The "F" and "E" unit fan club.

My pictures from the "Streamliners at Spencer" event:

http://robcrawford.smugmug.com/Galleries/Streamliners-at-Spencer/

Great photos!
Here's another one of mine.
139453366001201.jpeg

This has nothing to do with Chinese manufacturing.

Bachmann always made generic trains. Their trains were, and probably still are, sold in train sets that are meant for children. They have a generic 2-6-0 steam locomotives with the wrong tender, and painted for roads that never had them. They have diesels with generic designs, that kind of look like but not really are the same as the ones you've seen. This isn't just in HO either; it was also did this in N-scale. Combine the generic looking trains with poor running and they are pretty crappy models no matter how much you try to fix 'em up they'll still be crappy models, and to bring them up to standards it'll cost more than what you've paid for the model in the first place.

They did venture into some prototype modeling, and at one point created the UAC Turbo in both the PennCentral and CN liveries in N-scale as well as the "new" Metroliner train set. I had the PennCentral UAC Turbo set, which was blue with a red stripe. This wasn a bad looking trains set, but it ran poorly due to being too light and would either stall or jump the tracks no matter how much weight I tried adding to it. The coaches were Talgo-style, just like the prototype, but the connectors were these big plastic hooks that were way to out-of-scale and put the coaches too far a part. These couplers also snapped off easily and couldn't be repaired, unlike most models which have simple hook-type couplers that can be replaced.

I was quite young when I got this set for a birthday, maybe 12 or so, and even then my impression of Bachmann trains was they are garbage. I was quite disappointed with my birthday gift which I wanted very badly after seeing the advertisement for it in a Model Railroader magazine.

http://rodneystrains.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/bachmann-n-scale-uac-turbo-train/

John

They have changed a little since then, they don't sell all their trains in sets, and why sell Soundtraxx technology to kids?
The 2-6-0's are genaric, I know that, but some of the Spectrum engines actually look like the real thing and the ATSF F7 at least has an extra "dummy" light.

I don't really buy Bachmann much anymore and I am thinking about switching to Athearn, as everyone I ask says Athearn is good. Well, everyone, that is,
except that all-trains-hobby-shop owner I mentioned.

Also, we are starting to get off topic.

Last post before I leave:

IS THAT AN ALCO IN THE BACKGROUND?

Sure is! Doyle Mccormick owns it. Former D&H #18, a PA-1!!! The only restored example in America. It resembles the engine he first rode on in the 40s-50s. It it Nickel Plate Road #190, but actually is a former ATSF unit, which was sold to D&H, then to NdeM, then finally to Doyle. It just finished a long restoration.

Back on topic...

Union_Pacific_E9A_956_Yellow_Gray_Streamliner_Scheme_Paragon2_Sound_DC_DCC_HO_Scale-by_Broadway_Limited_Imports.jpg
Broadway Limited Imports

2013-09-26-11-55-58-DSC08650.jpg
Athearn

sp_funit.jpg
Athearn again

emd1950.jpg
EMD!!!

Once again, these pictures are not mine, I found them on the internet.

Hi All
I have removed a few off-topic posts from this thread. Please stick to the topic at hand.

Considering the topic is fairly well defined (discussion of the EMD F/E units; and other variants on the design as well), and the popularity of these units, there should be plenty to stay on topic. Either that, or the thread will disappear of it's own accord.

Regards

This E-8's at the L&N Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Last I heard they were/have restored it to interior touring condition.
d70d87be76735562357eec901337d557.jpg

I don't know if this counts for the thread or not, but this is a former 1948 F-7 which in 1973 ATSF converted to a CF-7.
7151.1251686859.jpg

Today it's at the Kentucky Railway Museum and operates excursions.

:eek::udrool::eek::udrool:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THOSE?!!!!

THOSE ARE AWSOME!!!!

I hope those are freeware. (and that I can find an HO scale model of the same thing.)

Back on topic...
LN00078JULY.jpg

Here on October 25, 1969, a former Frisco E8 pauses at Woodland Junction, Illinois during running a trip for the Chicago Railroad Club to Danville.

Credit to fellow Idaho railfan NampasubdivisionAJV

UP E9's through the night on UP's 150th Birthday

Back