Opinions needed (Wheel tread)

S301

Zec, the owner of ZecRail
Hi all
I'm currently working on finishing one of my current projects, and I need some opinions. I know there is a lot of debate about what they should look like, and I've been trying to find a sort of mid point between the 'standard' silver tread (Basically a gray scale gradient), and the treads that aren't worn at all.
So, I need some opinions on this texture.
wheel%20treads.jpg

If any mods think this should be moved, feel free to put it in the correct spot. I just put it here because of the image size :)

Thanks
Zec

I've yet to see unworn wheels on any engine (excepting the refurbished ones when I went to RAW Meiningen), I think you should make it look worn really.

WileeCoyote:D

Thats what I'm trying to get, but if you look at a real wheel, they are normally angle slightly. This means they wear from the flange outwards, which is what I'm trying to show. Other than this bi, I may make the silver a little more silver.
Zec

I'll admit I have changed the texture I use on every model I've made as I haven't found one I'm entirely satisfied with. This is the relevant snippet from my current attempt...

92_tyre.jpg

...and here's how it looks mapped on to the wheel treads in GMax...

92_bogie_detail1.jpg

... and in game.

92_bogie_detail2.jpg

Cheers
Dave (still not happy with his tyre tread textures)

That's looking nice Zec. Keep at it and it will look correct. At least we haven't got rivit counters saying this rust should be here! :D

Matt

That's looking nice Zec. Keep at it and it will look correct. At least we haven't got rivit counters saying this rust should be here! :D

Matt

I'm afraid Dave has missing a little bit of rust that should just on the outer side of the tyre :p

When I look at loco and wagon wheels (mmm chocolate:p) they tend to be silver all over the tyre except the very outer edge but it's only a small bit although there is some variation according to how much use the tyre in question gets.

Andy

Zec

I think that nearly all of the tread would be shiny. It is not just the rail contact that keeps the tread polished, it is also the brake shoe contact and this would be spread over almost all the tread surface.

Non-braked wheels such as leading and trailing loco bogies could have an unworn area but I think the transition between the two would be a fairly well defined edge.

Comment on your last version. I agree with the outer rusty area but not the rust at the root of the flange, that is an area that would always be shiny.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Back