NKP 765's ranking

wpn96

Would 765 be considered in the ranks Superstar or Legend??

Please post your opinions below.........

When I said ranks, I meant like superstar or legend. Not necessarily numbers.

Words like that don't really mean anything. Which is better a Superstar or a Legend? Whereas a number (like 4/10) is pretty straight forward and understandable to almost everyone. If you want us to use words, you need to give us a scale, what is the word for it being the worst? How about the best?

peter

Remember, there are superstars and legends. Superstars get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong.

Last edited:
@everyone,

Oh, okay I'm sorry, I kinda misunderstood what "ranks" meant. If I had to choose between the two terms, I'd probably say superstar, but working up to being a legend. That's my opinion. This topic popped into my head after hearing all of those stories of the 765. I kinda made a mistake about making this thread, because I really shouldn't say everything that's on my mind, as I am officially 18 today.

Sorry guys, I kinda forgot my forum manners.

It's okay, I don't blame you. My father teaches students with autism, and as I've met a few I know you guys aren't intentionally trying to stir up hate or anything, so its all good.

The NKP Berkshire was the "deal breaker", that made me go out and buy TS12 (from JointedRail for $15, and got a free $20 loco thrown in)

Last edited:
It's okay, I don't blame you. My father teaches students with autism, and as I've met a few

I'm glad you met a few. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't like the 'stereotype' Autistic.

I know you guys aren't intentionally trying to stir up hate or anything, so its all good.

And what do you mean by this? Hopefully it doesn't have to do with Autism.

As for 765:
11/10 for Southern 4501
9.75/10 for Southern Pacific for 4449
9.5/10 for Union Pacific 3985
9.25/10 for Union Pacific 844
9/10 for Norfolk & Western 611
8.75/10 for Norfolk & Western 1218
8.5/10 for Southern 630
8.25/10 for Pere Marquette 1225
8/10 for Nickel Plate 765

If it wasn't for them being i.e. movie stars, age, uniqueness, etc., 765 might have been higher on the list.

I'm glad you met a few. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't like the 'stereotype' Autistic.

As for 765:
11/10 for Southern 4501
8.5/10 for Southern 630

If it wasn't for them being i.e. movie stars, age, uniqueness, etc., 765 might have been higher on the list.

If you want to go that way....
Consider where you live
What is displayed near you
Performance stats

Consider me: the PM N's were only slightly larger than the NKP berks, mainly in the cylinder bore. They were also the biggest to ever operate in MI (4449 notwithstanding), and perhaps better maintained and cared for.
The biggest of the big, the LAST OF THE GIANTS, will always hold a firm place in anyone's heart, if only because of the iconic look, memorable name, and excellent corporate PR.
Colorful paintjobs will certainly grab press headlines.
But then again, the dinky little Czech 0-4-0T that I got to wipe down once after a full day's work at a museum near me will absolutely rank higher than most anything.

As for 765:
11/10 for Southern 4501
8.5/10 for Southern 630

I'm sorry if that came off as being a bit rude. I was trying to express something but couldn't exactly find the correct words. I was trying to say that sometimes people with Autism make decisions that most people wouldn't (again not trying to be mean, it's not your fault at all) but I understand and respect that you don't really mean to make threads that don't exactly "work" like this one but it still happens sometimes. Again sorry if this seems rude. It's not intended to be! :)

As I am, once I see a steam engine, I become obsessed with it. Because I saw 765 in July, I just fell in love with her.

I kinda always felt like 765, and all her sister Berks really, were a little short.... I mean, I wouldn't call them Gimpy, but perhaps the Seabiscuit's of the Large Steam world.... I always liked the longer lines of the Northerns, the GN S-2s and the NP/SP&S locos in particular. But I have a thing for alot of the more Western lines, notably North Western. Berks just had zero presence out here. It was mostly Mountains, Northerns, or Logging Locos which were ALL Short and Dumpy (The tiny wheels on all reciprocating Logging locos will always stick out in my mind), lol.

@ Jordan & Wpn96,
Autspie's in general have a stereotype for misunderstandings and the resultant "social incorrectness". Don't sweat it, just expect it from alot of people that know a little about ASD (The ones that know more usually have strategies in place for being more direct). Often its not an incorrect assumption regardless unless you yourself do alot to work against it. It takes alot of work to translate everything from NT and then back again real time, lol. If you script mentally, then you can overcome it naturally with time and practice.

Falcus

Back