Pennsylvania Railroad Diesel locomotives in the mid to late 1950's

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
I'm trying to figure out what types of Diesel locomotives were roaming around the Pennsylvania railroad from around 1953-1956. I know there were PA and E and F units, thats not where my curiosity lies, I'm talking freight engines, I know they had GP7's, but more specifically then that, what about off brand manufactures, such as ALCO and Fairbanks.

Baldwins

prr_5773.jpg

prr5753.jpg

Baldwin-Switcher-and-P70-Coaches-Baltimore_10_13_63_w.jpg

prr8972.jpg

PRRRT624.jpg

Also a handful of these Lima-Hamilton transfer engines that were very similar to the Baldwin units.
prr5683d.jpg

Do either one of you know if there were any ALCO's on the roster in the 1950's?

Whitepass, the link does not seem to be working.

By my estimation, the Pennsy had a little over 400 ALCos at the end of the 1950s. The Pennsy started buying ALCo diesels in about 1947 and didn't stop until the Penn Central merger. It looks like the PRR bought more ALCos in the 1950s than any other era. In that decade alone, they added S-3s, S-4s, T-6s, FA/B-1s, FA/B-2s, RS-1s, RS-2s, RS-3s, RS-11s, RSD-4s, RSD-7s, RSD-12s and RSD-15s to the fleet. Look at this source for the exact quantities and date of acquisition for each of these classes. Members of several of these classes (the S-4s, T-6s, RS-1s, RS-3s, RS-11s, RSD-5s and RSD-15s, specifically) managed to survive until the Conrail merger.

Cheers,
Ben

Back