Having the AI Change a Signal

Frimbo

I am modifying the App Coal Route from Trainz Simulator 2 for Mac. In it, I have created a session where an EB Nickel Plate Freight Meets a WB PRR T1 at Radford. My route modifications involved setting up cameras, changing the default directions of switches, and adding track marks and directional marks.

When I run the session driving the EB NKP freight (which I take over using the Move to command), it does well from Cowan Tunnel to the west entrance to Radford Yard where it gets a Red Signal that reads "Route ahead is unsignaled" when I click on it. The next command is to navigate via a Radford yard track mark I have placed that is beyond the signal and is in the same direction that the switch (junction) is set for.

After several minutes of waiting, I decided to take out the Move to command and let AI do the waiting while I drove the WB T1 that was in the middle of its 2 minute station stop at Radford and not blocking the path of the EB.

As soon as I let the AI take over, the signal changes and the EB moves forward under AI control. This has happened twice now. It would seem that the guys in the West Radford Tower are aware of my driving issues!

Any ideas about why a signal will not clear the human driver, but behave as expected for AI?

Also, when I run the sessions - even when I save, exit, and reload - I get rapidly changing x and y coordinates in the lower left hand screen corner as the chase camera follows the train. Not a big issue, but just curious if this is expected.

Many thanks from a rookie getting totally addicted to this wonderful simulation!

Hi, and welcome to Trainz. Yes, it can be very addictive.

There could be a whole host of reasons why the AI does better than you.

You will find that if there is no route to the next signal or an end of track bumper then a red indication on a signal will never clear. It could, for example, be something as basic as a trailing switch set the wrong way or a loose consist standing on the track between the locomotive and bumper. The bumper, by the way, acts as a red signal.

So one possible reason is that a switch needs to be changed somewhere in front of the locomotive and consist - the AI does that to get to the next designated destination, but you don't.

I'd suggest trying again, but this time scout ahead using the 4-key or map view to see what lies in front.

Tell us what you discover.

Phil

AI will always take control of junctions and signals over non AI trains. It would sound like you have a junction that is set incorrect for the route you want to take. An example would be crossing over from one track to the next when only the first junction has been set. The signal will see only to the second junction and report unsignaled as it cant see the next signal.

Thanks for the answers. You were both spot on.

When I double clicked on the signal aspect, it took me straight to the switch - did not know about that helpful feature. The culprit was trailing points headed to a loco servicing track all the way on the east side of the yard. I edited the route, changed the default direction of the switch, relaunched from the same spot, and was cleared into the yard.

It is puzzling to me how a train clears these issues when driven by AI, but does not when I am at the throttle. The command string is the same, I am just popping in an out of driving with the move to commard. Is there any way to have this happen automatically when I am driving - a command I can put in the string or an option I can add like the custom HUD?

The switch that stopped me was unsignalled in a yard. Would this be different if it were a signalled switch such as the entrance to a passing track on the main?

Signals and switches will revert to default when you take over the driving of a train. AI is using driver commands to set a route and sets the junction and signals etc. A manual driven train has no instructions nor any type of control on signals and junctions. An AI train will see your train but only as a non driveable piece of rolling stock. Manual means everything the train needs to do, you have to do manually including changing junctions. The string is non operational while in manual control.

Back