Penn Line GG1 Freight Set: Need some information

gp792

Butner Lines Railroad Co.
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me more about a certain Penn Line train set. A few years ago, my friend gave me a box with 'Penn Line' on it and it had it's original price tag on it. I still have this set (and its box), but I want to know more about what I have. It's a GG1 with freight cars, including a working searchlight car. So, how old is this set? And how scarce is it? Any help and information would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to find too much about this set.

Penn Line made trains from 1947-1963. Your GG1 was introduced in the late 50's around 1956, so, I would say your set is from between 1956-1963. I do know that some of the Penn Line items later came to be sold by Bowser, Life Like and Athearn. As for scarcity, the real value is in the packaging itself. However, I have very little of an idea as to how much it is worth. It probably isn't as much as if it were an old Lionel HO train set in box (as I have one of them). It really depends on who would want to buy it, as I am not personally acquainted with any Penn Line collectors, so again, I wouldn't have the slightest idea of value.

So, since you said that it came with freight cars, the one I found that would probably be the set you have is in the lower right of this page.
pennlinecatalog1958pg03.jpg

Last edited:
Back