Screenshot of The Week: August 24 to Aug 31 2014 (Light Rail)

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Greetings.

It's a bus, it's a train...it's a light railway! This week's theme is brought to you by Zec (s301); Light Rail. Please send your theme suggestions for subsequent competitions via email or Skype by clicking on the little icons below my username.

One screenshot allowed per entrant. Screenshots must adhere to the theme and the
Trainz Forum Code of Conduct.

Submission closes on Aug 31 at
12:00 noon UTC/GMT/Zulu time.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Another good theme...

... a pair of wagons await their final pick up before the closure of this particular narrow gauge line c.1960
rbar_164_20130124_0000-1.jpg

Cheers
Stevo

Not only that, but when you look into many Welsh and Irish narrow gauge(and even some standard gauge lines in the UK and Ireland) were filed under the Light Railway Act, and so are technically "light railways". I'm fairly sure that that's what Zec imagined when he suggested it. He actually did say "light railways" instead of "light rail".

@ AMTRAKwannabe:
An apple is fruit, fruit is not always an apple.

He actually did say "light railways" instead of "light rail".
Where about did he "actually" say that?
The only source of information I have is the first post and it is clearly written without that S in there. If you have another source I would like to see a link to that.
by Zec (s301); Light Rail.

Anyway,
How about Zec jumps in and give us the final verdict about what he actually had in mind?

Morning all; I can't resist trying to get SOMETHING into the contest! How about this light (lightly used) rail? Just give me the boot if it's not right!

Cheers .... Rick

rickf77_20140826_0000.jpg~original

Well, I, too, hope this fits the theme!

In GER days, we see a humble tram locomotive leaving a station, pulling a small passenger carriage and a few goods wagons.

Kieran.

@ AMTRAKwannabe:
An apple is fruit, fruit is not always an apple.

Where about did he "actually" say that?
The only source of information I have is the first post and it is clearly written without that S in there. If you have another source I would like to see a link to that.

Anyway,
How about Zec jumps in and give us the final verdict about what he actually had in mind?
Usually nicky allows being "creative" with the theme so as to allow for as many entries as possible -- so I would say all entries are valid.

Dear all,

Themes are supposed to be fun and challenging, not a source of pedantry. What fun would a competition be if all the entries were of trams or whatever it is Wikipedia has to say about it that week? The short description in the opening post is usually just an off-hand thought about the theme and not a strict guideline. You may and are encouraged to be creative in your interpretation of the theme. As long as it is not grossly off-topic (ie. Diesel in a Steam contest), it's good to go.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Hi All
My original idea was "Light Railways" (similar to US 'shortline' roads I believe; basically railways built cheaply/lightly - timber tramways are an example of this), however 'light rail' (trams and similar) are also within what I saw. They are still essentially a modern form of the original light railways, being a light railway (it's pretty rare that a full size loco could run on a 'light rail' network without issues!).

Regards

"Someone should have double checked the timetable! Do we or do we not need to jump .... nope! Thank goodness the signals worked for the AI"

My contribution is a Draisine (light auxillary rail vehicle aka wiki). If this does not fit with "light rail" well the ole delete key will fit the bill.

Last edited:
Hi All
My original idea was "Light Railways" (similar to US 'shortline' roads I believe; basically railways built cheaply/lightly - timber tramways are an example of this), however 'light rail' (trams and similar) are also within what I saw. They are still essentially a modern form of the original light railways, being a light railway (it's pretty rare that a full size loco could run on a 'light rail' network without issues!).

Regards
OH, okay. Thanks Zec! That cleared it up a lot.
*Nicky, can I have permission to change photos?:hehe:

Testing On Schedule

14893648087_abbeab5391_k.jpg

Testing of a light rail train on loan from Europe, on the new LRT line, is going well. Hopefully it will be in service soon.

Back