Handbrakes on JR cars

Okay. I've increased the number of hoppers to 53, which means the train is now 5180 tons. All other factors remain the same - number of locos, same location, etc.
I release the train brake, put on the sander, and increase the throttle to notch 2. The train goes to 1mph and back down to 0 - obviously the slack un-bunching. I increase to notch 3, and the train begins to move, and 4, then we pick up speed. This is odd - but there are a couple reasons why this run might be better than the original time I tried starting on this grade.
Would mixing the YN2 and stealth locomotives affect this? That is what I did originally, while this run was 3 YN2s.
Another factor might be train length. This train was about half a mile, while the other one was about a mile, with many empty cars.
Well, it seems to work anyway. I'll try again with the original train.

OK - this train has the same makeup as the original I was having problems with. 3 engines - the train is 4832 tones this time - the cars must be loaded differently.
Released brake, started sanding, put throttle to 3, and the train doesn't move. I increase the throttle to 4, and then to 5, and it still doesn't move. I think the train length has something to do with this - as mentioned before this train is nearly a mile long. I couldn't get this moving even in notch 7.

Summary:
3 engines, 5180 tons, 0.5% grade, half-mile train - moves
3 engines, 4832 tons, 0.5% grade, mile-long train - doesn't move

not really. at this point they should be able to move that tonnage in any case presented even with no sand. try switching to that engine spec i mentioned and while you are in there see if the mass reads 166015 as it should.

Okay. I tried changing the mass and changing the espec kuid. This train, and this train only, still doesn't move? Could it be that this is a train spawned in via quick drive and then instantloaded?

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

It turns out that last few brakes were taking forever pop off after releasing the automatic. At any rate, you were correct; the handbrakes had nothing to do with it.

Thank you for the feedback!

Back