First Class Ticket Holders

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Hi all,

Just a quick question: what with all the recent server failures, I wondered if those of us who have paid for a FCT will get any compensation, either an additional couple of days FCT access or something? I ask simply because after having bought a ticket about a month ago, and missing out on being able to use it, I think it's unfair of N3V to charge us and then take awa that privilege, even if the situation is supposedly out of their hands. I have read that the server failure has something to do with the amount of mobile users recently; my point is this: N3V should have foreseen such events and have had the capacity in place to deal with it if and when it happened, so as not to interrupt the experience for everyone else. Does that make sense? I think it's down to poor preparation for an event that has the capacity (and indeed has) to bring down several servers and users with it.
Many thanks,

PortLineParker

I imagine the answer will be the same as when this has been asked many times in the past.....no. Perhaps it was poor preparation on your part for surely you could have anticipated the server problems and downloaded what you needed before it happened...prior planning is the secret...prior planning...:cool:

I wish that was a joke, but that's pretty much as back-(bleep)wards logic as humanly possible, and not unexpected considering the source.

I guess, by that logic, those folks who couldn't use their DLC should just have re-authorized sooner or should have just planned not to be able to use it.

Figures.

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly, N3V is hosted on third party servers so they too were SOL during the outages. Does any hosting service compensate for unexpected downtime?

Theoretically, who gets compensated? I have a FCT but wasn't using it recently. Do I also get something for the potential loss if I had tried or do I need to prove I was attempting a download and failed?

Well, I suppose the ball would fly over peoples heads on it's journey out of the ballpark....that one is pretty iffy...try another one...:cool:

If I understand it correctly, N3V is hosted on third party servers so they too were SOL during the outages. Does any hosting service compensate for unexpected downtime?

Theoretically, who gets compensated? I have a FCT but wasn't using it recently. Do I also get something for the potential loss if I had tried or do I need to prove I was attempting a download and failed?

N3V could get some credit for an outage. Different ISPs have different service level agreements and different ways of if and how an outage might qualify for compensation. But, in this case, I doubt it, since it doesn't appear to be Softlayer's fault, this time.

As for you, the end-user, well, I suppose you could ask - I think N3V has extended FCTs in the past, and have extended TS2009 and TS2010 support (at least, DLS downloads) for a week.

It depends on the QOS and TOS agreements they signed with their hosting provider. I signed one with AT&T back in 2000 when the old company I worked for setup their ISP and network services. With AT&T business class network, they guaranteed a 99% uptime, and if there was an incident which didn't get resolved in 4 hours, we'd receive a prorated refund. We got one once due to some issues at the Verizon CO where our T1s terminated. The amount wasn't too shabby, but then again what we paid per month was absolutely outrageous too back then.

John

Blimey, didn't expect those responses. I'm not trying to get a load of free access, but I think that after I have paid for a service that is no longer usable, some sort of compensation shouldn't be too much to ask. I don't expect anything, but I thought I'd put the question out there and see what the response was. And RRSignal, I don't appreciate your comment 'not unexpected when considering the source.' Anyway, moving on...
Many thanks,

PortLineParker

The iPhone free trial period has ended so we expect things to get back to normal shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience caused, but 750,000 new registrations in less than a week did take us a little by surprise (we were expecting only 100-200,000 users which I think would have gone unnoticed. We will review the situation tomorrow and see what we can do to help ease the pain.

Blimey, didn't expect those responses. I'm not trying to get a load of free access, but I think that after I have paid for a service that is no longer usable, some sort of compensation shouldn't be too much to ask. I don't expect anything, but I thought I'd put the question out there and see what the response was. And RRSignal, I don't appreciate your comment 'not unexpected when considering the source.' Anyway, moving on...
Many thanks,

PortLineParker

Sorry. It was not directed at you in any way.

... And RRSignal, I don't appreciate your comment 'not unexpected when considering the source.' Anyway, moving on...
Many thanks,

PortLineParker
Not to worry, PLP....the "source" he was referring to was me....his comments weren't directed at you, but mine was. I was being facetious in my example because there wasn't really any way they could have predicted the response they would get any more than you could anticipate the server going down....that was the point that zipped over another "sources'" head.....he actually thought I was serious....:eek: The FCT gives you faster download speeds....that's what you're paying for. It doesn't guarantee you 24/7 access since servers do go down. Even those who don't buy a FCT can't download.....

Back