A Clean Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same here in Australia with the "you know.." syndrome. I'm like, you know, guilty of it myself sometimes.

I guess we are getting away from profanity now, but sports people here habitually speak in meaningless clichés as a matter of professional pride and don't quite know how to finish a sentence. Asked for a comment after a football match they will string together something like "aw look, y'know its a game of 4 quarters and full credit to the opposition, their talls are prodigious but at the end of the day you have to walk the talk and capitalise on your opportunities, yeah no so when I saw the big guy go up with his arms stretched out like a giant pair of testicles at the 27 minute mark in the final quater, I knew we could bring home the bacon and like I said, winners are grinners but its a week to week proposition and yeah, so..."

It is enough to make you use the F word.

:) So true...

Add 'and duff like dat' and we'll fully understand what he's talking about, right?

John

I agree with the opening post too.

Now if only we could stomp on the fashion of using 'like' every second word. Like, it's not swearing as such, but like it's damned annoying when like someone is all like 'whoa dude' and I'm like 'Oh My God', I'm just like sitting here minding my own whatever.

That would be "awesome" if that would happen :hehe:.

Lennard

While there's no need to use the copulative expletive on a forum, especially ones with younger members, language is a constantly evolving thing. That word can comes across in many instances as a verbal exclamation mark though I don't dispute for a second that it is often used to deliberately offend.

There are many actions and words I see and hear these days which would have elicited horror from my peers when I was a youngster. As Bill I think mentioned earlier, words like 'bloody' or 'arse' would have earned a clip round the ear but are perfectly acceptable nowadays (plus clipping kids round the lug probably breaks some international law on human rights now!). I'm not even sure if either word is deemed swearing these days but they certainly don't have the stigma attached to them of old. I still remember a total stranger enraged by me saying 'bum' and wanting to wash my mouth out with soap.

Actions like giving someone the fingers were also frowned upon. If someone used the two finger salute when I was in primary school (for you folks across the drink, that's elementary I think ) the rest of the kids would look on with round mouths exclaiming "ohhhhhhhh" and someone would normally say "I'm telling". Innocent times.

Standards change all the time. Sadly I think manners have declined also which may provide a little explanation as to why words we deemed unusable in the past are fine now. There is still that one word that again, I think Bill mentioned, which has lost none of its taboo and is almost universally gauranteed to offend.

And black people have started to have this redundant, "Y'know wha'm sayin'?" added to their sentences.

We are ALL different, thus have different views. It's the presentation that determines acceptance. As you wish to not see vulgar F-words, I wish blanket statements would go away as well. Mad respect to you Dave alone based on your content. This was disappointing...

Hi everybody.
I completely agree with the opening posters statements and would also wish to thank the moderators for keeping this forum such a pleasant place to visit.

With regard to people using expletives in everyday conversation, then it can be said that freedom of speech allows them to use such language. However, I also feel that those in the vicinity of someone using expletive language also have a right not to have to listen to that language.

It has been stated in this thread that in these “modern“ times expletives are acceptable due to their common use in films, books etc. The difference there is that a person can walk out of the cinema or turn off the TV should it be in a film or in the case of a book simply just stops reading it. That said, it is certainly a different situation In the case of someone using expletive language in general conversation. In the foregoing a person nearby may have no alternative but to listen to that language especially in the workplace.

Prior to retirement in October last year I owned my own company employing 14 people. In that company we made it a condition of employment that no expletive language was to be used in the vicinity of the general open office where the legal typists and the case support employees work. In recent months I have returned to the company to help out following a serious accident to one of the employees who purchased the company from myself. On return I have been glad to witness that the above rule regarding expletive language is still in force and I believe it still makes for a much better atmosphere where people have to work closely with one another.

With regard to persons using blanket sentences in conversation such as “y know”, I tend to find that those persons are also very “sloppy” when giving written statement to any situation. One of my delights has always been to watch some smart lawyer take apart a written statement such as the foregoing in open court.

In one such recent action I have been involved in, a plaintive in a case against his employer made a written statement advising that his employer “dropped a clanger” with regard to his working conditions. The solicitor for the employer asked the plaintiff exactly what a dropped clanger was. After a few minutes of cross questioning on the matter the former employee was reduced to a quivering, snivelling lump of jelly in the witness box of the industrial court. It certainly made a good morning’s entertainment for all of those including myself who witnessed the debacle.

Therefore, when it comes to the use of the English language both written and in conversation just look to the law courts and to how they use our language and you will not go far wrong.

Bill

Last edited:
We are ALL different, thus have different views. It's the presentation that determines acceptance. As you wish to not see vulgar F-words, I wish blanket statements would go away as well. Mad respect to you Dave alone based on your content. This was disappointing...

I wasn't saying anything against Black people. My absolute best friend is a black minister and he doesn't talk like that. He has a masters degree and none of his children talk like that either.

I wasn't saying anything against Black people. My absolute best friend is a black minister and he doesn't talk like that. He has a masters degree and none of his children talk like that either.

I'll back you up, but update you at the same time. It is not a Black people thing at all. I think it is more of a lifestyle or new style culture that uses the phrase that you don't like. Where I live, a huge Latino community, that phrase is pretty common, too. It is pretty harmless. Welcome to 2014!

Paul

I think it's a matter of respect of others. Not everyone talks like that, therefore, we should refrain from using that language especially in front of the younger folk who shouldn't be hearing it. Sure it's part of our society, and like everything there is a time and a place to use it, (TS12 stuff up it's assets.tdx file or slamming ones finger with a hammer are exceptions!) and this is one of those places.

Had an old college friend - very well bred - who used to say "Oh tut". We all knew what he meant and he knew that we knew what he meant...

I tend to regard it as ignorance when someone uses that word and if in my company I face them on it. Just accepting anything because we live in "modern times" is just a cover for falling standards and dumbing down. In all the work I have done and considerable community youth work in challenging places I never lowered myself to that kind of smart alex stuff.

A clean Forum is one thing ... But I have noticed a steak of "Meanness" going round on the Forum, where members jump right down someones throat. I can somewhat understand feelings towards "Gimmie Pigs", and "Noobs" ... But there is no reason to be outright mean to them ! I don't know who John2002 is, but it appears he was just banned ... For what ... IDK

I was once a noob ... it took me 4 weeks to figure out how get the CM working, and to download a 3rd party loco, and another week on how to commit it ... and it took me a year to find out that you can lay your own tracks, and create a route. It took me 2 weeks before I figured out how to install HOG Textures, and I was a pest that knew nothing about a PC ... aside how to turn it on.

Looking back on my first posts here on the Forum, I sure was as dumb as a box "O" round river rocks ... Thankfully no one was really mean to me.

Last edited:
You bring up a very valid point Cascade. We all were of that stage at one point. Practice makes better, 'cause we never become perfect.
The thing that really ticks me off around here though is the amount of people who are just straight up rude to each other. Flame Wars are a perfect example of this. Where I'm from if you have a problem with someone you bite your lip and go on, or if you just "feel that need" to "take care of business" you do it in other ways.
Bottom line would be: if you have a problem with somebody, keep it to yourself or end it. Nobody else wants to hear (or in this case read) you and that other person bickerin' back and fourth forever and ever amen. If you feel the need to consult them about it, PM them. PLEASE. I'm tired of seeing all this bull crap everywhere. :'(

Never was a truer word spken davesnow. The general fall in such standards is a groan and those that constantly think they can use such as a "right" are infantile.

I too have noticed a big change in the attitude around here too. It's not the same forums we once had it seems. It seems that people are so quick to lash out the tongue (type), instead of letting things go. Perhaps this has to do with being behind a username because if they did this in face-to-face the results would be different.

Regarding the new user that was banned, he started the same crap all over again in another thread demanding that someone make him some locomotives. Apparently he didn't learn from people having some private chats with him.

John

Kids come on here and say what every they wont regardless of the ruels and the problem I've seen over the years is its just being accepted as normal I rember wen I was younger if you swore you get your mouth washed out with soup, now days Kids ( adult's as well ) have the "You can't tell me what to do attitude a lot" look at the burble abuse I got over a few bad spelling errors and nothing was really done about it at the time so I had to fight back, Now everyone leaves me alown about it or too scared I'll rip there heads off. Anywho I agree with dave & Cascade as the old saying goes: "if you have nothing nice to say don't post anything at all"

I'm just a guy who likes to model but not for anyone ppl don't desrive the stuff I do, I'm also sick and tired of how ppl treat each other on the forums and because of it I with drawed a number of projects like the final VIA car & the next DP update and most likely wont reless them entell ppl grow up, I don't like having to be mean you don't get honey with salt.
Thows are my thots on the topic.
Dragon

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth a lack of mods jumping on anyone who steps a toe out of line like in the old days is what is needed once again.

To me it seems if the COC is to be just taken as guide lines now - not so black and white as it used to be - Once you start pushing the boundries and getting away with it, nothing will stop you from pushing more unless your told to stop - that is just human nature

I agree with your original post. I teach high school, and I hear the F... word several times a day from students. It has become normal conversation. For 13 years, I have run the down-marker chains at our high school football games. We are among the visiting team. I am very disappointed when coaches, trainers, and other employees, "student leaders" constantly yell F... words, and many, many other obscenities.

There is a bit of a silver lining to being jumped on or should I say "trying to avoid being jumped on" for asking a question. I work a lot harder at finding a solution to a problem and exhaust all my known options before I turn to the forum for help. Most of the time I end up solving it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back