Lost Route File

Roy3b3

Twelve months ago I created from scratch a layout of the south coast of England, which was highly detailed and took me many months to put together. Soon after I did data base upgrades but found that the 'Route' was no longer visible on the TS12 Route list. It had just disappeared. However before my PC upgrade was done, I did save three (3) 'Sessions' of it in Driver mode. On opening the TS12 program, we have the choice to select "Routes" or "Sessions". If I choose Sessions I can see and select my 3 Session Files and continue driving. BUT, I cannot close and 'Edit' it in Surveyor, as I would normally. It does not give me that option anymore. I have found the 3 files under User Data\Cache\Session File but right-clicking the file to do a restore tells me that there isn't any previous versions available. Does anyone know the step by step procedure so that I can copy this file and create a new 'route' file so that I can use and edit it as normal in Surveyor???? I appreciate any good suggestions. Thanks!
Roy3b3 ,

I'm afraid what you want to do isn't possible. The session data saved in Driver isn't enough to restore the route itself.

Shane

Thanks Shane,
That's what I thought it might be. I did think there might have been a slight chance to clone it and save myself another 3 months in having to do it all again. Oh well, I know what needs to be done - I'd better get started straight away and maybe do it even better.Cheers.
Roy3b3

Hi Roy,
Before you did your PC upgrade, did you save Trainz to a separate folder? If you did, you need to install Trainz from the original disc or download, then upgrade it to the appropriate version. Then import all of your data from the saved version of Trainz using the Content Manager (File: Import Content). Depending on your original content, this can be a long and arduous process, but you will find all of your original content once you have done that. If you didn't save your original content then what Shane says is true.

Thanks guys, but I didn't take those early precautions so it looks like it may be far better for me to start it all over again. A few screenshots in Driver mode to capture the most detailed sections, plus a little bit of Google Earth and I'm back in business.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

"On opening the TS12 program, we have the choice to select "Routes" or "Sessions". If I choose Sessions I can see and select my 3 Session Files and continue driving. BUT, I cannot close and 'Edit' it in Surveyor, as I would normally. It does not give me that option anymore."

Have you clicked on the gold star and cleared the favorites? This will hide things that you might need such as the route, but keep the sessions visible. If this is the case and you still have this situation, it's bad news.

This is why I make a complete backup of my Trainz install and then do incremental backups to the same folder every evening after using Trainz that day. By doing this I always have an up-to-date version, or only a day or two different, from the last time I used Trainz. I've been there and done your route, no pun intended before, and learned the hard way.

John

Back