Update Trainz Asset Database

Roy3b3

I seem to have read a thread on this subject somewhere, but I've not been able to trace it. I've been running TS12 since it was released without any problems, however just recently I'm experiencing a problem.
Each time I need to shut down my computer for various reasons and restart it,.... On opening TS12 as 'Administrator' the program automatically starts an "Update Trainz Asset Database" procedure which takes about 3 hours to complete. This means that I can't use the program at all until it completes what it is doing. Also two weeks ago, locally someone slammed into a power pole and the district lost electricity for about 10 minutes until it was restored - my computer went down, I restarted an the system operated as previously, but when I tried to open TS12 as normal, the same thing happened again,... an Asset Database update.
I once remember that there used to be a 'check-box' where you could choose to do this manually or automatically. Maybe it was an earlier version. Simply hitting the 'Cancel' button does not help at all, as the program just re-starts the Asset Database Update process again.
Can someone out there help an old Trainz-er with an 'Easy-fix' so I can get on and enjoy myself, as I used to? Thanks!
Roy3b3 - New Era Backer & Collector

I see you've met our good friend TADDaemon. Basically, Trainz Asset Database - being the dimwitted thing it is - needs to do a bunch of supposedly important things once you quit Trainz and this can take a minute or so. This is especially so if you have just downloaded, installed or modified a large number of assets. Interrupting this process by shutting down voluntarily or not might trigger a repair when you next fire up Trainz. Your best bet would be to open TS12 options from the splash screen and turn on "Show Database Process Windows" option, making sure that after you quit Trainz these windows have completely disappeared before turning off your computer.

Unfortunately there's nothing else you can do about this.

Thanks Nicky.

I've found the simplest way to solve this particular problem, is to never switch your computer off. Cheers.

Alternatively press Ctrl-Alt-Del to open Task Manager, select the Process tab and monitor Trainz Util and Taddaemon. Once these finish out of the list, it's generally safe to shut down your PC without damaging the database.

Back