I'm Reconsidering.....

SuperSpeedMaglev

Wonderfully Old Fashioned
I will have like a massive headache getting what I want back but I am seriously considering rejoining, also... HI. :D

How long was I gone before I posted this?(Soz Lol I'm curious)

Anyway, I feel, I can't just go.

So, no promises, but I may return....

NOTE:College start tomorrow, things won't be easy if I start. ._.

Welcome back! I think you were gone for about 3-4 months if that. Most people don't leave here...

College isn't that difficult. In fact it's very much like high school with a different schedule and a bit more homework. :) Keeping that in mind, you need to set priorities with college classes being higher priority.

John

With the greatest of respect and following Johns posting, education needs the fullest of attention and commitment as it decides the future of your entire life. Therefore if you give it the necessary attention and commitment (as you should) you may find their is little time for Trainz or anything else, and that is the way it should be.

Again with the greatest of respect.
Bill

Last edited:
To be honest, nobody really cares if you rejoin or not.. If you do, welcome back, if you don't, we'll manage. If you didn't keep posting these 'im leaving' and 'im going' threads I really would have no idea you were even around...

I'm an engineering major and still find time to build trainz. It's very doable.

Nifty, I'm starting Graphical Engineering later this month. And yes, I've looked through the courses I'm taking and fully expect to be able to keep most of my life in tact around it. Thats one of the things I like about that field, its very concrete without alot of deviation. Things work or they don't, and teaching what works is easy.

And I agree with what others have said. Welcome back if you come back. If not, w/e.

Falcus

with all respect, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to have a go at you, but you are looking at trainz with the wrong mind set, trainz should not be a burden on you.
it should not ever tax you out, you should treat it like a relaxing hobby when you get over wound-up with other things, don't do a project that is too time consuming, instead find things you are interested in and just tinker around with them, for instance one day I may make a one board tin mine, and just bide my time getting it to look real. another day I may just drive around on my favouet route.

with all respect, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to have a go at you, but you are looking at trainz with the wrong mind set, trainz should not be a burden on you....
Well said. if it ain't fun, you are doing it wrong. Meanwhile, doesn't matter if others find school easy, you're the one that's doing the work. Your aptitude, skill and work will decide it for you. Good luck and drop by once in a while, if only to say hello.

Nifty, I'm starting Graphical Engineering later this month. And yes, I've looked through the courses I'm taking and fully expect to be able to keep most of my life in tact around it. Thats one of the things I like about that field, its very concrete without alot of deviation. Things work or they don't, and teaching what works is easy.

And I agree with what others have said. Welcome back if you come back. If not, w/e.

Falcus

Teaching concrete things is easy, it's doing so in a manner that shows you want your students to learn the material that isn't.

Teaching concrete things is easy, it's doing so in a manner that shows you want your students to learn the material that isn't.

Well said! :D

I've had electronics and math teachers explain things so poorly I swear the words flew by in in a vortex. We moved along so quickly as our eyes glazed over from the babble, that no one dared to ask a question as they were afraid that would cause another flurry and furious wind pass us by!

Then after struggling with Pre-calculus and Analog Electronics I, II, and III, I got a job as a technician. I aced the work-required test by a gazillion points, and I never used even a milligram of the math, except maybe once to figure out a voltage drop across a voltage regulator circuit the kept frying. The theories, which seemed so daunting as presented by my analog electronics professors, fell into place when I worked on video circuits and power supplies. The digital electronics, were easy. I loved the classes and loved chasing bad RAM, video data circuits, and playing with CPUs.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm getting old and reminisce about the past.

For Super-Maglev. You might think that the college classes are useless and you won't ever use the information. For some classes maybe, but others the stuff bubbles up many years later when you least expect it.

John

Yup, totally agree. Believe me, I have my rant about societies "Accepted Bureaucratic Curriculum" and all its flaws.... Egotistical Personalities floating around with in said system being a part of that. I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder which I had to find on my own to explain why I had as much trouble with the "standard Curriculum" taught at most Schools and colleges, so I have my beef with "Standardized Education" believe me.

That said, I wouldn't be returning to college if I didn't think it was different enough for me to actually be able to keep my interest. I've looked at the "usual route" to engineering and decided I'd never be able to accomplish a 2 year transfer degree, or barely any "Academic Core Classes" (As the advisors LOVE to call them) in the standard fashion. Instead I found a Technical Institute Offering an AS of Graphical Engineering with Hands On education. Yup, Fast Forward through Calc II & III and Statistics IV and Chem 206 and go Straight to Catia and Revit and Solid Works and Learn as ya go (Collect $200). Then they offer a 4 Yr BS afterwards in Design Lead. Its unorthodox, but I've spent alot of time researching them and it genuinely seems up my alley, so here I am 20 days away from starting it..... Already met the Department Head & Staff and sat in on some of the summer classes, and can't help being anything but jazzed about it. So we'll see where this goes.

@JCitron
You ever make Electronic Engineer?

Falcus

Yup, totally agree. Believe me, I have my rant about societies "Accepted Bureaucratic Curriculum" and all its flaws.... Egotistical Personalities floating around with in said system being a part of that. I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder which I had to find on my own to explain why I had as much trouble with the "standard Curriculum" taught at most Schools and colleges, so I have my beef with "Standardized Education" believe me.

That said, I wouldn't be returning to college if I didn't think it was different enough for me to actually be able to keep my interest. I've looked at the "usual route" to engineering and decided I'd never be able to accomplish a 2 year transfer degree, or barely any "Academic Core Classes" (As the advisors LOVE to call them) in the standard fashion. Instead I found a Technical Institute Offering an AS of Graphical Engineering with Hands On education. Yup, Fast Forward through Calc II & III and Statistics IV and Chem 206 and go Straight to Catia and Revit and Solid Works and Learn as ya go (Collect $200). Then they offer a 4 Yr BS afterwards in Design Lead. Its unorthodox, but I've spent alot of time researching them and it genuinely seems up my alley, so here I am 20 days away from starting it..... Already met the Department Head & Staff and sat in on some of the summer classes, and can't help being anything but jazzed about it. So we'll see where this goes.

@JCitron
You ever make Electronic Engineer?

Falcus

Nope. I became a hardware technician and engineering technician instead. It was more interesting and more fun troubleshooting than it was designing. Eventually, I ended up in MIS then much later IT where I retired from.

John

@Falcus

As a bonus, any solid modeling program you learn (like Solidworks as you mention, my personal favorite) will give you most of the HOW of Trainz asset creation, but the WHY would need to be picked up separately. Of course textures won't be covered. My distinction between how and why comes from the vastly different uses of a solid model and a video game model. That can be taught, but you won't get the game side in an engineering setting. In my opinion, it would be best to build two models completely from scratch, say you were 3D printing one and putting the other in Trainz. Far easier than converting one to the other unless you really know what you're doing.

@Falcus

As a bonus, any solid modeling program you learn (like Solidworks as you mention, my personal favorite) will give you most of the HOW of Trainz asset creation, but the WHY would need to be picked up separately. Of course textures won't be covered. My distinction between how and why comes from the vastly different uses of a solid model and a video game model. That can be taught, but you won't get the game side in an engineering setting. In my opinion, it would be best to build two models completely from scratch, say you were 3D printing one and putting the other in Trainz. Far easier than converting one to the other unless you really know what you're doing.

Believe me I've thought about that. And I think I already have a good handle on things as to "Efficient use of Polygons and the applications there of in Practical Design vs Media Design", lol. I have access to a copy of 3DS Max, and have spent a handful of hours trying to understand it, and though I never built much beyond a couple basic Tutorials that experience allowed me the pleasure of trying to help one of my future professors (Hes one of the older gentleman there mostly to teach Scaling, Dimensions, Labeling, and the Old Draft Table way of doing things, so the students will still know at least the principles behind all of that before diving into the programs), find a way to superimpose 3D Text onto an item he was working on one afternoon whilst prowling the Campus.

But yea, believe me, I've already explored that line of thought and am very excited at the prospect of *one day* (Hopefully in the not too distant future), using what I've learned to build models for Trainz. And honestly, I probably will never do alot of Texturing (I've always been bad with picking colors, amongst other reasons), but rather would envision just building "Ready to Paint" Models for people to color themselves. Still, as my wife would say, Im getting ahead of myself. I'm years away from that (Probably).

Falcus

Falcus

Sorry for a second post with the same quote later...

I actually attended college at night as well as during the day, both part-time and full-time, and also some online. It was the only way I could afford the classes since the companies I worked for didn't want to spend money on employees, and I never had enough money for it myself. Eventually I went online and took student loans, but all prior to that it was out of pocket 100%. In 2009 I went back to school for my dream. I was a music major, which is what I always wanted to do. I was 48 years old and enjoying every minute of it more so than anything I ever did in my life. I found the classes easy, perhaps due to maturity, and the fact that the working world really is so much harder. Writing the research papers was a snatch for me. Heck, the online classes prepared me for that because we'd have to write a paper every week in most classes. They were complete with cited sources in the APA format, etc. When it came to my psychology class in 2009, I had to write a 6 page paper. The paper took me about 2 hours to put together, completely formatted. I got an A+ on it, even turned in late which the teacher normally wouldn't accept. I had the pneumonia and couldn't get to class, but finished off the paper. In fact I was the only one who formatted everything properly and the professor didn't have to return papers for incomplete on. In another class, I was made an unofficial TA, which I really loved. I got to teach some lite music history to a creative arts class. Every week, again I had to write papers and do a presentation which again was nothing for me while everyone else struggled. Perhaps this too was due to me being faced with multiple projects when I was working, so these single one off projects once a week were nothing. Oh I wish though I could have done this at 20 instead of 48. It would have been a lot more fun and I probably would have ended up in academics instead of industry.

Anyway, I only got a year in, again due to finances, but it was the best. I maintained a 3.89 GPA without even trying too hard. The professors told me sadly they wished I could continue, and I should reconsider should I afford it. They even said I should go back for education, but alas I never did, and now due to health reasons I am retired. But I did enjoy my time while I was there, and don't consider it money wasted.

John

More like six weeks....July 25. I suppose those who herald their own return like to think their absence was noticed....

You know, if you combine flour and buttermilk with a little soda and bake it in a hot oven for about an hour you get the nicest bread, great with a thick layer of real butter.

Maybe if you could be persuaded to bake yourself in a hot oven for an hour or so you too might become more wholesome. You might even change your User Name to SweetCake or the like. Then you could sprinkle Angel Dust over the forum instead...

Wouldn't that be a nice thing to do for a change?

Back