A Clean Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
One thing I am grateful for is the way the moderators strive to keep the filthy language off these forums. I am so sick of reading the "F" word on practically every forum I go to. That word is disgusting, uncouth, and shows the lack of I.Q. of the person posting. Plus the fact that obnoxious word means absolutely NOTHING except an insult.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Cheers,

Dave

When in doubt, swear at it, Hit it, and finally push it over... If it still doesnt work buy another one (Kidding of course). XD

Falcus

I agree! This is one of my peeves too with some of the other forums I belong to.

Rick - We are known to make up some words too around here when things aren't going well!

Maybe i was brought up in a different world but for me just about every second word i use now is your bad word Dave, Doesn't mean i'm uncouth disgusting but i could have a low I.Q and i don't really care as i get along ok in the world and keep my head above the wave's. What i do find strange is how folk's just can not mind their own business these day's and every thread or post that bother's them they have to start up their own thread telling every one else how much they are annoyed by sum-one else or by sum one else's language or their use of it in their own country. So much for freedom of speech.
Mick.

Dave, you are on target. The culture determines the "badness". But, I know of no culture that supports bad language. As far as IQ goes my bosses boss had a foul mouth despite several degrees. Thus I do not agree with your assumption that IQ has any relationship to what we see on the Internet.

I would take a shot at a lack of respect for your audience when you use "bad" words. Many people on Internet forums are young and are still rebellious. They are out to prove their independence from the norms of the world. Older people are probably just disrespectful of their audience and in need of some counseling. Then there are the real angry fringe types that rebell against almost everything and end up in an institution or dead.

I join in applauding those who keep the forum clean despite the misfits that attempt to be "overly expressive".

I would also like to express my appreciation for those who spend their free time watching over the forums. The problem with the "culture" of the internet is that people seem to behave without filters since there is an inherent anonymity to the internet.

I would also like to express my appreciation for those who spend their free time watching over the forums. The problem with the "culture" of the internet is that people seem to behave without filters since there is an inherent anonymity to the internet.

Ditto to the above.

The "F" word is pretty much accepted these days in the same way "bl...y" was a few years back.

Not unusual to hear a rich combination of expletives from me if I'm doing DIY and hit my thumb with the hammer, or get cut up by some lunatic in an Audi or BMW out on the road.

SWMBO will normally administer a slap if I use the ultra naughty word beginning with "C", though.

Maybe i was brought up in a different world but for me just about every second word i use now is your bad word Dave, Doesn't mean i'm uncouth disgusting but i could have a low I.Q and i don't really care as i get along ok in the world and keep my head above the wave's. What i do find strange is how folk's just can not mind their own business these day's and every thread or post that bother's them they have to start up their own thread telling every one else how much they are annoyed by sum-one else or by sum one else's language or their use of it in their own country. So much for freedom of speech.
Mick.

Yeh, I guess you're right, Mick. As I get older, I guess I'm not minding my own business like I should. I didn't say I never used the "F" word. I was in the military for 9 years---I've heard them all. I just don't like to see it on forums.

Bad 4 letter wurdz, that should never be used are:

Snow
Cold
Work

Welllll----Excuse me!!

Dave SNOW

Saying that word in a normal conversation is lazy and disrespectful. Personally I hate the word. When a person is completely exasperated by something, I can understand it's use, then I usually just ignore if heard. A hammer hitting a finger is not nice.................

People use that word far too much. I don't really like it at all but I understand it's use as an exasperated exclamation and would certainly never judge someone for using it as such!

However when people are talking about ----ing this and ----ing that, I find it downright rude and lazy!

Nowadays you can hear the F word even on TV or in movies as there it seems to be a "sort of" accepted language. It still baffles me why this is so, I guess TV and movie makers think this is "realistic". Similar to the display of erotic scenes presently in these. I do not know if you still remember the old TV shows and movies, where it was just a kiss and the rest was just implied without showing. Today it has to be with very close up camera shots and very graphic scenes, not leaving any room for any imagination.

For me, my 4 letter F word is FOOD, glorious tasty food that is. As I cook for myself , I can indulge there with whatever tickles my fancy.

Lennard

I agree with the opening post too.

Now if only we could stomp on the fashion of using 'like' every second word. Like, it's not swearing as such, but like it's damned annoying when like someone is all like 'whoa dude' and I'm like 'Oh My God', I'm just like sitting here minding my own whatever.

Last edited:
I agree with the opening post too.

Now if only we could stomp on the fashion of using 'like' every second word. Like, it's not swearing as such, but like it's damned annoying when like someone is all like 'whoa dude' and I'm like 'Oh My God', I'm just like sitting here minding my own whatever.

. . . and "You know" ... I hear a guy on the sports news and it's: "We, you know, we got a new coach, you know, and he says to us, you know, you guys are the greatest. And we're like, you know, so happy to, you know, hear that, and you know, we ain't gonna lag behind, you know, cause, you know, we really, you know, like the guy."

And black people have started to have this redundant, "Y'know wha'm sayin'?" added to their sentences.

It's the same here in Australia with the "you know.." syndrome. I'm like, you know, guilty of it myself sometimes.

I guess we are getting away from profanity now, but something I find equally inane are clichés and business-speak. Sports people here habitually spout meaningless clichés as a matter of professional pride and don't quite know how to finish a sentence. Asked for a comment after a football match, they will string together something like "aw look, y'know its a game of 4 quarters and full credit to the opposition, their talls are prodigious but at the end of the day you have to walk the talk and capitalise on your opportunities, yeah no, so when I saw the big guy go up with his arms stretched out like a giant pair of testicles at the 27 minute mark in the final quarter, I knew we could bring home the bacon and like I said, winners are grinners but its a week to week proposition and yeah, so..."

It is enough to make you use the F word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back