Conductor Announcements

AlexBellamy

Dear all,

This has been mentioned several times in various forums but has never had a satisfactory outcome.
I would like a system by which the conductor on a train announces the next station stop.
So far I have tried using the trigger-play sound way, however whilst this works quite well, the sound ends up being global, and when running several ai trains, gets quite loud and annoying!

I also tried editing a placable sound in surveyor with my own .wav file, and whilst this worked to some degree, wasn't the best solution.

I have been playing with the idea of multiple horn sounds but have no idea on how to achieve this!
I was thinking that the easiest way would be for it to built into the loco? But again I have no idea on how to do this, or have a trainz add-on which would work like a media player, and you could playlist all the announcements and then have a hotkey to play the next one.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this a reality then I would love to hear from you!

Alex

You can overcome the problem that you raise of several trains running at once by ensuring that only the driven train passes over the appropriate triggers. This is quite easy to achieve on double track main lines but would be more problematic on single lines. Even so, as most conductors' announcements come on the approach to and leaving a station, you may be able to achieve this with the judicious placing of your triggers.
Sorry I can't give you the answer you were hoping for but this is the best I can come up with.
Alan

Yes of course, and I could use directional triggers as well for the single line tracks, however the problem arises that the "play sound" rule is a global (i.e. plays over the entire world, rather then in the vicinity of the loco) and so when you have multiple trains running, as I do as I have mapped from leeds to retford with the majority of the branch lines as well, all the triggers going off gets very noisy

I'm not sure I really understand your problem here. Since triggers can be set so that they only respond to a train driven by a particular driver, you need only play and hear those that you want to hear. Presumably, conductor's announcements are only intended for your train - so all other trains ignore that trigger. For other sounds, a horn for example, only those trains within earshot will activate the trigger. I can understand that this only works when everything is running as per timetable, otherwise you might get a train sounding its horn ten miles down the line and, for this reason, I would use the horn sound rather sparingly and only when you know you are in earshot. However, for conductor's announcements which was the first point in your post, it should work perfectly.
Good luck
Alan

Back