Portals

lndshrk25

Can somebody help me out and explain to me how portals work..purpose and whatnot? i see them all over but have basically have ignored them..now its time to learn them and use them..thinking they might add another level of enjoyment ..perhaps ?

Their main purpose is to produce and consume trains. They can be set up in Surveyor, although some portals can be used to re-produce a derailed train (the Re-Rail portals, although only one should be set up to do this per route), and some can send trains to other users (the IPortals). Details of those should be in the TS12 manual if you've got a copy.

Shane

i was running a consist on a route i had downloaded and it went into the portal and disappeared..thought HEY..? didnt understand what happened..so they just go away? so that must be the iPortal one huh..

I-portals are used to send trains to another person via internet and have them send you trains.(to learn more about I-portaling talk to some of guy on team speak @ 24.34.133.237 they i-portal to each other)
A Re-railportal is to return derailed trains back to your session.(they don't work as good as they should, they will return as many as 15 of the same train one after another.)
Portals,these can be used in a lot of ways.
(to transfer trains from one end of the route to another)
(can be setup to have trains come out at times you want them to)
(to get rid of trains for some reason)
Remember to have an exit track longer then your longest train without a junction or signal.

iPortals can also send a train to one of your other routes, on your own PC ... or to another persons PC right across the room.
Remember to have an exit track longer then your longest train without a junction or signal.
Why ... What happens if the exit is shorter ?
I never noticed any problems when I used a short exit track.
Aside from iPortals not remembering configuration settings, when making a new session.

Last edited:
I prefer the I-Portals to any other portal I've used in Trainz. And, they are not just for sending trains to another user via the internet. That was one of the original purposes for them, but there were lots of problems related to that and it never seemed to become very popular. On any route I download or create I install I-Portals anywhere a track terminated at the edge or end of a route. My routes are set to receive and send trains from/to other routes via the I-Portals. All my routes are within the same PC and I have never sent anything to another route via the internet. I-Portals are easy to set up and very reliable, at least through TS-2010. I cannot speak for TS-12. With a few exceptions, a train exiting one route and arriving on another route will retain the same car numbers and loads. You can also use these to turn a train or have it appear somewhere else in the same route. If you configured a train to exit Route 1 and arrive at a specific portal on Route 2, but change your mind and now want to direct it to another portal (or the same portal) then you can easily do that while the session is running (i.e., this does not require a change in the session setup in surveyor).

I've had problems with some of the newer portals designed to "eat" trains and "spit out" new trains on some interval. The new trans were often incomplete and without loads and I sometimes got "ghost trains" I could not get control over unless I rammed them with a locomotive that I did have control over. These "ghost trains" (usually just a couple of engines) would plod down the mainline at less than 5 MPH and would become apparent when all your AI trains started getting backed up and stopping.

If you've never tried them, place one on a route in Surveyor and use the ? mark icon and click on the I-Portal. Here you can give the portal a unique name. The I-Portal ID needs to be unique also since it is used at other I-Portals as the Destination ID. Send to User *NOBODY* applied only to sending a train to someone else via the internet. Destination I-Portal ID is the I-Portal ID to which you are sending the train. Send Trains Via the Internet or Only Within this Computer are your next options. I always use Only Within this Computer. I'm not exactly sure what Check for Trains does except possibly check for a new train arriving in the portal at the user specified number of minutes and provide you with an alert. I don't use it. The last setting for Driver Mode After Create (Manual or Auto) is self explanatory. I have always used manual where the train recreates itself and drives just clear of the portal and stops to await new orders. Trains are not created until you direct them to be. A portal queue can hold several trains in it awaiting your directions to "spit them out".

A train will disregard signals until it is completely clear of the portal.
The main idea with is to give you longer running, like the track hidden behind scenery in a model layout.
Another thing an I-portal can do is send a train to another route with an I-portal, on the same computer.
Once you have it setup you send the train out the I-portal, close down the layout, start the route you sent it to and hey presto, there is your train to run on the new route.
cheers,
Mike

I use both Portals and iPortals, portals with QuickPortalManager for scheduled train creation and iPortals to exchange trains with friends. iPortals can be quirky at times.

Back