Narrow gauge screenshots

Been think about a system big enough to run all the nice SAR locos and rolling stock, remembered i still had the IofWNGR network a fictious 2ft version of the network using minimum number of baseboards now, after inport had trouble with buckles appearing, my logic is when sar converted to cape gauge england brought a lot of the old 2ft items to convert the island to reduce running and maintence costs. Also good place for the compartmant and 2ft mainline coaches as well some items set as SR the other still as IWCR and maybe the other smaller companys? .Figure this might make a good next project after Gairloch Southern is finished.

What do you think

Tom
20160902_162317_zpsghsgxmom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So as part of my ongoing process of importing stuff from my older installations of trainz I finally got around to BDANeal's narrow gauge stuff here is some of the NG36 goodies.

I had forgotten how very good these looked and how very innovative Ben is. The flags on the locomotive below are animated. How good is that!

I had also forgotten just how many Rio Grande and Denver and Rio Grande locomotives there are by bdaneal, elevnor, and prowler.

Does anyone know of a D&RG route big enough to give them a good workout?

How about Timber Ridge Line? If not, try Southern Appalachia Valley - it's still in progress but I'm sure I'll share it with all trainzers

Thanks jcbeytien I'll check them out. Edit: WOW! I don't know how I missed Timber Ridge Line, so good! Thanks again.

I was reminded of Wild Bill II.

This is a dual gauge route but I guess it'll be OK here. :D

Last edited:
Home at last. :D

All of Prowler901's DRG locomotives shoehorned in, it will look better once I start spreading them out across this massive layout. Then I'll have room for all the other DRG locomotives. LOL

Normhart, I'd like to let you know something about the dual gauge track featured on that route, particularly the curves. The dual gauge track is set up like bridges, meaning it is not intended to be used on curves. If you want the dual gauge track to curve, you need the 'MAN6 Joining Track' for the standard gauge track, and 'MAN6 Invisible Track' for the narrow gauge track. The way this is also set up makes dual gauge track even more complicated. The dual gauge track is like two separate tracks laid over each other. This means that if you want to use signaling on the dual gauge section or dual gauge switches, you need signals for the narrow gauge track and a separate set of signals for the standard gauge track, and a switchstand for the narrow gauge track and a switchstand for the standard gauge track. Because of this, if a standard gauge train has a red 'stop' signal and the narrow gauge has a green 'proceed' signal, they will literally pass through each other. Also, in the case of dual gauge switches, if the switch is set on the standard gauge track is set to the 'diverging' route, while the narrow gauge is set for the 'normal' route, again a narrow gauge train will pass through a standard gauge train. Because of these reasons, I replaced the dual gauge track with 'MAN6 Four Rail Track', which is set up like any other track for Trainz, though one set of rails is for standard gauge, and the other two rails are for narrow gauge. This also solves the signaling, switches, and curve problems. Just letting you know in case you want to take the extra time to make the change on the dual gauge section.

Thanks for the info. Turns out that, even as big as it is, there really isn't enough room on the layout for all Prowler's stuff. LOL. I'm going to have to get picky but it is good to see these guys where they belong.

Edit: More :D

Last edited:
Ooo! Nice stuff Mac! Glad to see I am not the only one to fill up yards with collections of locomotives. :D

30" gauge US stuff

Edit: 30" in action early morning at Thomas' Lumber.

Last edited:
I'm sorry kids. I don't mean to sound rude, but this is getting ridiculous with showing a collection of locomotives with every freakin' screenshot. Spice it up a bit ;)

Here is the Stone River station. A small outpost in the heart of the mountains. Nothing here but a small town in need of railroad service. Date is 1877

28f91ed541ec7a760d0571f02287e4da.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

Nice shots normhart, You sure know how to put on a good show with your screenshots with the whole parade of engines. Nice job.

Beautiful loco lineups Norm (but I'm glad I don't have to pay your coal and water bills).:eek:

As a slight aside - some years ago when I spent a few days in Durango (to ride the D&S of course) I also took the shop tour and asked the gent giving the tour if the EPA gave them a hard time about all those coal burning engines. Answer was no as they had a source of low sulfur coal which kept the EPA happy. So here's hoping Norm gets his coal from the same mine:hehe:.

Ben

I can't help but be reminded about a little bit of info I learned from visiting the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum during Railfest: Both they and the theme park Dollywood (for their Dollywood Express) both get their coal from the same coal mine in either West Virginia or Pennsylvania. The only thing is that Dollywood seems to have problems with the coal, but the TVRM doesn't. I will note that 4501 seems to produce more soot than 630. I think it's because that 4501 has a stoker and 630 doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys there haven't fired a locomotive with a stoker before (unless they've previously driven 611, 1218, 765 or 2716), so they could be shoving more coal into the firebox than needed, hence the soot.

Thanks Matt, the first thing I do when I'm looking at a new (to me) route is figure out what kind of rolling stock would be appropriate and begin collecting stuff for it. With this route, that has three different gauges, collecting was more fun than usual. Not only was there all Prowler901's DRG stuff, both 36NG and standard gauge, there were a few other DRG SG locomotives to throw into the mix. But my first pass flying over the route in Surveyor to evaluate how well it had survived the transition to TANE revealed that there were many collapsed trestles on the 36NG section and that I was going to need to do some studying on the dual gauge operations so I took a look at the 30NG line which was fine and decided to focus on that section of the route first.

Dustin, there is a method to my madness. I always collect all my rolling stock in the biggest yard available on the route and you should be glad that I spare you all the screenies that I take of the locomotives and especially all the rolling stock. Imagine all the miles and miles of box cars. :D I had not paid much attention to the 30ng US steam era rolling stock but this route gave me an excuse. If you look closely at the locomotive collection you will find many duplicates most by bdaneal and cloned by philskene but several others as well. The first thing I did was compare how well they performed in TANE and eliminated those that were not so good. I still had more locomotives than could comfortably fit in the two main yards on the route so I broke them down by fuel. I had already determined that the primary fuel was apparently Oil since there were oil fuel tanks at both ends but only one coaling facility at one end. I had also determined that there were only two main industries on the 30NG line, a coal mine and a logging operation. Now it has always made sense to me that logging operations would use wood fired engines and, after testing, I had four wood fired locomotives available so I transferred them to the Thomas Lumber siding. Yes I know that doesn't explain screenies of locomotive collections Dustin. Well here are my reasons for posting those, first because I can, second because I'm proud of my collections, and third because it may give other users ideas. They may say wow norm where did you get this or that locomotive or they may say hey norm what about this or that locomotive that you don't have. Both ways we win even if the occasional screenshot irritates you. ;)

Matt, once I determined the locomotives for the logging operation I took a look at what the route expected me to do with the logs. Not only is there the Thomas Lumber siding there was a Dry Sort Yard at one end of the 30NG line that allowed me to transfer the logs to the 36ng line. All right with that I had the first revenue operation and I set up a consist of empty flat cars with caboose and one of the three 2-6-6-2 Mallets available. At the logging site I set up a consist of empty bulkhead cars (who knew someone made those? Thanks david111767!) with a 0-4-2T. I told the Mallet engineer to drive to the Thomas Siding while I hopped into the tank engine to load logs on to the bulkhead cars. That went fairly well with the Mallet arriving not long after I'd completed loading. Then I realized there were problems; while I could get the tank engine out of the way and drop the empties on the siding and pick up the loaded cars from the spur, all the futzing around with the caboose would cause the mainline to be blocked for a considerable time. Unacceptable! Furthermore the Mallet would have to go all the way to Redtop to get turned around to get back to the dry sort yard. By this time I had decided that I liked the route well enough to spend some serious time on it so... I added one of pencil42's 30NG turntables at Thomas' and converted the 30NG track to pencil42's 70lb Brown Milled and confirmed that tunnels and trestles all looked OK. This had the added benefit of giving me somewhere to store all four woodburners. I re-ran the scenario and while getting the locomotive and caboose turned around was time consuming the mainline was open for much longer. That is where the "action" screenie came from. :hehe:

Ben as to my fuel costs, this route has a coal mine, a logging operation, and oil wells. They pay for themselves. :hehe:

Edit: Dustin, if I hadn't posted those screenshots of my collection of bdaneal's 36ng locomotives I might not have found out about the Timber Ridge Line route.

Last edited:
i've ported my freelance 36NG route into TANE . amazingly its working almost 99% fine with the content i have and i am working to get it completed so i can (hopefully ) add it to the DLS , its going to take a few months and i also have to get permission from some content creators to use reskinned trees , tunnel mouths etc. it also has a lot of payware trees from JVC - most especially the rocky mountain packs. i use some murchison stuff but i am going to replace that.
anyway if anyone want to test the route for me when i get nearer to completing it , can you send me a message and i'll get in touch .
meanwhile heres a few screenshots , i'm working to get all the vegetation planted into the ground and to make some hills more realistic etc.
Screen-Shot-2016-10-06-at-4.38_zpsvmgmkbef.jpg

approaching the grade up to the mountains

Screen-Shot-2016-10-06-at-4.34_zpsj0czsawl.jpg

logging country

Screen-Shot-2016-10-06-at-4.41_zps7y7ktbzt.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-10-06-at-4.33_zpsakzko0fe.jpg

logging waste in the river valley

Screen-Shot-2016-10-06-at-4.40_zpsa3bx1dbp.jpg

snaking up the loops to the hill country

Last edited:
Back