Trainz Forge: Routes, Reskins and Renders

An attempt to make the fantastic JMB mallet a coal burner to fit in to freelanced routes more generically...

ebtWEGR.jpg

The engine would need a stoker and an ashpan, perhaps, but still looks OK with the K&L B&O Q3 tender. It's maybe 3' longer than the oil tender but the deck plates align almost perfectly.

Best,smyers

I actually really like the look of that. One of us was talking about converting those things to coal one of these days, and after seeing that skin I'd definitely be on board with that.

Some more WIP shots of the Anywhere Ohio conversion. After getting permission from Ericmp (the original creator of Anywhere Ohio, what this route started out as), I'm happy to announce that one day in the future (don't ask me when) this route will indeed be released!

Today, we catch a glimpse of the LE&E lines through Sterling Falls, Ohio. On the north side of town, the railroad maintained a large yard complex with repair shops. With Sterling Falls being the changeover point between the Lake Division and the Buckeye Division of the CCFtW&C (a LE&E subsidiary), as well as the interchange point with the LE&E's mainline to Toledo and Detroit, it's certainly a hive of activity. Today, we catch train number 89, the westbound Executive as it passes by the LE&E's 8th Avenue yard. Heavy holiday traffic is once again evident, and the amount of mail and express up front may signify a second section of the train close behind. Note the freight tracks below, as well as track number 4 ducking under the passenger mains, tracks 2 and 3, up above.
2018-12-07_160320.jpg

2018-12-07_160349.jpg

Now ducking under Jefferson St, the train slows for its station stop and threads the crossovers at the end of the yard. The Executive was the LE&E's secondary service serving Detroit and Boston, serving to carry overflow traffic and M&E shipments that the famous Motor City Limited did not handle. In addition, while the Motor City Limited operated via the LE&E mainline through Akron, just to the south, the Executive operated via the CCftW&C line through Cleveland, before turning north at Sterling Falls to rejoin the LE&E line to Detroit at Toledo. Additionally, while the Motor City Limited operated via the LE&E's mainline through Pittsburgh, the Executive operated via the CCftW&C's Spencer cutoff, bypassing the Steel City to the north. Although competition with the New York Central was fierce, it's 1947, and the Executive still carries a New York section, as well as cars for Columbus, Ohio; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Kalamazoo, Michigan. Within a year, the train will lose its New York cars, as well as have its routing changed to operate via Pittsburgh, with additional stops being added at Youngstown and Albany. The train will soldier on until March, 1962, when the westbound section would be cut back to a Boston - Pittsburgh local before being cut altogether later that year. Eastbound, the train would last until 1967, when the remnants (a pair of coaches, a snack bar-parlor-lounge, and a single sleeper) were unceremoniously struck from the timetable.
2018-12-07_160439.jpg
2018-12-07_160456.jpg
2018-12-07_160549.jpg

Now leaving Sterling Falls, number 89 swings around the big curve out of the station and under State St.
2018-12-07_160702.jpg

Picking up orders at Parker Street tower, the train crosses over to track 1 on the Buckeye division.
2018-12-07_160749.jpg

Last edited:
Proceeding through SF interlocking, number 89 has just crossed the NYC's mainline through town, and is just about to hit the PRR diamonds.
2018-12-07_160850.jpg

Ducking under the signal bridge guarding the diamonds, the train rolls past the massive Republic Steel complex that dominates the skyline from downtown Sterling Falls.
2018-12-07_160924.jpg

Curving away from the plant, we catch a view of the train's mid-train dining and lounge facilities. A heavyweight diner and Solarium-Snack Bar-Lounge Washington Hill have been assigned to today's run. Washington Hill had previously been built in 1925 for the Trans-Atlantic Limited, a joint service with the Ohio River & Western connecting Boston, Massachusetts with St. Louis, Missouri via Cincinnati, Ohio. With the streamlining of the Trans-Atlantic Limited by the OR&NW in 1936, the car (along with its sister, Bunker Hill) was shifted to pool service, where it regularly worked as a midtrain lounge on the less prestigious members of the LE&E's Deco Fleet.
2018-12-07_161000.jpg

After clearing the interlocking and the Republic Steel interchange, 89 throttles up and blasts down the Buckeye Division towards Toledo. Although not as fast as the Detroiter (13 hours), Wolverine (13 1/2 hours), or Motor City Limited (14 1/2 hours), the train's 15 hour schedule is still brisk. By 1954, the train will have added an extra hour to its schedule, two more by 1962, and an additional half hour on top of that by the time the train met its end in 1967, bringing the total to 18 and 1/2 hours. For now, however, the engineer will have to hustle to meet the tight schedule.
2018-12-07_161139.jpg
2018-12-07_161156.jpg
2018-12-07_161216.jpg

I actually really like the look of that. One of us was talking about converting those things to coal one of these days, and after seeing that skin I'd definitely be on board with that.

That makes two of us. I'd would add one to my fleet of Trainz Forge steam locomotives. Maybe ANL will provides us some more goodies for Christmas (2-8-2T's or 2-6-6-2T's maybe?).

New LE&E stuff is definitely just around the corner, lots and lots of stuff waiting in the wings!

LE&E train number 136, the Advance Motor City Limited passes 8th Avenue Yard in December, 1948. A wreck on the LE&E's mainline has temporarily resulted in traffic being re-routed via the CCFtW&C line through Sterling Falls. A trio of PAs have the train today, no doubt with the sleek and stylish 1936 trainset following a few minutes behind with the Motor City Limited. Passing on track 2, behind the passenger train, is hotshot CC-7, carrying high priority general merchandise, trailers, and perishables from Cleveland to Chicago. Stopped on track 1 underneath the two trains, an extra is paused as the yard switchers cut in a block of cars destined for Columbus.
2018-12-08_222703.jpg
Crews are changed on the extra as an 0-8-0 prepares to pull the caboose back and clear the crossovers, while its sister peeks out from behind the cut of cars in the background, waiting for the caboose to clear and the switches to be lined.
2018-12-08_222740.jpg
2018-12-08_222806.jpg

Last edited:
I know I've been out of action for a while, but I wanted to drop a hello and say the stuff you guys are putting out now looks even more top notch than it did when I fell off the edge of the baseboard. :D Looks fantastic, y'all.

Thanks, good to see you're still around from time to time!

Rebuilding the LE&E station in Sterling Falls:
2018-12-09_035719.jpg
2018-12-09_035702.jpg
2018-12-09_035735.jpg
2018-12-09_035805.jpg
2018-12-09_035829.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! In light of the new station project, I decided now would also be a pretty good time to update Sterling Falls in general. Back when I first backdated Anywhere Ohio, Sterling Falls was the first area I worked on. Now that the rest of the route is progressing nicely, its age was definitely starting to show. So, here are some WiP shots:

2018-12-10_032319.jpg
2018-12-10_032556.jpg
2018-12-10_032656.jpg
2018-12-10_033040.jpg
2018-12-10_033147.jpg

Snow routes are OK to view in the hot August dog days of Summer (very soothing when the AC is on high), but are just downright unpleasant, after seeing people inundated and (some killed), by a huge snowstorm/blizzard, like what just happened this past week

Snow routes are OK to view in the hot August dog days of Summer (very soothing when the AC is on high), but are just downright unpleasant, after seeing people inundated and (some killed), by a huge snowstorm/blizzard, like what just happened this past week

Oh, hey Mr Scrooge, so happy you could pop in and say hey! Sorry Jackson’s incredibly beautiful snowy route offended you because of a completely unrelated incident that has literally nothing to do with a Trainz route. Have a Merry Christmas!

-Ben

To be honest my favorite season in terms of railroading is definitely winter, more specifically from Thanksgiving to New Years. Especially because I tend to model the 30's and 40's, traffic levels are always exceptionally heavy during that period. Lots of holiday traffic, coupled with bad weather forcing many people to travel by rail, and an abundance of Christmas packages results in second sections of trains, lots of M&E up front, more extra freights, and longer freights in general, all within a beautiful snowy landscape. Sign me up!

Be a debby downer all you want Cascade, I think I'll stick to building what I like when I feel like it! :)

Speaking of, more work has been done on the station. Among the things I've added are loudspeakers, lots of signage, station sounds, more advertisements, mail cranes, and phone booths. Still a lot left to do though, and finding a head house to fit above the tracks has proven to be difficult, to say the least.
2018-12-10_174103.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree , fall and winter were always my favorite time to model . The route { your work } shows that . The Station has got to one of the best I've seen in trainzs . I too would like to see more LE&E content . Paint scheme is one I like a lot . A Q what is the canopy your using on the end of the platforms .

The little I've seen of the route , looks fantastic . the yard . rail diamond and steel mill area are vary well done . Thanks for sharing

Matt

Back