Narrow gauge screenshots

The standard gauge railroad on Fross - the Monty and Warren Railroad - was eventually gonna be a joining railroad between multiple routes, kinda like how the Joy & Glennson Northwestern (the 36in) is on Bear Creek, Crimson Desert, and the unfinished (and sadly long lost - I think there's a thread on it somewhere deep in the Freeware forums) Ursa Mountains. It was intended to be a large railroad that provided a kind of continuity between some of the railroads, so really just about anything could run on it since it would be large enough to be a general freight railroad.

Heh, The Island. Wow, that's an old railroad. I believe it was my second one to release, hence why there is a lot of 'non-standard' elements to it. I was still very much learning a) how to build a railroad and b) how industries on railroads actually worked and were set up. Since the original version of White Falls was based on an On30 layout my Dad had planned (with some additions), I guess you could count The Island as my first standalone project. But what you've got there with the 18in is about what I had in mind, yeah. Just a nifty little trammer setup for the logging to bring logs hauled up by the steam donkeys and drop them off in the lake for a soaking treatment before they get cut into lumber.

@jcbeytien: Oh, that's right! I did put mist emitters on Osprey Lake. Heh; something about TANE must have blown up the particle size and radii. I forgot all about that.

Fross Station meet.

:D

Edit: Umph, after looking at that SP Pacific for awhile I decided it was way too modern for the route so I substituted something more suitable.

Edit again; then I decided the Harriman cars were too modern also but I couldn't find the kind of cars I wanted so I had to make them. (repainted Ben's TOTC cars)

:hehe: and, of course, I couldn't just repaint the four or five I needed, oh no, I had to make a full set of 28. :hehe:

Last edited:
The blank area at the end of Kettle falls has been annoying me for a while originally I thought it as a unloading area for the track near fence but added a gas station today.
The-Blank-area-at-the-end-of-Kettle-Falls-has-been-anoying-me-for-a-while%2C-so-added-gas-station.jpg

and at the other end Kelly Falls Fuel 7 Oil
Kelly-Falls-Fuel-%26-Oil.jpg

The gap you can see is for running the layot as a circle, with the link layer turned on a bridge appears.

Adding one more, Looked up the area on google, it was spose to be a river, mine looked like a creek, re-textured, think it looks lot better
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
Neat Tom!

And speaking of neat, Southern Pacific Standard Gauge and 36" Narrow Gauge meet at Wild Bill II

thanks to bendorsey, trainboi1, dap, and timothetoolman.

LF&B R.R. Cascade

Found a winter background I liked that seem to suit the area.
did not like the snow pines that I used on the mountains replaced them with various Winter hardwoods and added a few more to help to blend the background with the layot

What do you think, has to be better than no background at this point atleast?

Tom

Yes the background does look good but it kinda blends into the walls. Perhaps a different color wall?

Fross and Canyon Cut RR work train.

One of these days I've got to get off the mainline and show some of the many industries. All the billboard trees have been replaced finally.

:wave:

LF&BR - Kelly Falls

One last area that looked like I forgot it, found this side of land of the backboard got messed up when I regraded the line from Orient to helper siding, so had to move the line closer to edge of board

Anyway beyond the new gas station is this old abandoned building that did have the only fuel pumps in town, a tree has fell on it now but no one cares, old news papers that were stacked neatly are now every where and some of the old furniture and ice boxes been left in the rain ...

any comments?

Tom

Last edited:
I've been working on Baxter Pass on the Uintah, I made a lot new cliff textures and have been dropping in some shrubs and tress, will have just use textures in the distance as the number of trees needed would cook most cards ....
z5IxcZi.jpg

This is Moro Castle curve, the train below could never have pulled that number of cars , about 7 empties was the limit, but the model will pull a huge number, way past what the real thing would have managed. from memory I think it was restricted to 90 tons. !
ERXeUmX.jpg

View from above looking down the valley, a lot more vegetation has to be added yet
EOnuOs9.jpg

bridge 31a , a 7.5 grade ! Just below shale siding .
3842qRu.jpg
Shale siding ,grade here is between 6 and 7 percent
wrV9EYO.jpg

shale cliff near the top of the pass, grade here is b 7.5 percent . still a lot more work to do but i hope to finish a basic covering of the pass with textures and vegetation by the end of the week.

Charlies Garage upgrade to full gas station status, Not the Rain's VW 1958 Kombi MK1 ... my tribute to Startrek Voyager even though it happened in 1996 years later in the show.

Chariles-Garaage-now-has-full-gast-ststion-status%2C-Note-the-VW-1958-Combie-Mk1.jpg

Last edited:
baxter pass progress

ha, serves me right, i stated I'd have this section completed by now and I might have, but first of all I started modifying rocks, once that was done and a few new textures created I found that the route would not function on the mac, it worked on the PC, but just as I stated making good progress there, the power button failed. Fortunately I had done a backup on cdp then the new TANE update came along and that had to be sorted, but which fixed my problems on the mac,

So now the route is working on the Mac again and I have done some more, the PC is restored so work goes on , but there are times when nothing seems to be going well in this hobby .... I've just changed all the shrubs to TANE versions , which is why there's a difference in some shots to others , which will hopefully make things run smoother also, since I took these shots I have started adding grass /distant vegetation textures , which will make a huge difference to the surrounding hills and close up shots ...

gT0fm69.jpg

Railroad Canyon , number 21 and a ring in shay are steadying themselves for the climb up the pass
VoQnNno.jpg

looking back at Atchee as the excursion tackles the 5 percent grade
BoKnn8e.jpg

view of Moro Castle curve with basic landscaping in place
RLXZmc3.jpg

Number 51 poses for a snap as was the usual custom , just past Moro Castle ....

NehntKl.jpg

view downhill into the valley , still more shrubbery to be added on the opposite hill
WxXGqSb.jpg

Pencil 42s cliff spines sure do come in handy along with the blasted rock faces I've modded...
fktmKQo.jpg

That's it for now , still masses of work to do on this section but at least I can drive it now to check out track work...

Last edited:
What amazing work Dan.

I have been watching your progress and with each new set of shots your work just seems to get better and better. The area you are modeling is basically just desert and yet your recreation of it is a captivating thing of beauty to behold. Your cliff faces are just remarkable. I can't wait to see more shots.

BRAVO SIR!!

Paul :)

What amazing work Dan.

I have been watching your progress and with each new set of shots your work just seems to get better and better. The area you are modeling is basically just desert and yet your recreation of it is a captivating thing of beauty to behold. Your cliff faces are just remarkable. I can't wait to see more shots.

BRAVO SIR!!

Paul :)

Thanks guys, i've started using 2048 x 512 images for the cliff splines and that avoids as much repetition when they are strung out along a longer rock face, google earth is also a real help, a lot of these mountain faces are very green on one side where protected from the wind and then quite barren on the other side where they get the blast of hot and cold weather .
its is going to be a hard decision where to cut off actual vegetation and move to textures , as there are huge vistas in this pass, i don't want to overload this route because as it is a 2gb card is struggling to cope. 4gb gtx 780m works reasonably well. But thats a three year old non upgradable card, its going to want at least that to power it when finished, as although much of it is desert , it does have masses of sage over most of its 80 miles, not a lot of that vegetation is optimized for TANE and thats why I need a better computer with a better GPU. I'm in negotiations with a local firm to build me a gaming rig with an 8gb GTX 1080 to make sure I can finish the darned thing and they tell me they have lots of Trainz and truck simulator users who are wanting similar ..... we must all be a bit cracked :)

Back