Trainz Forge: Routes, Reskins and Renders

A tale of two mountains:

5825b8c747e0ed88b1a2113344708c6c.png
baa5b9a29fc76b07c9bf1d69f9ef0ddd.png

The first pic is a model of one of the LE&E's class R-3 Mountains. Split into four subclasses (R3, R3a, R3b, R3c), these were LE&E's primary fast freight engines before the first S-class Berkshires arrived on the property in 1928. In total across all variants, 177 were constructed by Baldwin and Lima between 1924 and 1926, taking over most long-haul freight assignments from the LE&E's H-class Mikados. This version will probably represent the most numerous of the class, the original R3. As more modern power was delivered these locomotives were increasingly bumped from premier freight assignments, however they maintained a strong presence into the 1950's. As dieselization began to take hold, the class began to be retired in 1952, with the last being retired in May of 1956.

The second pic is of LE&E's class R2, of which 25 ordered for heavy passenger service in 1924 from Alco's newly implemented "steam catalogue," with LE&E's trademark modifications. These locomotives took over on the LE&E’s top passenger trains of the era, including the Lake Erie Limited, the Midnight Limited, the Ohioan, and the Continental Limited. These locomotives performed admirably, maintaining high speeds even as train lengths increased. Augmented by deliveries of class O Hudsons starting in 1929, these locomotives started to be relegated to secondary runs as the LE&E wholeheartedly plunged into the streamlined era. During WWII, the R2s were truly put to the test, hauling heavy troop trains and being pressed into freight service during the duration of the war. Postwar, the R2s would briefly regain the spotlight hauling crack LCL and time freights, however they were quickly rendered redundant by dieselization and the delivery of 4-8-6 Ohio class locomotives from Lima. Five were sold to the Ohio River & Western in 1949, and five more were sold to the Arizona Texas & Western in 1950. The remaining locomotives on the LE&E were all retired by 1952, however the OR&W and the AT&W both operated theirs until 1956 and 1958 respectively, proving their worth hauling heavier trains than ever before finally succumbing to dieselization.

Last edited:
Apologies if the context of this might be a cause for alarm, but have you considered the possibility of creating reskins of Whitepass' Pullman heavyweights for roads that haven't been done yet? You once used to have some C&O equipment on your own site for download, until it got taken down.

Actually, we have a bunch of Pullmans already done for a wide variety of roads on Dan's models. We're waiting for some proper motive power to be completed (hint hint) before we release them, but trust me, we have plans!

Steam or Diesel? Is C&O yellow, white and blue on the list? I suppose that the PRR heavyweights from the Forge match up with Steve Lerro's K4s, and the GG1 (Whitepass.) Lerro had also made excellant models of the J3 Hudson and the Niagara for your NYC equipment. B&O, there is an JR-style F7 A-B set from Valley Rail Services. No one has yet done a reskin of the Jointed Rail EMD F7 that is in the C&O yellow, blue and white passenger.

A tale of two mountains:

Images Clipped:

The first pic is a model of one of the LE&E's class R-3 Mountains. Split into four subclasses (R3, R3a, R3b, R3c), these were LE&E's primary fast freight engines before the first S-class Berkshires arrived on the property in 1928. In total across all variants, 177 were constructed by Baldwin and Lima between 1924 and 1926, taking over most long-haul freight assignments from the LE&E's H-class Mikados. This version will probably represent the most numerous of the class, the original R3. As more modern power was delivered these locomotives were increasingly bumped from premier freight assignments, however they maintained a strong presence into the 1950's. As dieselization began to take hold, the class began to be retired in 1952, with the last being retired in May of 1956.

The second pic is of LE&E's class R2, of which 25 ordered for heavy passenger service in 1924 from Alco's newly implemented "steam catalogue," with LE&E's trademark modifications. These locomotives took over on the LE&E’s top passenger trains of the era, including the Lake Erie Limited, the Midnight Limited, the Ohioan, and the Continental Limited. These locomotives performed admirably, maintaining high speeds even as train lengths increased. Augmented by deliveries of class O Hudsons starting in 1929, these locomotives started to be relegated to secondary runs as the LE&E wholeheartedly plunged into the streamlined era. During WWII, the R2s were truly put to the test, hauling heavy troop trains and being pressed into freight service during the duration of the war. Postwar, the R2s would briefly regain the spotlight hauling crack LCL and time freights, however they were quickly rendered redundant by dieselization and the delivery of 4-8-6 Ohio class locomotives from Lima. Five were sold to the Ohio River & Western in 1949, and five more were sold to the Arizona Texas & Western in 1950. The remaining locomotives on the LE&E were all retired by 1952, however the OR&W and the AT&W both operated theirs until 1956 and 1958 respectively, proving their worth hauling heavier trains than ever before finally succumbing to dieselization.

Those are some mighty nice looking Steamers there, good luck with those!

Steam or Diesel? Is C&O yellow, white and blue on the list? I suppose that the PRR heavyweights from the Forge match up with Steve Lerro's K4s, and the GG1 (Whitepass.) Lerro had also made excellant models of the J3 Hudson and the Niagara for your NYC equipment. B&O, there is an JR-style F7 A-B set from Valley Rail Services. No one has yet done a reskin of the Jointed Rail EMD F7 that is in the C&O yellow, blue and white passenger.
When everything is your project list there's no point naming specifics. :p I will say that all the trains we've specifically rostered and researched to do sets from, the C&O cars will be green, since they are still during the mainstream heavyweight era.

Are there any intentions to create other types of Pullman heavyweight cars not yet covered? Specifically, observation cars, diners, combines, and other configurations of sleepers. The Western Pacific Special Caboose is worthy of filling in the shoes of a typical, run-of-the-mill 1920's 1940's heavyweight RPO.

Once again, if you have everything on your list there's no point in listing the specifics. The PRR alone will have more than five of each type of car you listed, and I've done almost all the most common types of Pullman sleeping car in both heavyweight and "betterment" forms by this point. Most are in the Exposition Flyer packs. Some are not yet released.

Makes sense after all, the heavyweights manufactured by the Pullman Company were a highly common sight across the United States from the 1920's up until WWII, with some being used well into the Cold War era; 1950's to 1970's specifically. Also applies to the EMD F and E series, and the ALCO FA and PA series diesels.

Sorry if I'm butting in here inappropriately, but this thread (I'm very new to Trainz) introduced me to your website and group. Very nice work!

I have a question. You have two routes (sort of) on your website. The dependencies pack for JR's Whiteshore, which is TS12 only, and the Patriot River Lines. I can't find any mention anywhere of what versions of Trainz this route works on. I only have T:ANE SP2.

Griphos,

If you are looking at routes then you must be browsing the old site (don't worry, it isn't outdated, we're still waiting to port everything over to the new site) and from memory most of the things on the old Weebly site was uploaded when TANE was either unreleased or at a stage where we were not happy with it. Therefore everything should work in TANE from a Build Number perspective, though you may encounter some errors with assets, but i couldn't tell tell you what they would be. Currently I have PLR V2 installed no problems.

Cheers
Tim

Yes, the routes are on the weebly site. I see the other stuff on the new site as well. I'll try the PLRv2 then. It looks interesting.

Well, I installed the route, and the assets and common missing dependencies. There was no track or road bridges and quite a bit of other stuff. So I checked on CM for the list of dependencies and downloaded the rather large list of stuff available to download. There was a rather large list remaining of unknown assets. I'm suspecting those might have existed in prior versions of Trainz (which I don't have, since I just recently started with T:ANE).

Most of the track and a lot of road was still missing. I suspect it works for you in T:ANE because you have a lot of stuff from prior builds.

Too bad. It looked like a nice layout. I assume I can delete any stuff I installed for it in CM and just leave assets that are not faulty, right?

Well, I installed the route, and the assets and common missing dependencies. There was no track or road bridges and quite a bit of other stuff. So I checked on CM for the list of dependencies and downloaded the rather large list of stuff available to download. There was a rather large list remaining of unknown assets. I'm suspecting those might have existed in prior versions of Trainz (which I don't have, since I just recently started with T:ANE).

Most of the track and a lot of road was still missing. I suspect it works for you in T:ANE because you have a lot of stuff from prior builds.

Too bad. It looked like a nice layout. I assume I can delete any stuff I installed for it in CM and just leave assets that are not faulty, right?

Does it say 'missing dependencies' in Content Manager?

Sorry, I uninstalled the route. There were dozens, and since they were all listed as unknown, I didn't think I'd be able to track them all down.

Those GN RS-1s are looking very nice indeed....... I hope they will be up for release sometime! My apologies if i sound like a gimme, the Great Northern is quickly becoming my favorite prototype. Just wish the HO scale models weren't so doggone expensive lol!

Back