So how much space does Trainz stuff take on your hard drive?

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
The answer is... ALOT!

Here's a breakdown of my User Data folder using a program called Disk Triage (not freeware!). Local is 83.14% of the User Data with the rest then being split between Original, cache, packages, etc.

John

over half a terabyte of stuff, huh? Too much for me, it starts to have problems when I had around that much and above... reduced mine to below 200 GB now.

over half a terabyte of stuff, huh? Too much for me, it starts to have problems when I had around that much and above... reduced mine to below 200 GB now.

This is far less than it was about a year ago as I've trimmed out stuff I haven't used for ages and isn't a dependency on a route somewhere. That's a problem though. You clean stuff up only to have to download, and sometimes repair, the content again that was removed before. I'll be doing some house cleaning again very soon when I get some time.

John

Once upon a time, I had it up to 743 GB of almost anything and everything. Obsessed with downloads, I guess. Glad that is over.

Once upon a time, I had it up to 743 GB of almost anything and everything. Obsessed with downloads, I guess. Glad that is over.
Haha that was me at one point too! But I still use about 400gb for trainz. I want to try to reduce it some more but I am not really sure what to delete, what are some assets that have really large files?

Umm, I have a 500GB hard drive on my computer, and a good number for me is 30GB of space left. I am moving my stuff over from 2010 to 12, and that is 26 5GB transfers, because of space issues.

Haha that was me at one point too! But I still use about 400gb for trainz. I want to try to reduce it some more but I am not really sure what to delete, what are some assets that have really large files?

For me, I tried to commit keeping only stuff local or pertains to my favorites. Downloading and keeping for "just because" reasons does not work. I guess that would be an electronic hoarding? LOL

In my last install, it took up 80 gigs (!)

Not sure about now, though, after my computer failure/crash, where i couldn't recover anything from Trainz. Thankfully i recovered everything else, though! I'm now on a new machine...

SSD Space

Trainz is hungry! It eats up space on my SSD and there's nothing I can do about it.

I have around 850gb free on my HDD but only 14.7 on my SSD. Help me! Before Trainz gets hungrier!

Is there a fast way to determine if an object is not being used by any other object or has not been used in a route or session? There are probably many things in my trainz collection that could be removed without any consequences but how to be sure?

Is there a fast way to determine if an object is not being used by any other object or has not been used in a route or session? There are probably many things in my trainz collection that could be removed without any consequences but how to be sure?

Unused assets can be found using CM (takes more than one step) but as soon as you delete them the next freeware route you download will call for them and you'll spend hours looking for missing assets. (anecdotal but somewhat true)

stagecoach tell how to delete unused assets in this post:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ctually-loaded-in-game)&p=1782687#post1782687

I had 1TB of T:ANE and 1TB of TRS2019, on an external 4TB USB (blue connector) drive, but it seemed slow, so I reinstalled 2019 from scratch on the local C: drive and I am trying to keep it mean and lean...

Martinvk, you can right-click individual assets and check dependents. If it has no dependents then it is not in a route or part of a larger assembly, at any rate

The backup folder in the userdata folder can but not always contain a few gigabytes of stuff which can be deleted, depends on how much installing and deleting of stuff you do, the default is 7 days of backups, suggest if short on space reduce it and check old backups are actually getting deleted.
The internet/cache in the userdata folder can also contain a large number of files, mostly it's where the cdps are downloaded to before installing if you have never emptied it then it won't do any harm to delete the contents.
Delete obsolete items in manage content, you can only delete items that are obsolete and not builtins.

Database repairs and extended data base repairs can fill up the backup folder so keep an eye on it.

If say downloading a route and it's a load of rubbish and you decide to delete it, use the today filter and everything that was installed by the route will be listed and you can get rid of them, don't do that if you have downloaded other stuff on the same day though!

C:drive 500gb (m2.ssd)
-T19local 93 gb (28470 items installed) (backup set at 2days)
-..../appdat/local/N3vgames Tane 257mb, trs19 305mb

D:drive HD 10k rpm 2T
\Games\
-TRS2004 5.6gb
-TS2009 4.6gb
-TANE 15,1gb
-TS19 87.8gb
-xxTS19SP1 (backup) 86.4gb

Back