.cdp and Trainz icons

nimec

Some time ago I lost the orange and yellow .cdp icon for cdp files. They jut disappeared and it could not be found in the Sys 32 icon 'library' or anywhere on my PC. So I used the blue Trainz 'front end' icon in its place. Recently while testing the pre-BETA T:ANE my PC crashed and during the recovery I lost everything completely. NTFS files and all content, a completely empty, clean Hard drive.
Fortunately I had backed up my game prior to the Testing and re-installed it but now have also lost the Trainz icon as well. Is just not there. Consequently the icon for my .cdp files are now just a white rectangle. My game is Ts12 version 61388 with Ts10, Blue Comet and Murchison all backed into it. I have S & C as well but haven't bothered to re-installed it since my last crash [when a new HD failed] early last year. Can I get the icons back by reinstalling either Ts10 or 12? if so where do I put them? In new new folder? Cheers

If you have reinstalled trainz all the icons will be installed. The white icon should change to the cdp icon when you open one. You can also use open with and direct the path to your auran installation. 2010/bin/content manager. CDP icon is round and green, the yellow one I think dates back to the original trainz.

Sorry, I may have misled you a bit there. I didn't actually re install trains from the DVD, but just copied my back up back on to PC after I re installed Win 7. I have looked in /bin/content as you suggested and they are both there. Thank but how do I get one of them form there to be the.cdp icon instead of the white rectangular 'document ' one. Cheers.

Sorry, I may have misled you a bit there. I didn't actually re install trains from the DVD, but just copied my back up back on to PC after I re installed Win 7. I have looked in /bin/content as you suggested and they are both there. Thank but how do I get one of them form there to be the.cdp icon instead of the white rectangular 'document ' one. Cheers.

You need to associate CDPs with Content Manager.

Shift+right-mouse button click on a CDP. You should see an Open With... in the list. (If the shift doesn't work, just right mouse-button and see if that works.)

Browse to where you put your TS12 and then to the BIN folder.

Click on ContentManager.exe which will have a steam locomotive icon.

Now, you won't have the orange icon, but instead the same one as Content Manager, and this means that CDPs will be opened automatically with CM.

Hope this helps.

John

If you've got the Trainz files present, my Trainz Protocol Changer tool will also be able to fix this problem as well.

Shane

Thanks John & Shane. The right click does not bring up Open with ... just Open, therefore doesn't give me the opportunity to follow your path John. However when I open the .bin file I see two Content Manager files. One had the Auran/N3V blue loco front end, and when opened, is my Content Manager. The other is called Content Manager _34 and had the orange and yellow .cdp icon. However when I open that one all I get is the same orange and yellow cdp icon sitting in the middle of a clean sheet. If I try to copy it, so that I can move it, when I copy then paste it, all that appears is a white rectangular document icon, not the .cdp icon that I copied. It will not reproduce. If I lso try to copy and paste the Auran icon al I get here I get a white square with the MS heavy blue line across the top and a yellow triangle in it with an exclamation mark in it.
If I was to try to drag and drop either of the icons from the .bin file so that they would apear as the icon identifying a .cdp file, which file/folder do you suggest I drop it into? I have had a look at Shane's Protocol Changer but don't quite understand it and therefore don't feel competent enough to give it a try at this stage. Perhaps I should leave this and forget it all, but its annoying to know that the icons are on my PC but I cant get them into the game. Cheers

Last edited:
Open the white icon and a window should appear with a list of programmes to open it with. Select browse and locate your trainz/bin/content manager.exe and select it. Tick the box that asks if you want all files of this type to be opened with this programme. then click OK.

Hi I'd like to thank you for helping me. =) Now the content is all fixed now I can skip importing CDP's. =)

Back