How to Reskin?

EverTrainz

Electric Blue
(Not sure where to put this thread) So, I want to reskin a Class 45 that came with the SnC pack, in Trainz 12... I clone the original asset by trw1089, and I go into Open for Edit. I right click the clone and go to edit, edit in explorer. There are 7 folders/files.
BR45_alpha_numbers Folder
BR45_art Folder
BR45_body Folder (99% sure skin is here)
BR45_shadow Folder
Class45_headgode.gs
config.txt
thumbnail.jpg

I go into the body folder, and there are many files. A lot of them are in .texture format, so I try using Images2TGA on the main.texture file. When I try, it opens I2T and a small blank window opens. There is nothing but grey on the Images and alpha channel... I feel that I'm doing something wrong, obviously. Also, I try opening IM files with mesh viewer, but it says that it "is not a valid Win32 application."

It's not that simple I'm afraid, and I seem to remember that the S&C stuff is locked and so can't be reskinned without the original files. Also, you need to have .tga files, iirc.

I've been wanting to learn to reskin for a while but it's not as easy as it's made to sound.

First things first. You need a image editing software(i reccomend using gimp). What you have to do is when in that folder, go to the mesh body folder, then find something like map1.tga or map1_bump.tga then you right click and open with gimp. Reskinning is hard and im a beginer to. Wish it could be easier

Well too bad it can't. Try having to redraw every detail in to make a skin. :/ now you can use images2tga or whatever it's called. I use that for when I edit bump maps like the horizons. In explorer open up the file you wish to edit in your editing software. Do your editing and when you wish to export it save it as a TGA in the assets folder. Go into images2tga and find that save. Open it in images 2 tga. If you used multiple layer an alpha channel will appear on the right. Go ahead and remove it. Then go to save as and at the end of the file name put .tga .bmp or whatever file is being used and overwrite the unedited version.

What Rafter and bentrain14 writes works with most assets, however, as alex102 says anything that has been downloaded as DLC into TS12 is locked and the config.txt file contains the lines:

privileges
{
is-payware-content 1
}

This is N3V's way of stopping anybody from cloning, editing, reskinning any of their assets even for their own use. This was not always the case because earlier versions allowed you to make all these changes for personal use including all the S&C assets. You cannot even edit the routes or sessions that come with S&C or other DLC content.

Yes it can be done:

Class45010.jpg

Not perfect - there's a plane in the way where the old 'D' numbers go on the green version. Getting the yellow right on the nose was also a pain (as I recall). And don't ask about the blue lamp irons!

Not sure about all this DRM stuff - I got the loco years back from http://www.settleandcarlisle.co.uk/downloads/content/additional/files/126323_106_40_BR_Class_45_Split_Headcode_Green_Half_Yellow.cdp

If there are .texture files, these need to be converted to .tga files using PEV's Images2TGA application. Then fire up the GIMP and get to work!

But the big question remains: why didn't Tony simply issue a blue version of his loco? It's only a day's work. Maybe we'll never know.....

Paul

I too have the older unprotected version of the S&C and all the associated assets from the two S&C websites, which I can do whatever I want with. If, however, you only have the version that TS12 SP1 + automatically downloads and installs into Trainz then there is absolutely nothing you can do with it using the tools most people have available to them.

Which is why I've not 'upgraded'! I'll wait for TANE (though I know that's DRMed to death as well.)

Paul

The meshes and textures for DLC assets are encrypted and cannot be opened with any of my tools.

Back