Buy on steam ===> Validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still don't understand STEAM BUNDLE.

You get a great game and DLC for $3.99.

Harold

You get junk. Better to spend a little more and get it from N3V. And they're running sales all the time. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." "If it seems too good to be true, it is." etc. etc.

The CD Keys option is in the client itself, and is something you get when the game is installed.

Shane

If true, then this is the big "gotcha" you have to be wary about when buying digital content or most other things that appear to be "bargains". There's usually some sort of catch.

You get junk. Better to spend a little more and get it from N3V. And they're running sales all the time. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." "If it seems too good to be true, it is." etc. etc.

You do not get junk. Unless I've been entering a parallel universe the past few evenings or dreamt them up I've been driving around in a fully functional TS12. Yes 'you get what you pay for' and I paid 3.59 Euro for TS12 and 7 DLCs which are all present and correct, as far as I can figure out, on my PC. I have installed a few small layouts from the DLS, more to see would they work and to learn the process, without any problems.

I get it that you don't like steam and don't want it near your computer, fair enough, but for anybody with the steam client already installed and are looking to get TS12 I'd highly recommend the Bundle Stars deal.

You do not get junk. Unless I've been entering a parallel universe the past few evenings or dreamt them up I've been driving around in a fully functional TS12. Yes 'you get what you pay for' and I paid 3.59 Euro for TS12 and 7 DLCs which are all present and correct, as far as I can figure out, on my PC. I have installed a few small layouts from the DLS, more to see would they work and to learn the process, without any problems.

I get it that you don't like steam and don't want it near your computer, fair enough, but for anybody with the steam client already installed and are looking to get TS12 I'd highly recommend the Bundle Stars deal.

It's junk if you need to have the Steam client installed, period, especially in my situation where it's not even an option for the ultimate recipient. Also, N3V regularly puts TS12 on sale, often with bundles. Coupled with the release of T:ANE towards the holidays, there is a good chance TS12 and content will go on a fire sale. While it will likely go for a few bucks more, one does not have to deal with Steam, not to mention the other versioning issues.

Except that it's unlikely I'll bother again. I've put too much time and trouble into this already, and the entire issue is generally off-putting.

Last edited:
There's always a catch with some digital downloads - that's why I've only got 2 of my games on Steam.

Shane

Nearly all digital content is this way, especially outside of Trainz. Interestingly, I was telling another friend recently why I've pretty much given up on purchasing any kind of digital content; how there is always a catch, a gimmick, and something that can and eventually will go wrong down the road when it's too late to do anything about it, and how overall it's just not worth the hassle. Now, one of the few times I don't listen to myself, I get snookered with the Steam Bundle. Oh, well, now I have an "it happened to me!" story and it only set me back $3.99! :eek:

Last edited:
You still don't understand STEAM BUNDLE.

You get a great game and DLC for $3.99.

Harold

What part of this don't you understand.
Its still JUNK!
You have been warned, again.
Steam keys are not the same as CD keys and will not work!
It's junk if you need to have the Steam client installed.
I yelled my head off and got my 3.99 refunded.

I have yet to figure out why it is junk.

So it runs on Steam, if you aren't a Steamaphobic you have TS12 and DLC for $3.99.

The serial numbers can be registered on Planet Auran after running the Steam keys and used in the N3V version.

The only one that doesn't work is the NKP DLC because there is no CD key.

I have run Steam for a long time and have had no problem with Steam. That is 194 games.

Geez
Harold

I have yet to figure out why it is junk.

So it runs on Steam, if you aren't a Steamaphobic you have TS12 and DLC for $3.99.

The serial numbers can be registered on Planet Auran after running the Steam keys and used in the N3V version.

The only one that doesn't work is the NKP DLC because there is no CD key.

I have run Steam for a long time and have had no problem with Steam. That is 194 games.

Geez
Harold

Putting aside that Steam is inherently junk...

Putting aside the need for internet validation...

Putting aside that it's one more service that wants to run on a machine with a hundred other services running...

Putting aside that the Steam version generally has patching and support issues...

It won't work for my situation. Neither of the people I had planned to gift it to are capable of even installing it (thanks to the internet validation) let alone downloading it. A problem that could have been avoided they issued actual CD keys as opposed to Steam keys. As a result, my purchase is absolutely worthless. In fact, it's worth less than junk: Junk can still be useful.

Last edited:
Good Morning All

Yes, the Steam editions of Trainz Simulator 12 do have a full Trainz Simulator 12 serial number/cd key. However, this is only accessible once it has been installed. The 'steam key' that is supplied in the 'bundle' is the key needed to activate the software on Steam, and this is outlined in the system requirements (and shown by the multiple times it mentions Steam for the software).

@RRSignal
If you do not wish to use Steam, then this is your choice. Despite what you may feel about Steam, this is a fully copy of Trainz being sold in the bundle and is not 'junk'. It may not suit your own purpose, but that doesn't mean it's not suitable for other people, and calling it 'junk' is not appropriate (unless this is your feeling about TS12 in general, then that is fair enough).

Again, as above, once installed, you receive a cd key/serial number. Which you will then need to use to register Trainz in your account. Steam Keys and the Serial Number/CD Key are separate parts of the Steam system. One is used to activate Trainz in Steam, the other is used to register it in your account. In theory, the serial number/cd key could would in a non Steam install, but I have not tried it, so cannot guarantee it (I know the earlier DLC packs did work in non steam installs though).

I would ask you to correct your signature to reflect this correctly. As a note, the TS12 from Steam is basically the same as TS12 SP1 HF4. There have been alterations for Steam, however these differences do not change the functionality of Trainz itself.

Regards

Good Morning All

Yes, the Steam editions of Trainz Simulator 12 do have a full Trainz Simulator 12 serial number/cd key. However, this is only accessible once it has been installed. The 'steam key' that is supplied in the 'bundle' is the key needed to activate the software on Steam, and this is outlined in the system requirements (and shown by the multiple times it mentions Steam for the software).

@RRSignal
If you do not wish to use Steam, then this is your choice. Despite what you may feel about Steam, this is a fully copy of Trainz being sold in the bundle and is not 'junk'. It may not suit your own purpose, but that doesn't mean it's not suitable for other people, and calling it 'junk' is not appropriate (unless this is your feeling about TS12 in general, then that is fair enough).

Again, as above, once installed, you receive a cd key/serial number. Which you will then need to use to register Trainz in your account. Steam Keys and the Serial Number/CD Key are separate parts of the Steam system. One is used to activate Trainz in Steam, the other is used to register it in your account. In theory, the serial number/cd key could would in a non Steam install, but I have not tried it, so cannot guarantee it (I know the earlier DLC packs did work in non steam installs though).

I would ask you to correct your signature to reflect this correctly. As a note, the TS12 from Steam is basically the same as TS12 SP1 HF4. There have been alterations for Steam, however these differences do not change the functionality of Trainz itself.

Regards

Zec, kindly please detail for me how I'm supposed to accomplish this on a non-internet computer. I certainly would agree that it would not be junk i.e. a waste purchase if I can actually use my purchase as intended.

Thank you.

Last edited:
As outlined in the system requirements, it requires Steam to download; which in turn means that it will require an internet connection. This is not the product's fault if you do not have an internet connection, it just means that you actually can't meet the system requirements outlined for the product (Steam being 'download client' for digital download products from their service)... You have, after all, purchased a Steam version of Trainz, and this is pretty clear on the page.

Regards

As outlined in the system requirements, it requires Steam to download; which in turn means that it will require an internet connection. This is not the product's fault if you do not have an internet connection, it just means that you actually can't meet the system requirements outlined for the product (Steam being 'download client' for digital download products from their service)... You have, after all, purchased a Steam version of Trainz, and this is pretty clear on the page.

Regards

Then, it's "junk" as far as I'm concerned. It's about as useful as the two-legged chair in my basement. Probably less, because I can chop that up into firewood. I'm also leaving out that the Steam client requirement was not actually stated upfront i.e. that you get Steam keys, not CD keys at time of purchase, and need the Steam client to proceed any further. Which isn't even an option in my situation.

Again, this is why digital content is usually more trouble it's worth. There's usually a "gotcha".

Actually, sounds more like a problem of being less-than-upfront about how it would work, hence why I said, digital content is usually more trouble than it's worth.

I suppose, but it just seems like you'd know if it was a STEAM bundle that you'd have to use STEAM. I have no experience with the specific bundle pack, but STEAM is in every nook and cranny of that site, and it is pretty obvious it is all STEAM provided games... which you cant get... or play... without you know, STEAM.

Buy the official version from N3V (or JR gives you a free $20 loco thrown in).

Why would anyone buy on Steam, and purposely side step the official N3V version, just to save a few measly bucks ? And then have to deal with Steam DRM.

Because I have collection of Games on steam -_- ... Maybe you guys are rich I am not (Still a Student :/)

All companies see steam as a good sale yard for their products...If you see it is actually and if both the companies are earning profit then why would they have problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back