Buy on steam ===> Validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy did this thread go walk-about since I read it last.....

So let me ask this, if I'm understanding all involved parties correctly.... IF Person A Buys Trainz12 on Computer A, downloads and installs, gets the CD Key, and then *Copies* this CD key, and the deletes Trainz12, Steam and everything associated to that install, they'd still have/own a working CD Key Right? And could then gift this CD-Key to Person B on Computer B with no working internet Connection? In which case they would just have to take their original N3V CDs and install off of that, but use the New Steam Supplied CD-Key when prompted? After which Person B could then associate that CD Key with their own CM and Auran Accounts?

Does this sound possible to someone in the know?
Falcus

I suppose, but it just seems like you'd know if it was a STEAM bundle that you'd have to use STEAM. I have no experience with the specific bundle pack, but STEAM is in every nook and cranny of that site, and it is pretty obvious it is all STEAM provided games... which you cant get... or play... without you know, STEAM.

Because, like, you know, the poster above said, like, you know, you get CD KEYS when you, like, totally buy the Bundle Stars bundle. But, like, it totally turns out that you don't get CD KEYS, but, like, get STEAM KEYS. WHAT-EVERRRRR! Like, OMG! Srsly? So, like, the other guy was, like, totally wrong. And, like, some people claim there's some way you still can, like, you know, totally get the CD KEYS, but, like, have to go through getting this stupid software installed, which, like, won't work because, like, my BFF doesn't have internet, you know. So it, like, totally won't work! Gag me with a spoon! And they, like, totally didn't say that upfront, which, like, is why I hate buying software or digital content. Like, there's always some sort of catch and nobody can be straight with you, you know. Like, this is more trouble than it's worth, you know. WHAT-EVERRRRR!

Last edited:
I read the first line. Not sure what any of the rest was or why you act like a teenage girl. You do get a serial (or as you call it CD key) but only after you have installed it on STEAM. That has already been established but that wasn't really the issue though, but the fact that you bought (or you wanted to buy) it from a STEAM game store that only sells steam game keys and expect it to not use STEAM is where the problem is. If some of you were confused by that it is a pity. I hope you were able to work it out and it won't keep you up at night.

As for the real question Falcus, I would guess as long as you don't register that key here to your auran username then yes you would have a key you could in theory give to someone else.

Last edited:
I read the first line. Not sure what any of the rest was or why you act like a teenage girl. You do get a serial (or as you call it CD key) but only after you have installed it on STEAM. That has already been established but that wasn't really the issue though, but the fact that you bought (or you wanted to buy) it from a STEAM game store and expect it to not use STEAM is where the problem is. If some of you were confused by that it is a pity. I hope you were able to work it out and it won't keep you up at night.

As for the real question Falcus, I would guess as long as you don't register that key here to your auran username then yes you would have a key you could in theory give to someone else.

I'm actually replying to your post that was written exactly that way, and wanted to be sure we're speaking the same language. If you would prefer replies not to be in teen girl-speak, then I politely suggest that you don't post in it. And, yes, I was operating under hminky's misleading advice that I could purchase the bundle and get CD keys, which I cannot (at least not directly). I was concerned that there was some sort of caveat or "gotcha": This is why I attempted to explain my intentions in my first post, upfront, as well as why I hadn't purchased a bundle previously.

In any case, as I've already covered, I'm not about to lose sleep over it. It's not even worth trying to get a refund, like another poster did. Again, this is another case of "why I should have listened to my own advice". At $3.99, it's a cheap lesson in avoiding digital content.

Last edited:
I'm actually replying to your post that was written exactly that way, and wanted to be sure we're speaking the same language.

I guess we are not. I said nothing at all like any of that mess you pounded out there. Must be that reading thing again. I'll be on my way :hehe:

I guess we are not. I said nothing at all like any of that mess you pounded out there. Must be that reading thing again. I'll be on my way :hehe:

Actually, you did. Granted, I got a bit carried away in the part, but I assure you, it was even harder to write than to read! :)

I most certainly did not. I don't think I have to prove that, I just didn't. If you prefer to fantasize that I was actually trying to be read that way go ahead I won't stop you. I know some people are excited by some very peculiar things.

Thank you for the effort to share with the rest of us though! You do always provide a good laugh.

Edit: Look, Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. You missed the part about the bundle thing not doing what you wanted, and failed to correctly read a few posts, but hey nobody is holding that against you. Maybe you were too excited to buy cheap copies of Trainz to read the instructions - that is okay. It isn't your fault you didn't realize it would invoke using your enemy of a digital download software manager or even worse DRM. Just relax, play Trainz or something else, it will all be okay.

Last edited:
I most certainly did not. I don't think I have to prove that, I just didn't. If you prefer to fantasize that I was actually trying to be read that way go ahead I won't stop you. I know some people are excited by some very peculiar things.

Actually, you did, and the proof is in your post (sound familiar?), but I guess we'll have to agree that you didn't mean to come off the way you did. I'll leave it as written:

without you know, STEAM.

No need to belabor this any further.

Edit: Look, Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. You missed the part about the bundle thing not doing what you wanted, and failed to correctly read a few posts, but hey nobody is holding that against you. Maybe you were too excited to buy cheap copies of Trainz to read the instructions - that is okay. It isn't your fault you didn't realize it would invoke using your enemy of a digital download software manager or even worse DRM. Just relax, play Trainz or something else, it will all be okay.

Oh, I never denied that: Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly! The mistake was listening to the second poster giving bogus advice when I should have known better. Coupled with the fact that the bundle didn't state upfront that the software client was needed (thank you for acknowledging that this part wasn't my fault, BTW) in order to - maybe, possibly - obtain the CD keys using the non-CD keys provided, yep, it was a mistake.

As I've said elsewhere, the old sayings "you get what you pay for", "there's always a catch", "if seems too good to be true, it is", etc. apply now more than ever.

However, thank you for your concern: I will play Trainz as you stated, and all WILL be okay. No need to fret. If anything, this entire incident affirms those old adages, as well as my attitudes toward purchasing digital content in general and I plan to help others learn from my experience.

Last edited:
Oh, I never denied that: Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly! The mistake was listening to the second poster giving bogus advice when I should have known better. Coupled with the fact that the bundle didn't state upfront that the software client was needed (thank you for acknowledging that this part wasn't my fault, BTW) in order to - maybe, possibly - obtain the CD keys using the non-CD keys provided, yep, it was a mistake.

Sorry, I did not give bogus advice in my post about CD keys so don't insult me. The thread was about buying a STEAM download.

You have a lack of reading comprehension that is unreal. It was your fault.

Don't blame others for your stupidity, admit you saw the word "Steam" and came on to troll out the thread with an anti-steam rant.

I can't believe you are still on this thread, I would have been embarrassed and went home long ago.

Thanks mate...I think this is not the same for other games that's why I was confused.

Vishal

You are welcome, your success makes up for the stupidity of others and make me want to come back to forums.

Harold

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not give bogus advice in my post about CD keys so don't insult me. The thread was about buying a STEAM download.

You have a lack of reading comprehension that is unreal. It was your fault.

Don't blame others for your stupidity, admit you saw the word "Steam" and came on to troll out the thread with an anti-steam rant.

I can't believe you are still on this thread, I would have been embarrassed and went home long ago.

You absolutely should be embarrassed and go home. For knowingly misleading people. Especially knowing my intent (and, assuming you don't live deep in a cave, you probably should also know that a lot of people don't like Steam for various reasons.)

Contrary to your claims, you don't buy CD keys; you get Steam keys. It's that simple. By contrast, most other non-Steam sellers give out CD keys immediately, including N3V's SimulatorCentral (Perhaps you've heard of them? You know, the folks who actually MAKE Trainz.) Now, based on Shane and some others, there is supposedly a way to exchange the Steam keys for CD keys, but that's far from an upfront process; it involves downloading the Steam client and going through the whole Steam rigamarole. That's kind of a big, big, big thing to leave out.

The problem with fanboys is that they tend to think everyone lives in the same little bubble they do. Not everybody has Steam installed, not everybody is a part of the Steam ecosystem, and some people don't want to be. So, it's easy to give bad advice like you did. It kind of reminds me of the folks who tell you to get in touch with them through Facebook. FB might have a billion users and seem ubiquitous, but there are still 5 billion of us who aren't on it and who want little to do with it.

Last edited:
I didn't say you were buying CD keys, I said you did get CD keys to register.

You get the CD keys, they register at N3V. The only thing that doesn't have a CD key is the NKP DLC.

Harold

I will leave it to this:

I suppose, but it just seems like you'd know if it was a STEAM bundle that you'd have to use STEAM. I have no experience with the specific bundle pack, but STEAM is in every nook and cranny of that site, and it is pretty obvious it is all STEAM provided games... which you cant get... or play... without you know, STEAM.

Geez, so many children left behind
Harold

You are unbelievable. Any sane person could go to that site and read the information and decide if they wanted to buy steam keys or not since it is right there in the open. Something tells me they put the 'How it works' link there for a reason. But that was too difficult for you and now you will lurk around here and try to tell us all about how wronged you were and futilely attempt to make others look bad whenever they disagree with you? Harold tried to help you, and YOU made the decision to skip reading the instructions. That was YOUR wrong, not his.

I am sure you will try insert some additional context into this post and try your best to sound intelligent in your next reply... Just admit you were wrong already - oh wait you can't do that any better than read so fantasy world takes over and everyone becomes fanboys of whatever you disagree with. At this point you are back in your old trolling habits again on your road to banville.

You are unbelievable. Any sane person could go to that site and read the information and decide if they wanted to buy steam keys or not since it is right there in the open. Something tells me they put the 'How it works' link there for a reason. But that was too difficult for you and now you will lurk around here and try to tell us all about how wronged you were and futilely attempt to make others look bad whenever they disagree with you? Harold tried to help you, and YOU made the decision to skip reading the instructions. That was YOUR wrong, not his.

I am sure you will try insert some additional context into this post and try your best to sound intelligent in your next reply... Just admit you were wrong already - oh wait you can't do that any better than read so fantasy world takes over and everyone becomes fanboys of whatever you disagree with. At this point you are back in your old trolling habits again on your road to banville.

Because, if they operated anything like, I don't know, MOST other non-Steam retailers (e.g. SimulatorCentral, Shinyloot until recently, etc.) then you get CD keys upfront, not some other key that has to be redeemed in some roundabout fashion. Something hminky said nothing about until after the purchase. How convenient.

I did admit being wrong, for the umpteenth time. For following the advice of hminky, when I should have known better. I should have realized that there was some sort of gotcha, some sort of string attached, especially what with Steam being involved. no doubt, they rope in lots of people this way. I suppose I could do what one other poster did and request a refund from this retailer, but, frankly, it serves as a valuable - and rather cheap - reminder that you there are more charlatans than ever in the digital world.

Attacking other members over something that was previously clarified is not acceptable behavior. Regarding STEAM, many people use it and enjoy it so this would be a good deal for them, as well as the folks who have steam for other games and want the DLC at discounted prices by retrieving the keys from steam. If one does not care for steam, they can easily go buy the DLC or game from N3V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back