Patches

NOOJEE31

Way back in November 2013 Shadowarrior announced "Currently the patches are manual download only. We will add them as an autopatch download later on". It is now more than a little 'later on" and I can't find any sign that an autpatch for 58414 to 61388 has become available. Can anyone please enlighten me?
Thanks in advance.
Noojee Ron

I would just go with the manual download, as (at least for me) the auto-patches would always fail upon getting halfway there.
Thanks for being interested enough to try and help. But I am digitally ignorant and have read all the posts about problems experienced even by people with computer skills so it's either autopatch or no patch for me - and, I suspect, numerous others. And anyway, we were promised. If Auran's idea of 'later on' applied in real-world railway operation the company would be out of business in five minutes.But again, thanks.
Noojee Ron

I find the Patch page most confusing ... people with no knowledge of what they are doing, have no idea of what to download, and how many to download, and in what order to download, and what patch should come next in line, and what the heck is SP1 and SP4 ... it's all mumbo jumbo scattered all over the place on the page, giving the newcomer to the game absolutely no clue whatsoever on what to apply and in what order to apply patchs.

I just can't wait for T:ANE to come out and with all the SP's ... alot of newcomers will have absolutely no idea of what they are doing ... as there is no documented detailed instructions on how to patch.

Makes you wonder just how many newcomers buy the game, and pitch it in the trash can, as it is very undocumented as to instructions.

The average father, buying Trainz for his 10 y/o kid, would be totally lost, with no detailed instructions, and throw the game away !

I bought TRS2006 and it was plug and play, as the build was the latest patch ... why can't things be that simple, and user friendly ?

Trainz is one gigantic headache, one on top of another !

Last edited:
I find the Patch page most confusing ... people with no knowledge of what they are doing, have no idea of what to download, and how many to download, and in what order to download, and what patch should come next in line, and what the heck is SP1 and SP4 ... it's all mumbo jumbo scattered all over the place on the page, giving the newcomer to the game absolutely no clue whatsoever on what to apply and in what order to apply patchs.

I just can't wait for T:ANE to come out and with all the SP's ... alot of newcomers will have absolutely no idea of what they are doing ... as there is no documented detailed instructions on how to patch.

Makes you wonder just how many newcomers buy the game, and pitch it in the trash can, as it is very undocumented as to instructions.

The average father, buying Trainz for his 10 y/o kid, would be totally lost, with no detailed instructions, and throw the game away !

I bought TRS2006 and it was plug and play, as the build was the latest patch ... why can't things be that simple, and user friendly ?

Trainz is one gigantic headache, one on top of another !

SP1 convinced me to stop running TS12 for around 2 years, and I just started running it again this week. I am pretty computer savy, and there is no way I am going to possibly wreck a good running sim, for the possibility of what??? To further complicate things, now I can't figure out if when getting the new version, T:ane ( what a horrible name, are they serious), if any of the content I have that is unpatched from 49222, will work with the new version, or will I be forced to patch anyway ( which I will not). So I guess I am stuck with 49222 and TS 12 until I decide to buy another sim and start over. What a way to run a railroad. ;)

What I propose is that a patch instruction page, and flowchart, be drawn up so that different builds have a detailed, patch by patch, list of instructions and a flowchart, as to what build to apply next, in succession.

As every user that has a different build, can follow that builds specific flowchart of patch's.

And too a description of what each patch will do, or will disable / enable, in the higher patch.

Ex: SP1, or HF4 ... what the heck does it do, and exactly who needs this patch, and why does he need it ... etc ... etc ...

As for the name T:ANE, I suggested:

High-Speed-trainz_zps9c5f186b.jpg

Last edited:
I have been reading about these patches, auto patches, what patching does, and what it breaks, for 2 days now, and am totally confused. I found one page where it lists some service pack patches that appear to go from 49922 to 61388. http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/ Does this mean that all one has to do is download that one patch and let it run? I have also read posts that say, one is better to download the individual patches instead of the one patch, because the single patch runs half way and quits. Is that true, because if it is, why is the single patch offered to users that will try and install it?

Next issue, if I decide to install the patch, is what should I back up on a separate drive, the entire TS12 folder, or the User Data folder only, in case TS12 gets totally screwed, and allows me to go back to 49922?

What is the probability that once I have the patch installed, I will spend hours or days trying to get TS12 to run again, the way it does now.
Will I lose the content that I purchased from Auran and 3rd party Payware routes like Maria Pass?

When the new version of Trainz comes out next year, will my present content have to have latest patch in order to run on the new version, or is it not necessary, or does anyone really know if present content in TS12 will even run on the new version of Trainz?

You can see by my questions, that I am totally confused regarding this patch issue, as I was when I quit using Trainz 2 years ago. Again, I can't figure out if it is worth it to patch, or am I just wasting my time and possibly ruining that sim that I have now?

Last edited:
The N3V DLC assets are replacable, as they are listed in your N3V account.

Assets like the NKP Berkshire are automatically installed in your game, when you start it ... I am unsure if you can back them up on an external hard drive, or not.

All your favorite 3rd party assets, and all your routes are in the Userdata folder.

The Userdata folder (and possibly another folder IDK) can be saved on an external hard drive (that costs @ $40 - $80).

Backing up some irreplaceable assets on an external hard drive is a good idea, because one never knows when a PC will go south, and fail.

I have an external hard drive, and created a folder which I named: "Downloads).

Whenever I go to a 3rd party site I download an asset, I click "Save" and that CDP I direct to my PC Downloads folder.

When my PC Downloads folder is becoming huge, with a thousand CDP's ... I regularly send them all over to my External Hard Drive - Downloads folder.

There is nothing that says that yor external hard drive can't go bad someday ... but that's PC life. :eek:

I always take my very favorite routes and assets, in the CM by, clicking each one individually: "Save As CDP" in my PC Downloads folder, which eventually all get sent to my External Hard Drive - Downloads folder.

If you have your Userdata folder backedup on an external hard drive ... If your PC ever failed, or a patch failed ... You could reinstall the game and start over again ... by deleting the factory Userdata folder, and pasting the "Saved Userdata folder in its empty place.

Never cancel a patch, if it seems stalled like 16 hours, it usually is doing something silently.

If yoiu cancel a patch, you must uninstall Trainz, and reinstall, starting over from scratch.

Your antivirus must be temporarilly turned off while installing Trainz, and while patching.

It is best to install a patch overnight while you are sleeping, as you can not sit and watch it patch ... Go to school, or work, and maybe your patch will be completed when you get home 8-16 hours later ... some patch's only take a few hours though.

When you installed Trainz for the first time... What build numeral was displayed down in the corner of your screen ???

Last edited:
I already have everything on my harddrive backed up to an external harddrive with a backup program ( macrium Reflect) I can't remember what the original build number was, when I first installed Trainz, but I think I did one update to get to 49922.

Mine was the pre-SP1 version: Build 46957
I was directed by someone to patch accordingly:
This is my build flowchart: Original Build: 46957 --> 48249 --> 49922 --> 61388 <--THIS MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG THOUGH !

DO NOT USE MY ABOVE BUILD PATCH METHODS, NOR TRUST IN MY ADVICE, AS I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG !

This may not be your case though, as you may have the SP1 build from the factory, or you may have been another build ... IDK

All versions of trainz should have an easy to follow flowchart such as above, to point out the correct series of patch's to apply for each build.

We need an expert like Shaneturner to devise a series of different flowcharts for every original build of Trainz ... Please Shaneturner (or anyone else that is also knowledgeable) please help us out, by devising all these patch flowcharts ... describing what they do, and what they enable/disable for each build. :cool:

I could do it ... but I have no correct knowledge on patching various build numerals.

This series of flowcharts is what I propose

TS09
Original build: WWWW --> WWWW1--> WWWW2--> WWWW3
Original build: XXXXX --> XXXX1 --> XXXX2 --> XXXX3
Original build: YYYYY --> YYYY1--> YYYY2 --> YYYY3
Original build: ZZZZZ --> ZZZZ1 --> ZZZZ2 --> ZZZZZ3

TS10

TS12

Last edited:
I guess another question is " How can you tell what the original build was for your version of Trainz. I can remember patching to 49922, but not sure what I started with. Is it important to know what the original was, since I would assume once any version is patched to say 49922, then should that be the starting point for any subsequent patches?

I guess another question is " How can you tell what the original build was for your version of Trainz. I can remember patching to 49922, but not sure what I started with. Is it important to know what the original was, since I would assume once any version is patched to say 49922, then should that be the starting point for any subsequent patches?
I'm sure somebody here could guess what your original build was, but I meticulously write down everthing, and keep a handwritten log book of PC / Games stuff. On the inside of my Trainz disc case, I put a piece of masking tape, with my E-Mail address, UN & PW, CD Registration Code, Original build, and a list of every build that I applied thereafter, as well as writing all this information down in my log book, as well as in a Notepad file on my PC.

I think I have medically undiagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder :hehe:

I got a responce from Mr. Shanetuner12, and I hope he can devise a short, concise, easy to decipher, flowchart of patch's for each version of Trainz, as he is the best man for documenting this job !

Last edited:

Robert,

Check here:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Trainz_build_versions

Scroll down for TS12.

Yes I looked at the link , but it still doesn't answer the question regarding the original build when I installed it, or for that matter, why is the original build have any relevance, once it has been patched to a higher version. I am starting to realize that even though it has been 2 years since I stopped running TS12, there is just as much confusion regarding the patches today, as there was 2 years ago. I have read many posts with people saying that they brought TS12 up to the latest version, ran into issues, and rolled back to 49922 to get it working properly again... I think I will stay where I am, since everything works with no big issues, and just not update or install anything new. I wonder what percentage of TS12 users are still running 49922. Would be an interesting poll.

Yes I looked at the link , but it still doesn't answer the question regarding the original build when I installed it, or for that matter, why is the original build have any relevance, once it has been patched to a higher version. I am starting to realize that even though it has been 2 years since I stopped running TS12, there is just as much confusion regarding the patches today, as there was 2 years ago. I have read many posts with people saying that they brought TS12 up to the latest version, ran into issues, and rolled back to 49922 to get it working properly again... I think I will stay where I am, since everything works with no big issues, and just not update or install anything new. I wonder what percentage of TS12 users are still running 49922. Would be an interesting poll.

Bob,

If you brought it up to 499xxx then there's no reason to worry what the original version is anymore since there were a couple of quick patches that came out from the beginning. You want to go from where you are now; not necessarily where you came from. The only time this matters is if you are using the Just Trainz version, which requires a DVD in the drive, or Steam version which has an auto-patch in its interface.

Since the earlier posts on patching, of which there were many, many misconceptions by people who never patched "but had trouble", things have changed. There were some teething pains and issues which N3V addressed afterwards, and we've since figured out the things to watch out for.

The thing is, the patching process is LONG, and I mean it takes several hours to complete then it's followed by a data validation. Should you decide to patch, keep this in mind. The process though is simple and is made easier if you prepare for it ahead of time. Having said that here's a process I've used:

1) Backup the Trainz install using any method you are comfortable with. I have extra space so I did a full disk-to-disk copy of the install to create a duplicate.
1) Defrag if you have a platter drive(s).
2) Clean up temp files to ensure there's space
3) Turn off antivirus
4) Let the patch run.

This can run overnight and then some. Perform any database repairs when requested to do so, and let it run through the validation process. Once this is done, apply the quick hotfixes, which might not even be necessary if the patch brings everything up-to-date. Keep in mind there maybe some errors regarding downloaded content and invalid serial number messages. This has to do with the DLC items such as the Blue Comet, AeroTrain and others stuff. The serial numbers are no longer needed and the content is installed via the DLC server automatically.

If you are concerned about this process, you might want to spring for 25-bucks and get the new download version. This has all the patches up-to-date, then it's only a matter of copying over the userdata folder (yes the whole thing) then running a DB-Repair. I did it this way on my most recent reinstall when I replaced a faulty hard drive.

John

Just Trains doesn't need a dvd in the drive hasn't for a long time. I have a Just Trains TS12 version here as well as an N3V digital both are installed and the is no difference other than the Just Trains version was a higher build so needed fewer patches.

I was wondering what would be the difference in all builds (09, 10, 12) if you did not patch at all ... what would be the short coming's of each version ?

And what things are disabled, if you patch too far up ?

Bob,

If you brought it up to 499xxx then there's no reason to worry what the original version is anymore since there were a couple of quick patches that came out from the beginning. You want to go from where you are now; not necessarily where you came from. The only time this matters is if you are using the Just Trainz version, which requires a DVD in the drive, or Steam version which has an auto-patch in its interface.

Since the earlier posts on patching, of which there were many, many misconceptions by people who never patched "but had trouble", things have changed. There were some teething pains and issues which N3V addressed afterwards, and we've since figured out the things to watch out for.

The thing is, the patching process is LONG, and I mean it takes several hours to complete then it's followed by a data validation. Should you decide to patch, keep this in mind. The process though is simple and is made easier if you prepare for it ahead of time. Having said that here's a process I've used:

1) Backup the Trainz install using any method you are comfortable with. I have extra space so I did a full disk-to-disk copy of the install to create a duplicate.
1) Defrag if you have a platter drive(s).
2) Clean up temp files to ensure there's space
3) Turn off antivirus
4) Let the patch run.

This can run overnight and then some. Perform any database repairs when requested to do so, and let it run through the validation process. Once this is done, apply the quick hotfixes, which might not even be necessary if the patch brings everything up-to-date. Keep in mind there maybe some errors regarding downloaded content and invalid serial number messages. This has to do with the DLC items such as the Blue Comet, AeroTrain and others stuff. The serial numbers are no longer needed and the content is installed via the DLC server automatically.

If you are concerned about this process, you might want to spring for 25-bucks and get the new download version. This has all the patches up-to-date, then it's only a matter of copying over the userdata folder (yes the whole thing) then running a DB-Repair. I did it this way on my most recent reinstall when I replaced a faulty hard drive.

John

Well your post makes it quite a bit clearer. I think what I will do is backup up the user data, which I already have, a 2nd time to make certain nothing happens to it and then run the Service Pack Hotfix 4 patch which is supposed to take it from 49922 to 61388 that is on this page. http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/

At that point, if it crashes and burns, I will just uninstall TS12 and purchase the new digital version which is already patched completely for the $29..., which should be a good backup plan.

It you have TS12 already, there would be no real need to buy another copy of TS12 ... just to get the patch, when you can download it yourself for free.

Back