Narrow gauge screenshots

No problem Norm. Nice screenshots by the way. Have you noticed that the tender on the SL&RL #17 does not match the color of the engine. If you go on Trainz Zone you noticed the difference.

Matt

I'd forgotten about the excursion cars, they were on the DLS but not there now, the only evidence is that the Excursion car interior is still there. Where did you find them? Was it on the Darjeeling site? They were probably the last things I made before I got involved in T:ane.

Having said that I have managed to find the green version but not the yellow one. Would you be kind and email me both CDP's so I can bring the DLS up-to-date. My email address is in the configs.

Peter

There was a download on one of your older topics. I'm out at a bar right now, I will look them up for you Peter when I get home. And yes I will send them to you to your email address when I get home.

Last edited:
Cheers

When you are home, tell me where you found #17 on Trainzone, I only made #15,#16 and #18. Interesting! I found the downloads for the cars but for some reason they only produce the green version. No rush

Peter

Last edited:
Sorry did I say 17??? I beg my pardon so I actually meant for 16's tender. Sorry for the typo. Also I did some searching on the forums and someone did a reskins of the SL&RL equipment and re lettered them as WW&F but I'm not sure if he released them.

Last edited:

So what do you think?

Clearlake Logging Co. first #2 (replaced by a Shay in 1916) and #3. I have never accepted that locomotives should be gray, especially light gray and almost all the logging locomotives seem to be for some reason.

Even these very old pictures of very old locomotives are not gray. http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=roads/ca/wslco/requiem/index.htm

Edit: I haven't done the undercarriages yet.

Last edited:
Re colours.

Do we have any colour photos of old logging locos? Tinted black and whites don't count.

I originally dressed my original Climax in green and was told that was not right. Someone who seemed to know what he was talking about, made the greyish colour and sent me the texture. As the Climax was the first logging loco, everyone since has had the same idea. The current colour comes out too light in T:ane, it is actually a darker grey

I'm not sure about the black, much too clean, I doubt whether engine crews had the time or inclination to wash their loco.

As long as they get used and appreciated, I don't really care what colour my locos are, as long as they look "right".

Peter

Hey Peter the link at the bottom of my last post leads to "Requiem for the West Side" which contains many color photos (printed from color slides) taken in 1959 of locomotives that were mostly built before 1922 and so far as I can tell were not re-tinted. Of course there are all sorts of arguments about the color fidelity of film. This page http://www.pacificng.com/pdf/web/viewer.html?file=/roads/ca/wslco/requiem/section1b.pdf shows WSLC Heisler #2 built in Feb. 1899 and which at the time of the photo had been sitting on the siding for 10 years.

BTW I did not paint it black. I decreased the brightness so all the rust and smudges remain, just darker.

They are your locomotives and I love them no matter what color they are. As I said almost all the ng logging locomotives seem to be that gray color so they match pretty well. Like whecsailor's GE 23ton boxcab above and bdaneal's Dummy.

(and as you know I like your green one)

I've had arguments with philskene about gray locomotives too. :D

PS no intention of releasing them. The lettering sucks and I'm not really pleased with the color balance either.

Edit. Page 1a of the "Requim" shows Heisler #3 also from 1899, no idea how long she'd been sitting but from the weathering quite awhile but, you'll note, not gray.

Last edited:
Okay... so this isn't exactly a screenshot but...

This is a shot-ish video I made of my Pueblo Creek route. It only shows the town proper and an average start to another day on their little railroad. It's my first attempt at making a video like this, ever, so it's not perfect. Especially the ending credits. For the life of me I couldn't slow it down!
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy!

PS: Does anyone know where I might find a player piano environmental sound file I could use for the local saloon?

OMG That was great! Did you know that with invisible tracks and elvenor's wagons you can have moving stagecoaches, wagons, and horsemen? I have not checked to see if they work in TANE yet. (not that it would matter to you I see, Kegg_Works)

Great stuff! And people wonder why some folks have not gone past TRS2006. Just look!!!

Last edited:
OK, now I am a convert. I've never much thought that speedtrees where all that great but now I'm convinced.

I've been around Redwoods much of my life and, yeah, it looks like this. Depending on location underbrush would be ferns or mountain laurel.

These are mcguirel's Redwoods. I replaced the 8 different speedtrees I was using with just 3 redwoods and saw a definite uptick in the fps. Then I replaced most bushes with her shrubs and the fps went back to around 40.

I plan on using her smaller redwoods fill in along open areas and finish replacing the bushes.

All in all I have to say that this TS2004 SlugSmasher route has never looked better.

Gonna have to get some bigger stumps! :D

Last edited:
OMG That was great! Did you know that with invisible tracks and elvenor's wagons you can have moving stagecoaches, wagons, and horsemen? I have not checked to see if they work in TANE yet. (not that it would matter to you I see, Kegg_Works)

Great stuff! And people wonder why some folks have not gone past TRS2006. Just look!!!

Actually, I moved onto TRS12 not too long ago. Pueblo Creek (name subject to change) is intended to be a somewhat small, simple route to play around with. A small little railway with VERY light rail, and thus limiting and challenging the player to what can be realistically used.

I don know of Elvenor's wagons and horses; and I am working on some pathways for them to run on. Along with a wagon road that drivers can use to get to the other end of the line if you don't want to operate a train. ;)
I'm still trying to figure out how to program trains. I'm mostly focused on developing route building skills.

I posted some shots of my United Verde & Pacific route, though I'm at an impasse with the yard in Jerome Jct. I made it level, but with the way the landscape slopes the north end of the yard is substantially higher than the southern end. So I'm trying to figure out whether I should just level out the whole yard or put the northern end on a grade. *shrugs*

I also have a few Welsh themed narrow gauge routes if anyone is interested in seeing them, just let me know and I'll get some screenshots for ya'. :)

Back in my day them dad-gum iron horses ran in the WEST. We didn't have none o' them other railroads, all we had was deserts and 4-4-0's.

Seriously, it's nice to see some Western screenshots. I wonder if there are stub switches made for Trainz, they would be helpful for Ye Olden Time railroads.

Totally agree with Meow. I remember back during 04 and 06 western era type routes were very popular and a lot of people were building old west type routes. Now a days there has not been that much community interest into this era and I miss that. Yes we got people like Pencil42 and Trainboi1 but it's still a not that popular as it once was.

Thanks, that is the 1880's Old West route by simmons_pacific which, much to my surprise, downloaded straight into TANE 81296 with few porblems. Applause to the folks who have done the repairs on the DLS cleanup. The session is the first thing I did in trainz back in 2011. I am trying to learn the TANE session building tools using them as my base. Sadly the sound for elvenor's horse assets is pretty screwed up but I'm looking forward to getting the session working right in TANE.

I have to admit this is not the Narrow Gauge version of the route though. :( (it is available on the DLS)

Back