Keeping computer in good shape

"...Unfortunately not every one can afford Apple prices ..."

Not telling people to buy an Apple... just that I haven't had any malware or security breaches in the 5 years I used one. Their browser "Safari" works well for me on a Windows and does not seem to "attract" the malware or pop-ups that other win browsers do. YMMV.
Thanks, Mike

BTW: I live on social security and have no savings or investments paying me any dividends...

Last edited:
We won't get into a discussion of the relative price performance but Apple's profit margin is considerably higher than other manufacturers. Win 8.1 I tend to avoid, Newegg.com has a number of Windows machines that are cheaper than $679, refurbished ones are a lot cheaper.

I have a Win 8.1 laptop upstairs that I rarely use however if I search for notepad click top right screen in desktop mode, then right click notepad when it appears you can select to put it on the task bar. Once on the task bar right click and it gives you properties, including location, <Ctrl>C or copy then right click on the screen, new then shortcut, paste the location from properties (<Crtl>V) and you have notepad on the desktop. To put calculator on as well as notepad is essentially the same.

As always if you have some knowledge you can see more options and select a more optimal one. If you read the financial news you'll see just how much wider Apple's margins are, which basically means you pay more for less.

Cheerio John

Back