Amtrak Revitalization Project - Large Pictures Ahead

opus722

Electric Love!
So a little over a year ago I embarked on a mission to build a new Amfleet from scratch. That was a terrible idea and will never be spoken of again. In the intervening months I continually tried out different models and eras stretching from USRA boxcars to AC4400CWs. 95% of that stuff is also junk that shall never see daylight away from my hard drive. Anyways, I've recently felt comfortable enough to start prepping something up to actually import into Trainz so I returned to Amtrak. Rather than continually adding stuff to the renders thread I will collect them all here. This is what I have so far. Click on the thumbnails to get the full size image.

Phase IVb Amfleet II

Phase II Superliner I Coach

As a fan of Phase 2 marked cars, I am thrilled to see the Superliner. I would really like nicer Amfleet cars, but will settle for what we get.

I'll eventually get around to doing all prototypical phases for each car. These are just the textures I had renders of handy. Amfleet IIs, however, debuted in Phase III. While I do have an Amfleet I, which would've carried Phase II markings, I'm focusing on long distance equipment first since the jeff944/PerRock Amfleet Is are much better than existing Superliner equipment.

Only thing I would like to offer, as a more of a watch out for this than a suggestion, when you start adding the windows, maybe just keep them dark tinted. Or, since I don't know what the real cause is, make sure you are aware of the sets of these that someone made in the past which have a tendency for the window glass to shift between clear and tinted, and bright colors. That's all. Other than that, carry on! Beautiful creations there.

Paul

If you're referring to the Superliners most commonly seen I think that error is due to the windows being made via an alpha map rather than being a part of the model.

Here's the Amfleet I, in Phase II, if anyone is curious. It's not being actively worked on at the moment so it has a few issues and non-prototypical components that haven't been adjusted from the Amfleet II.

One last thing too, what's the differences on an Amclub compared to the Amcafe on earlier Amfleet Is?

Last edited:
If you're referring to the Superliners most commonly seen I think that error is due to the windows being made via an alpha map rather than being a part of the model.

OH, thanks for this. What will you be doing for your windows/interiors? I'm more curious than ever now...

Paul

Nothing fancy. The actual cars have fairly tinted windows so I'll just have a low poly interior layout so that the inside isn't blank when you look in the windows. Don't really have plans for a cab/passenger view at this time.

This is for an SCL 10-6 sleeper, but it shows what you can expect the interiors for these to look like

Phase IVb looks so bland on Superliners.

After some discussion in the main renders thread I made the basic shape of an ex-ATSF El Capitan Hi-Level. Note, however, that this model represents Amtrak modifications for interoperability with Superliners. It seems these have more in common with the single level Budd cars than they do to any Superliner variant. Not planning to work on this much more for now, but who knows what the future holds? Pacific Parlour Cars prehaps?

Do you have plans to make these passenger-enabled? Or other animations e.g. opening doors?

The only plan I have right now is to make a car that can be hauled behind a locomotive. Nothing beyond that except maybe load enabling for weight realism.

Superliner trucks are underway finally with the help of some diagrams courtesy of PerRock.

Associated piece of non-Superliner equipment ex-ATSF baggage car.

Extra bit: I'm looking for consist details of c. 1981 - 1995 east coast trains. Basically pre-Viewliner heritage sleepers and lounge cars. Thanks!

Back