Lucky escape!

Why were they on the bridge? Glad that no one was hurt, but the stupidity of some people just amazes me.

Sadly this happens all the time. For people they feel that railroad tracks are another path or short-cut whether the tracks are active or not.

John

Silly train, doesn't it know how to turn and avoid the two young ladies?

This is why people build these:
9348platformtracks.jpg

Why were they on the bridge? Glad that no one was hurt, but the stupidity of some people just amazes me.

Evedently it was in a rural area like Indiana, where there are no roads, nor other bridges ... one must stop, look, listen ... and have his/her RR tie hoppin' shoes on, in order to quickly run the length of a 500' long bridge, that has no emergency escapements off to the side, before a high speed train comes along, (Note: fat people can not lie in the gauge, and not get all balled up in the running gear, as a train passes over top of them) !

Two Indiana women are lucky to be alive after they were run over by a 14,000-ton coal train when they found themselves trapped on a railroad bridge.

Incredible video footage from and Indiana Railroad locomotive shows the women laying down in the middle of the tracks. The train, which has a mere ten inches of clearance above the railroad ties, miraculously passed harmlessly over top of them.
After the train finally stopped, both women stood up and ran away. One of the women shouted at the engineer that she had a stubbed toe, Indiana Railroad spokesman Eric Powell told MailOnline.

The women had been walking along Shuffle Creek Trestle Bridge, a narrow railroad bridge 80 feet above a creek bed outside Bloomington, Indiana, at 6.30 am on July 10.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised the train could pass over them. Most Americans are getting on the "wide side" to put it mildly...

Still shame on them for being on RR property. They were trespassing and should be fined.

John

Most Americans are getting on the "wide side" to put it mildly...

He's more than likely not on the forums, but I know a guy from high school that is more knowledgeable about trains than I am. When we graduated from high school, he was skinny, last time I saw him, which was at a retirement party for a teacher who had a big influence in our lives, he had gotten a little meat on the bones. When I mentioned that I thought he was becoming a vegetarian, he told me that he wishes he could plant and grow bacon. I must note that this party took place at a steakhouse, so I was sitting next to him with a nine-ounce steak and he had a salad in front of him. If it was the other way around, that's torture for me!

The two women drove away after leaving the bridge. Their licence number was taken by a fisherman and they've been arrested and charged with (something) trespass.

Back