lego207's Work/Silver Lines

Funky fresh stuff.

31711669690_90ac9ea413_o.png

31769510406_e69c7cdf90_o.png

30925806383_24c72532ae_o.png

Does the little 'route' thing featured above appeal to anybody? Gauging interest in some stuff.

Got plans for a few new things, most of which are Milwaukee Road related, and some are more related to building some fresh stuff. Really fresh. I don't know how to convey it to you but it's gonna be interesting to say the least. Last thing real quick if you do actually have interest in what I'm doing just look at my Flickr (sellout!) just because I upload there a whole lot more than I do here. Partially because of usernames and other forum-goodness. That's all I got, not much as usual.

Cheers,
SM

Tonight, we celebrate the two year anniversary of arguably the most ridiculous, long, and maybe best projects I ever embarked on, at least in Trainz. We may be exactly 1 week late but that doesn't stop this... the Silver Lines Electrified route was brought into fruition two years and one week ago as just another experiment to play around with. At the time I had no idea what I'd just started. Who knows if it'll even be finished... all I know is it's my favourite project I've done thus far. In the future after the Silver Lines V2 route (did I mention that on this forum yet?) is done I want to work on the electric one again, so maybe it'll be properly revived. Depends.

Celebrating two years of the electric route.

23020736445_eb034a3d02_o.png

22602399798_1de17890d9_o.png

26037868555_8f7253f4e8_o.png

The old reskins of tume's Little Joe & Boxcab.

17204781066_426b51d503_o.png

The very first pic of the route with scenery on it, Feb. 21 2015. It doesn't feel that long ago...

15985767623_031fff20e1_o.png

Current project is a remake of the original Silver Lines route, as I have decided the original route is just too terrible to save. So, basing it off of the original, we have the Silver Lines V2. It follows most of the original design, however is a very different and unique version that shares little scenery wise with its predecessor. The only things that connect them are the long stretches of single track flanked with plains and forest.
For those interested, after maybe a year or so of having not done one, an SL Speedbuild video is done, showcasing the route a bit. It does not feature some of the texturing and scenery placement, but it shows enough to get the idea.

Hey, if anybody is still interested in the old electric route, let me know. Might help me actually decide to work on it someday.

Cheers,
SM

Hey, if anybody is still interested in the old electric route, let me know. Might help me actually decide to work on it someday.

Cheers,
SM

Well I for one am very interested. There are damn few US electric routes in trainz and another one would be more than welcome.

If you are looking for electric locomotives that you can repaint and share you might approach pweiser. His NH EF-4 and some of his boxcabs would fit your general motif and would look pretty good in Silver Lines colors IMO.

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary few make it so long.

Norm

Well I for one am very interested. There are damn few US electric routes in trainz and another one would be more than welcome.

If you are looking for electric locomotives that you can repaint and share you might approach pweiser. His NH EF-4 and some of his boxcabs would fit your general motif and would look pretty good in Silver Lines colors IMO.

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary few make it so long.

Norm
Thanks, norm! I'd definitely like to see this released, though releasing motive power would be a bit more difficult. I've considered some Northeast electric power, the E33 (NH EF4) included, so it's a possibility. I have got E44s and E60s rostered but never put into the route simply because of the lack of a good, reskinnable, model.

I think at the end of the day, the old electric route has a lot of work left to do, lots of potential, and a whole lotta time that needs to be invested into it. We'll give it a shot... later!

For now, here's a few shots of the WIP Silver Lines V2.

cXfCjUm.png

dCt1rGq.png

NimiBDt.png

4WnuJwq.png

I think I'll need to drag out some old pics of the original version of this route... you'd be hard pressed to find still viewable images at this point. It'd make an interesting comparison, that's for sure.

Throw some feedback and suggestions for this route at me, I could use them!

Cheers,
SM

Always

lego207

[h=2][/h]
Tonight, we celebrate the two year anniversary of arguably the most ridiculous, long, and maybe best projects I ever embarked on, at least in Trainz. We may be exactly 1 week late but that doesn't stop this... the Silver Lines Electrified route was brought into fruition two years and one week ago as just another experiment to play around with. At the time I had no idea what I'd just started. Who knows if it'll even be finished... all I know is it's my favourite project I've done thus far. In the future after the Silver Lines V2 route (did I mention that on this forum yet?) is done I want to work on the electric one again, so maybe it'll be properly revived. Depends.

Celebrating two years of the electric route

Cheers,
SM

Was vary sorry I hadn't DL it when I had the chance

Matt

Well, it had been sitting 10 pages back for quite some time!

Fun things here and there.

Rebuilding the locomotive facilities and yard related stuff at the other end of the electric route, so I ended up scrapping two of the old loco sheds and pretty much all the detailwork around them. I also ended up redoing the trackwork for the shed up front here, as before it was way, way, way too tight - especially to run something like an EF4 over! Could make these switches larger, but they'll do just fine for now. Some of this might get electrified.

Vy6Cbct.png

From above the new shed we can see what's left of the detailwork I left on the old shed, some of which is getting replaced or removed entirely. Two or three of the tracks for this new shed are being electrified, at least up to the doors. I believe we'll also see some of the tracks behind the old shed extend backwards enough to store extra equipment, and near there we'll see a few more buildings such as small warehouses or admin buildings and other various details.

ruHyLjL.png

The entrance to this double yard thing going on around here is up next on the plate to be replaced completely. Currently, we have tracks splitting off of the main into the railyard adjacent to the loco sheds, and a track from that split-off that connects to said sheds. There is a separate split from the main that goes into another yard on the other side of the first one, which is going to be meant for most of the coal related stuff going on here - after all, it's a major coal route basically. Both yard leads are getting full rebuilds, not to mention the second yard is just being redone from scratch because it's a mess.

Train.
SLBB8xQ.png

I have a set of weathered F7 passenger units on the to-do list as well, plus a MILW SD7 and some various skins for it (clean, weathered, etc etc). Still gotta remove some handrails from this F unit though. And I slightly forgot to do the B unit. Anyways, quite happy with this weathering set, probably the best I've done so far. I believe we'll see at least one version of this thing with the text on the side - large black full lettering stuff - and I'll probably end up with a cleaner and less dulled paint than this as well. Woo! So much stuff. (Not really)

Additionally, say goodbye to the old HYC banner theme - finally retiring that and getting something fresh.

Cheers,
SM

Thanks guys!

As for 'secrets'... playing the game a lot, looking at other routes (Emily Bay Branch @ TEH is my favourite route to pick details up on). Don't force yourself to build, just work when ya feel like it... listen to some tunes. Simple stuff, but off and on spurts of activity in this game got me from all flat ground with 1 texture to what you've seen me posting.

I did go ahead and rebuild Yard 2.1's ladder, and also decided to fix up Yard 2.2 a bit... by removing it entirely (it'll be back later)
hpemIl8.png

Cleaner in general.

sI2H4Nm.png

Bonus, I worked on the dual-bridge-hell for a hot minute.

HaFibwo.png

Bonus 2: Electric Boogaloo

sLXvVHC.png

Early 90s, EF4 motor had a few "technical difficulties" mid-run, so SD45 3638 is put on the head to help. E75 is working as brakes at this point.

Cheers,
SM

36294609534_6f3e6e5435_o.png

E29's rebuild is completed, and ex-MILW #3400 hooks up to the newly rebuilt electric to haul it outside and put it under the catenary. Meanwhile, ex-MILW E19 + B-unit arrives and is prepared for disassembly to begin the rebuilding process.

Cheers,
SM

lego207; Heavy-weathered/rusted SD40-2 (ft. SLRZ 45ft TOFC) [IMG said:
http://i.imgur.com/IM7dsNf.png[/IMG]

are people still interested in this, or no?
Cheers,
SM

oh yeah.... I surely am ....
much respect for your excellent work and splendid website ....
I will donate some to support you..
keep on the fine stuff and inspiration ...

grtz
dave

oh yeah.... I surely am ....
much respect for your excellent work and splendid website ....
I will donate some to support you..
keep on the fine stuff and inspiration ...

grtz
dave

Thank you so much Dave! That really means a lot, much appreciated, thank you!

Hey, while I'm here, here's a few fun things I've been tinkering with as of late, mostly MILW F-units but I've got more stuff planned.

This is the sort of 'pure' F7 in the typical freight paint, pretty much totally unweathered. Pretty rare to see 'em like this! If I remember to, I might do a set of some of these with the all-black large MILW text that I've seen on a few units. I believe I have also set the ARN to be somewhat accurate on these all, as well - barring the letter extensions, might be able to work out a fix for them (removing the L, for example) but we'll see. (Yes I see the orange ladders/handrails on the B-unit, I'll fix 'em!)
2f8cZ2R.png

Next up we have the light weathered variant. Paint is a bit more faded (and closer to what the majority of units would really end up looking like after a while) and some classic dirt. Nose needs to be dirtied up a little, I think.

7XvKa1p.png

Also we see the heavier weathered F7. I don't have the B-unit done currently, but I do fully plan on setting it up, it shouldn't take too long hopefully. This sees a very very minor difference in the colour fading, more dirt and grime, as well as a bit of rust here and there.
Bqphu8O.png

Last item with a photo, we've got a unique MILW unit. I came across a photo of it a few weeks ago and started up a quick skin since it isn't a difficult one by any means to recreate. I'm not entirely sure what this paint was for - MOW? Some kind of leaser or ex-other railroad? Not sure - but I do know it did exist on at least one unit without any numbers, so here it is. Keep in mind it is missing some extra mesh attachments the real thing seemed to have, notably some stuff up on the roof. If I can find something to use as a standin for them I will, but I wouldn't make any bets on it! I also want to play with the grille texture some more, maybe darken it some.
t8ds3n6.png

Real photo for comparison. You'll see what I mean about roof stuff. Colour is a bit difficult due to lighting and shadow, but I think this is reasonably close all things considered. Photo is apparently from '86 if that tells you anything.
1986%20red%20milw%20f-unit%20at%20shoreham%20mn.jpg

All the F-units do need some handrails stripped from them, hoping to get that done this week if I have the time/energy/help.
I'm also planning on putting the SD9/SD7s into MILW if I can solve a problem with this hood-thing and its mapping with the bake layer - a problem shown on the SLRR ones I did a looong while back I didn't notice at the time.

Been a bit busy with other stuff in real life to do a whole lot else in Trainz, but I'm still here for sure! If I can work it out, I want to hopefully release a few things here around Halloween since it really has been a while since I've released anything. Current hope is this batch of MILW stuff for October and hopefully another good haul of whatever else I finish up around Christmas/NY (and maybe an item or two for November?), but we'll have to see how that goes.

One of the last notable things to say is I plan on updating some parts of the site - and have been updating a few things here and there already, unpublished - and getting that pushed out in the near-ish future. Expect a lot of the graphics/banners to have a much fresher and cleaner look to them, especially! For now, check the threads (this one + TEH one) and the blog section of my site for some other updates... the latter of which I've got a post to publish very soon!

Cheers,
SM

Last edited:
Just a little more weather on the nose of the F7:

b3e4a9f019f20a645b514ffbede0e5ff--milwaukee-rust.jpg

Okay, above is too excessive perhaps...

here's something, maybe:

MILWScan19.jpg

Back