.

Dan, the Pullmans look great. Any chance we'll get MKT Texas Special (or really any MKT passenger consist) lightweight passenger cars for use behind the MKT PA's?

Cars for the 20th Century Limited are done. 43 cars in total. New cars include NYC RPOs with 4- and 6-wheel trucks, 13-DBRs, 7-DRs, and an earlier model of 6-6 with a mirrored layout. Reworked cars include 14-sections and 10-2s with PMB and without air conditioning.
2087ECF8FAEEC45426DC16391E88372E25A2D8B2

The 20th Century Limited being complete, my next goal is to finish the cars for the LE&E pack. The compartment sleepers are used on both trains, so remaining to be done are RPOs, dining and lounge cars. Both packs may also receive additional head end stock as appropriate to help complete a variety of other top trains.
42D3F3DC1073B9C0E52D8828E3DA2319ED0A29F3

At present there are 81 drumheads in the updated version of my mesh library. It's the same script setup as you can see on my cars on the DLS - that is, all non-head-end cars can be fitted with drumheads appropriately. I tried to keep the options down to limit having to click through, so I think the most any one car has is around 60, from testing the newest additions on the 14-sections. The observation cars are limited to NYC and LE&E service, so have around 20 drumheads.
LE&E's RPOs are done, based an a PRR prototype.

unknown.png

Last edited:
Now I'm curious to know if the NYC heavyweights will come with a new locomotive (assuming they'll be packed together as a payware release). If so, I hope it'll be a J1 Hudson.

Excellent Heavyweight's Trainboi! The NYC is definitely one of my most interested USA Railroads so I definitely could see several places I could work with these.

Thanks for another great release! :D

No, it is a LE&E mainline operation from Boston to Chicago. The LE&E's history is replete with trying to find custom names only to find real things that used the same name. There are actually three Midnight Limiteds: the fictional train from the 1940 film, the fictional train from the LE&E, and a real Chicago-St. Louis train on the Wabash.

In the upgrade process, I've gotten Four Aces upgraded to PBR and in game. I've also finally found the glitch causing the horns to play on startup, so that will be fixed on all locos equipped with secondary horns or whistles.
0788A3EB4D064FE927CD6814889E59D181BCB1D0

The funny thing is that there were tons of duplicate names in real life (for instance, no less than four railroads used the name Chicagoan) so it's at least not unprototypical... but yeah it's frustrating.

On the bright side, now in the TF fictional universe, the movie Midnight Limited​ was made about the LE&E's train!

Absolutely fantastic work, as always!

I wonder if I've installed some things incorrectly, as virtually all of the lightweight streamlined passenger cars in one of your last updates have running numbers that appear as a sort of teal or turquoise colour. Any ideas what might be causing that?

Not sure, do you have a screenshot of the issue by any chance?

The Midnight Limited, the flagship passenger train of the Lake Erie and Eastern Transportation Company (renamed from the Lake Erie and Eastern Railway in 1929 (also not to be confused with the similarly named Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad paper subsidiary of the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie)) is spotted at Sterling Falls in December of 1931. The depression is beginning to take a stronger grip on the nation, and times are rapidly changing for the worse. Passenger ridership is dramatically falling week by week, however the LE&E has remained steadfast in maintaining the quality of their passenger services.

R1 northern 3702 Hermes, less than six months old, is in charge of the railroad's flagship today. The train is still running heavy, and much like other top trains of its stature, such as the New York Central's 20th Century Limited or the Santa Fe's Chief, it seems still be a top performer. The Midnight Limited is also one of a select few trains in the country for which the Pullman name is replaced by the train name in the letterboard on all regular Pullman operated cars in the train's pool of equipment, similar to trains such as the C&O's George Washington, the PRR's Congressional, and the B&O's Capitol and National Limiteds. A defining mark since the mid 1920's, this distinctive feature of the train will not last the year, eliminated as a cost-saving measure in just a few months.

2022-01-27_034530.jpg

2022-01-27_034622.jpg

2022-01-27_034742.jpg

Carrying out the head-end duties today are 70ft RPO 663, and baggage-smoking lounge-barber shop Boston Club. Mail revenues remained a top priority for the LE&E, and being one of the fastest methods of travel between Boston and Chicago, the post office provided a large amount of business for the Midnight Limited in hauling top priority mail en-route. Boston Club is a plan 3951 baggage club built in 1927. Providing the barber shop, train secretary, and other Pullman extra fare accompaniments, this car and its sisters could be found at the head-end of the Midnight Limited, and a select few running mates at the top-end of the LE&E's extensive fleet of passenger trains.
2022-01-27_034832.jpg

The dining services of the Midnight Limited were handled by two separate cars in 1931. An 1850 series diner, built in 1929, is a regular on the Midnight Limited. In this era, as common for nearly every passenger train of the time, diners will be cut and added en-route in order to reduce weight, keep crews and cars limited to their respective operating districts, and more easily utilize them across multiple trains. The eastbound Midnight Limited will cut 1851 in Akron, Ohio, after meal hours have concluded. After its night time sprint across the northeast, it will pick up a new diner in Albany in order to provide breakfast for the rest of the journey to Boston. Following 1851 is Pullman lounge-diner Tremont Street, built in 1930. In addition to providing extra lounge space, this car also functions as an extension to the train's regular dining car. With the dining/table section positioned adjoining the table section of the car ahead, the Midnight Limited can offer extra seating for dining car passengers during meal hours. After meal hours, the entire car functions as a lounge-cafe space, with the small Pullman-operated kitchen providing light meals and snacks to passengers wishing for something after dining hours have concluded. The train also contains an onboard radio in the rear lounge section, a novelty in this era of train travel but soon to become an industry standard.
2022-01-27_034904.jpg

Bringing up the rear, we have a 1929 built 1-1 observation car from the River series, one of several cars built for the LE&E to bring up the markers on its top trains. These cars also featured an onboard radio, among other extensive amenities, as well as the ultimate in Pullman accommodation in the heavyweight era - the illustrious master room.
2022-01-27_034926.jpg

Last edited:
Shortly after the Midnight Limited has faded into the distance, we glimpse its New York-bound running mate, with R1 3701 Aphrodite in command. The Midnight Limited began carrying New York-bound cars in 1914, however the growing popularity of the New York section pushed the LE&E to inaugurate a dedicated New York-bound train when they re-equipped the Midnight Limited in 1926. While business was good enough to sustain this train through the 1920's, the Depression, plus the nature of the highly competitive New York - Chicago passenger market, has caused this train to struggle throughout the last year. Much like the train name in the letterboard, the New York-Midnight Limited will not survive to see 1933, however the Boston-Chicago train will not regain its New York cars with the cancellation. The slightly secondary nature of this train is evident in that, while it pulls from the larger pool of Midnight Limited cars, much of the equipment is not specifically named for the Midnight Limited and its room offerings are slightly less in variety than its better known Boston counterpart.

2022-01-27_040000.jpg
2022-01-27_040113.jpg
2022-01-27_040144.jpg
2022-01-27_040202.jpg
2022-01-27_040241.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots Jacksonbarno. Thanks for sharing.

That's some very impressive trackwork in the earlier yard shots too.

Cheers,
Piere.

Back