New US Road System

Yes, and we need roads that are in need of repair as well, how can a route placed in a city (or rural) setting be realistic without the average, pothole patched, cracked roads? :p

Yes, and we need roads that are in need of repair as well, how can a route placed in a city (or rural) setting be realistic without the average, pothole patched, cracked roads? :p

Mr Policeman

I'm not a part of Jointed Rail, but happen to be working on this problem of cracked roads right now. I have a model ready to go but am just waiting on some decent real-world photo textures to make it sponge-worthy. In the meantime I used some low resolution Google Earth images as placeholders.

Here's a screenie showing what I'm doing. Each colored cube signifies 1 of 4 possible crack patterns available to the spline. It places these in about equal measure but in random order along the spline. This breaks up the repetition that would otherwise be obvious in the usual spline with only 1 repeat unit available. I based the model on George Fisher's AASHTO 28ft-wide roads (with his permission). Of course the final model won't have colored cubes on it (or will it?!)

~ Deane

AASHTOroadrandomcracks.jpg~original

~ Deane

Last edited:
Not bad Deane. Just need to space out the cracks a little more, so it doesnt look so repetitive.

Even with 4 crack patterns to choose from, there is bound to be some repetition even in a totally random selection. My point was that it's better than having only 1 repeating unit, which is the condition for just about every other spline you've seen. For interest, here is the actual section of road I got the textures from. It's cracked like this for miles. Comparing the model to this, I don't think it's too far from reality.

crackedroadstripcropped.jpg~original

Last edited:
Not bad Deane. Just need to space out the cracks a little more, so it doesnt look so repetitive.

Come to Michigan we'll show you cracked roads! :hehe:
Actually most of the roads I drive on to get to work look worse then the one Deane used.

But they look great Deane! Can't wait to see the finished product!

peter

This is the first time (legit) I've seen a spline with randomly-repeating segments. The implementation looks flawless, great work Deane!

Now if someone would do this to JR track...:hehe:

Last edited:
Come to Michigan we'll show you cracked roads! :hehe:
Actually most of the roads I drive on to get to work look worse then the one Deane used.

But they look great Deane! Can't wait to see the finished product!

peter

This one was from Missouri. I think I've even driven on it. But if you can get me some decent 'top-down' photos of your Michigan roads, I could sure use them. They need to capture 10m-long sections and be reasonably high-res. And the more different sections you can photograph, the easier it will be for me to pick the ones I can use. So get out there while it's still summer!

@Nicky - I'm sure the JR guys already know how to do this. My intention is not to make a whole series of randomized roads myself, but to publish an example that others may 'borrow' the method from. I've done it before with a fence spline but it was only 2 meshes randomized (there was a thread all about it, and the method is now also in the Wiki as a "How-To"). This road extends that method to make 4 meshes randomized.

Last edited:
I too agree that the YARN/'ish roads need some updating. They really are a nice bridge asset between the old floating strips of paper we had and the current quality assets being produced today.

I use both the YARN and YARNish roads on my TS12 route without issues. The older YARN roads are fine for slow traffic, and if matched with the YARN intersections, they work fine. The 'ish' roads are great for higher speeds and work well with their corresponding intersections. I have also reskinned a bunch for my own use. I have used brick, cobble, gravel, and sand textures on them. I've even gone as far as to remove traffic and made some of them one-way streets.

Now if we could have an updated road system I'm all for it. In the mean time, if anyone could make some odd-angled intersections to match the YARN-series (inclusive of the 'ish-es), it would be nice. I'm not a gimmie pig nor request stuff often unless I see a potential for use by everyone.

John

Back