Narrow gauge screenshots

True, however, C&S cars very seldom ended up on D&RGW tracks, the Colorado narrow gauge railroads just didn't have as much interchange as the class 1's had, or still do I guess.

Question, is there a way to bring some of Prowler's cars up to date so they show up in TS12? Especially the more accurate later TRS2004-2006 cars?

What route is the NormHart? It look familiar from my days playing 04 and 06

That couldn't be...
Is that... Clearlake?!
It looks fantastic!

Yes, it is indeed Clearlake V2 by Slugsmasher available here http://www.steammachine.com/slugsmasher/. I modified it a bit years ago in TS12, swapping some trees, replacing the track, and replacing the lower wye with a roundhouse. It imported nicely from TS12 into TANE. I've always found it to be a fun place to test smaller narrow gauge locomotives and now that TANE is stable I've gotten to work again.

Where can I get those Rio Grande steamers for T:ANE? Are they payware?

No, they're Prowler's stock, freeware from 2004. They've aged very well is all, still work error-free in TS12 although I'm sure T:ANE changed that.

Also Norm, Clearlake does look very good, but argh, my eyes at that garish red...

Colorado71 said that he was able to import most of Prowler901's locomotives into TANE without too many problems, of my pics most are togog's although elvenor's import nicely too. As for the garish red, that is a payware Porter set from Paulztrainz.

I picked the red one mainly in reaction to the very bland, gray (almost monotone) Climax and other locomotives I've tried.

Last edited:
Question, is there a way to bring some of Prowler's cars up to date so they show up in TS12? Especially the more accurate later TRS2004-2006 cars?

Oh yes, I have most, if not all, of Prowler's freight cars in TS12. It has been so many years since I converted them I forget how I did it though. The simple answer is get AssetX but as I remember you need to take your time, address each error and warning one by one rather than depending on AssetX to solve everything. There are a lot of generic narrow gauge freight cars by slugsmasher, narrowgauge, and others that, with a little work, can be used in TS12 and TANE. All the cars in my ClearLake shots were from slugsmasher I think, most do not have a railroad logo on them.

TS12SP1HF4

Last edited:
Norm --

Clear Lake was an old time favourite of mine way back when TRS2004 was released.

You have inspired me to revisit it. Have you see my thread in the T:ANE forum, requesting suggestions for trees?

I'm in the process of updating the layout to T:ANE standards, and into a model trainz tabletop layout (bench, floor, walls, ... ).

If you or others want to see the progress I've made over the last day and a half, download here:

(Edit - link removed. Reason -- see my post #2010 below.)

All dependencies are either built-in T:ANE or from the Download Station.

Phil

Last edited:
Norm --

Clear Lake was an old time favourite of mine way back when TRS2004 was released.

You have inspired me to revisit it. Have you see my thread in the T:ANE forum, requesting suggestions for trees?

I'm in the process of updating the layout to T:ANE standards, and into a model trainz tabletop layout (bench, floor, walls, ... ).

If you or others want to see the progress I've made over the last day and a half, download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnlik6gy8kwijw1/Clear Lake Narrow Gauge Logging - TANE_160125d.cdp?dl=0

All dependencies are either built-in T:ANE or from the Download Station.

Phil

Phil, I have to ask... Have you discussed this with slugsmasher? He is still quite active and has told me he continues working on Clear Lake.

Hi Norm --

"He is still quite active and has told me he continues working on Clear Lake."

Hmmm. That's good news and bad news. Or rather bad news and good news. Or rather good news and good news.

I've removed the Dropbox link in my post above.

Phil

"Clear Lake" model train layout

I finally got a few hours to work on "Clear Lake" this afternoon. It's come out quite well as a toy train layout. And the shadows and water effects in T:ANE add the finishing touches. I'm pleased with the final result. And, hey, it's just as much fun as the original.

This is the result (best watched full screen and at 1080p) showing a little Whitecomb locomotive hauling three empty log flats from the terminus at the bay all the way up to the logging site at the upper level:

Norm --

I've sent both a PM and an email (address taken from his web site) to slugsmasher seeking his approval to share the layout, but haven't had a response. Do you have a better way of communicating with him?
_____

It's been ages since I ran consists on a NG route. I'd certainly welcome suggestions about locomotives and freight cars suitable for this layout. Ones that actually work without too much fiddling.

Phil

Last edited:
Slugsmasher may take some time to respond. He is apparently a very busy guy in real life and is on the road frequently but, once he responds, he is helpful and kind.

As I remember of the stuff on the DLS narrowgauge's 36 in gauge Black Climax locomotives (the build 3.5 ones) work ok, so does the 36ng Superclimax V4 by andrealuigi although that might be a little large for Clear Lake. narrowgauge's 36 Porter also works. I think all the shay's on the DLS require dependencies from bdaneal as do the Heislers. Crummy's on the DLS work fine, some logging skeletons are industry active and the others look ok for scenery. After that you need to start looking for stuff on third party sites.

It would be nice to see a resurgence of narrow gauge routes of any kind.

When Trainz started there was a lot of narrow gauge enthusiasm, probably from people who had built layouts and appreciated the possibility of transferring their creative skills to a computer where size and cost were no longer a factor. I think that most of Trainz current users do not have that background, I would suggest that most of them do not even know that 'narrow gauge' ever existed and why it played such a large part in railway history.

Backwoods meandering track does not fit into the current concept of long trains and high speed rail.

I guess you can see why I chose my username, I an a self-confessed narrow gauge addict.

Peter

PS Look on Trainzone for early logging stuff, if there is sufficient interest I will set to and do some updating to T:ane.

Last edited:
I two second your statement there NarrowGauge. I too have a big heart for NG and I remember back in the 04 and 06 years, the majority of the people here then were strongly interested in NG (I still miss those days somewhat because there was a big interest in the American 2 footers and 36 inch gauge (thanks to Prowler901) ever since 10 came out the NG interest has definitely decrease lately but at lest there are some who still love what NG has over Standard Gauge.

I am definitely interested in upgrading narrowgauge content! Especially if it means some of the diesel-enginespec steamers get new e-specs!
Or even if they are just updated.

Thank god it's not just me! I know I don't usually post pictures of narrow gauge routes on here, but I love narrow gauge railways just as much as the next guy! Particularly between 15inch gauge and 2ft3in gauge! It's amazing how throughout the community, hardly anyone's ever given any kind of thought into developing 15inch gauge stock for Trainz barring Trainboi's model of Northern Rock and the 18inch gauge content by Shortline (not to mention some others developing Thomas characters based off the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway). It would be nice to seeing someone extending the range of narrow gauge and minimum gauge stock for the game, as there are plenty of us here who really would appreciate it.

When Trainz started there was a lot of narrow gauge enthusiasm, probably from people who had built layouts and appreciated the possibility of transferring their creative skills to a computer where size and cost were no longer a factor. I think that most of Trainz current users do not have that background, I would suggest that most of them do not even know that 'narrow gauge' ever existed and why it played such a large part in railway history.

Backwoods meandering track does not fit into the current concept of long trains and high speed rail.

I guess you can see why I chose my username, I an a self-confessed narrow gauge addict.

Peter

PS Look on Trainzone for early logging stuff, if there is sufficient interest I will set to and do some updating to T:ane.

I'd love to see updated narrow gauge stuff on the DLS, some of whecsailor's stuff has been updated including his Dunkirk and some boxcars.

There are several industry active freight cars by pencil42, slugsmasher, and narrowgauge that have been updated via the DLS cleanup effort.

There are also two sessions for Clearlake on the DLS that were a lot of fun to run back in the day. It would be lovely to see those resurrected.

Scary just how much more realistic that all looks in T:ANE with all those extra shadows and what not... XD

I agree There is so much NG from the 04/06 days that got lost over the years, There was all the great 2ft british items that have gone SRNG and UKNG groups just for a start.

Tom

Tom

Peter

Back