Screenshot of The Week: September 7 to September 14 2014 (Vintage)

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Greetings.

We're going old school. This week's theme is brought to you by Kieran (captainkman); Vintage. Please send your theme suggestions for subsequent competitions via email or Skype by clicking on the little icons below my username.

One screenshot allowed per entrant. Screenshots must adhere to the theme and the Trainz Forum Code of Conduct.

Submission closes on September 14 at 12:00 noon UTC/GMT/Zulu time.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

If I may clarify 'Vintage' before someone makes a fuss over it, my intention was for the shots to represent the 19th century, i.e. 1890's or previous.

If only Trainz would start so I could participate; what great timing that was. :p

Kieran.

Last edited:
another one from my Trainz Screen Shot Archive, made in TRS2006 :)

6137336566373533.jpg

Nice Greetings

Epo:)

Here is mine from my new NSRM route
9591c6c1218bd150d5cea3127a9ef16f.jpg

Inyo comes in from an Independence Day Outing at NSRM's northern end of track, pulling comboose 9 (disguised as 10) and coach 4. At the edge of the shot at left, the dual gauge track is visible.
Saturnr

Last edited:
Why is the Genoa hauling freight in you amazing picture epoche3bis4? The Genoa was mainly and express and passenger loco and backup to the Reno, is this the late era of steam (still with bonnet stack though so -1900)?
Saturnr

First shot is of Humbolt, second of Genoa, and third of Inyo, let's get one of some more V&T here...
trainboi1_20140909_0002_by_trainboi-d7ymdy6.jpg

Virginia and Truckee Nos. 19 and 20 haul 320 tons of empty four-wheeled ore-hauling stock ca. 1880. Their respective crews are still very proud of their style 1 engines, and despite the effect of 5 years of cheap painting jobs, have managed to keep almost all of the original Baldwin lining on the sisters thus far.
@Saturnr - You're probably correct; she wouldn't have pulled a freight looking like that in any case - the lining would probably have been wrong for any time after 1885. Though I'm not gonna fault Epo for that since he did so well on every other aspect, and knowing the V&T just about anything's possible.

Last edited:
Good point Trainboi1, it is a great shot Epoche3bis4. Just like in mine the Inyo has stripping (1870s) the Inyo is circa early 1890s today with a maroon-er cab and tender, compressor and no striping. All great shots of a great railroad that I dearly love.

Saturnr

@Rickf:
Yes, there were telegraph lines that looked like that back then, but no, there should be no telegraph lines in the shot, but I couldn't be bothered to make my own route so I actually used a 1930s/40s(or somewhere around there) route. It's only thanks to clever placement that you can't see a massive industrial estate or a huge steel drawbridge.
As for your route, you could get away with using a smaller telegraph line, they did often but not always follow the railroad for three good reasons:
1.) It was easier to maintain along a line that HAD to be well-kept.
2.) The depots all had telegraph booths - it was important so that if a train got into trouble, the depot staff could alert each other all down the line.
3.) Some engine crews were given telegraph tappers, so that in the event of an accident on an isolated part of the line, they could attach a temporary device and tell the stations in either direction what had happened and where they were. It was a very effective safety feature in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Fortunately or not there was not enough need on the V&T for this to be put into use along that line(and the road was laid through an easier place to build) but many a line did have it.
And yeah, have fun trying to explain that mistake away...hence why I always wait in or near the kitchen when cooking. Heckuva lot easier to tell when something's ready.

@Saturn
I'm not actually sure that Ben's model is accurate to any era; in the 1870s she would have had (to the best of my knowledge) Wine paint with full Style 1 lining, a varnished walnut cab, polished iron rods and pilot braces, even a brass nameplate with red backing on the cab! But by 1877 or 1878 or somewhere abouts(I wanna say) she'd got her nameplate replaced with paint, had lost some of the lining, got a toolbox on the back of the tender(she wasn't delivered with one) and her iconic huge smoke riser(she wasn't delivered with that either), as well as airbrakes and some other stuff. By 1885 most of the engines had lost their tender lining(Inyo included) so although I'm not sure, she would've been painted brown sometime between 1885 and 1890. Along with that would've come an ash cab(walnut cabs were never painted) and a couple other things. She lost all her lining when she was painted brown, so that particular model of Inyo is not accurate anywhere.
Good job with the dual gauge as well, that's exactly what I had in mind. :)

And before any of y'all ask I just heard all this from the V&T Historical Society conference last year, as well as from my good friend Andrew, who knows more about this stuff than anyone I've ever heard. So yeah, it's impossible for almost any V&T train to be accurate.:hehe: Until Curtis finishes his mogul updates, that is, and knowing how busy he is, it won't be for a while yet.

Last edited:
Ignore my earlier post, I got Trainz running again!

Now to spice things up with something that isn't a screenshot of an 'Old West' locomotive.

This is a screenshot of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway's locomotive 'Lion'. The real thing is the oldest steam locomotive in the world that is capable of being run. And the shot is sepia toned to highlight the locomotive's age. And make it look like an old-timey photograph.

Kieran.

Nice, Kieran! I would consider doing something like that but I'm literally a Western guy, and I just had these moguls begging for it...I did not sepia the screenshot because A) I couldn't be bothered and B) This is how the folks would've seen it, why dilute it with the poor photographic technology of 1880? XD

@Generalman: You haven't exactly done poorly yourself, mate. Gotta love those early '60s trains...

Hey Kieran, old buddy, I think your underwear is showing! Look under the bridge, looks like "grid marks". You could give it a little "click" and replace the shot. It would be a shame if you lost votes for that. My eyes aren't the best anymore, so I might be seeing things!

Cheers, good luck .... Rick
Hi Rick,

I'm afraid you might be right! The route is one I downloaded from the DLS and it's very lovely and I'd rather not modify it, and I'd hate to change my shot this far after I entered this one....but thanks for bringing the mistake to everyone's attention! :D

There's not too much competition this week so I don't think a few default baseboard lines will affect too much...:hehe:

Hi Jjanmarine,

Here's the original, full colour shot as requested. I'm not entering this one of course but it's here for you to see:

Kieran.

Back