The "F" and "E" unit fan club.

9000DOLLAR

INACTIVE
Ok, I know this may sound like the wierdest thing I have ever said, but I really like F units and E units.
(my favorite train being the F7a)

I posted this thread as a discussion of all things E unit and F unit.

(also, can I just search online for pictures and post them here, or would I have to had taken the pictures myself to be able to post them here? Because I may want to post pictures of E and F units.)

I like both.
pdkoester_20140628_0015.jpg

Paul

Really nice picture. I really like the Southern Pacific and Western Pacific engines in that one. Especially since both of those railroads are now owned by Union Pacific, my favorite railroad.

(I still don't know the rules on posting pictures though, any advice?)

These really were classy locomotives! Take a look at these too from Australia:

http://www.ardp.net/gm44_02.jpg

For a number of years in the 1980s, our local transit authority ran "Easter Eggs" pulling Horizon Cars and converted RDCs (Budd Liners).

http://www.oocities.org/bostonmbta/mbta1986-06-08.jpg ---- At South Station

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5396509956_d24d851bc6.jpg ---- Pulling some GO Cars borrowed from Ontario.

and...

http://home.comcast.net/~railimages/mbta/1108.jpg ---- pulling some old RDCs from Haverhill towards Bradford. Note the different paint scheme and the different schemes for the RDCs... This belies their vintage... :)

John

These really were classy locomotives! Take a look at these too from Australia:

http://www.ardp.net/gm44_02.jpg

For a number of years in the 1980s, our local transit authority ran "Easter Eggs" pulling Horizon Cars and converted RDCs (Budd Liners).

http://www.oocities.org/bostonmbta/mbta1986-06-08.jpg ---- At South Station

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5396509956_d24d851bc6.jpg ---- Pulling some GO Cars borrowed from Ontario.

and...

http://home.comcast.net/~railimages/mbta/1108.jpg ---- pulling some old RDCs from Haverhill towards Bradford. Note the different paint scheme and the different schemes for the RDCs... This belies their vintage... :)

John

Cool Pictures. Now can someone here tell me what the rules are when it comes to posting pictures, I still don't know if I can just get pictures off the internet or if I have to take the pictures myself. I feel like I owe it to the other members that found and posted pictures on threads I started. (also, I sort of want to post F7 pictures too, and there are no F7's anywhere close by.)

Cool Pictures. Now can someone here tell me what the rules are when it comes to posting pictures, I still don't know if I can just get pictures off the internet or if I have to take the pictures myself. I feel like I owe it to the other members that found and posted pictures on threads I started. (also, I sort of want to post F7 pictures too, and there are no F7's anywhere close by.)

Thanks... These trains were awesome to see in real life. Sadly, all have been retired, sold, and or scrapped. This includes the depowered RDCs too. I remember when the Budd Liners were the trains to ride in..., and the old B&M had the largest fleet of them. The F10s or FP10s were rebuilds of E8s and F7s out of the Paducah Shops. They were once on the GM&O and the MBTA and other commuter lines bought them and had them converted for commuter use. It was a nice reprieve from the torch for many locomotives for quite a number of years.

The rules for posting images are for big images, you need to link to them such as I did. If it is something of your own, you have to host the image elsewhere and link back to it. For Trainz images, unless you are requesting support, they should go in the Screen Shots forum located under the Your Creations main topic. For Surveyor images for help laying track, switches, and what not, you can place images there. For the most part, don't place them in the General Trainz even though people do that. Basically, post where the topic makes sense rather than just clicking and posting like a lot of people do, not to name anyone in particular as that isn't needed.

If you want to post small images, you can use the upload image using the button on the editing bar for the forum. This will post a small thumbnail that becomes a screen size when opened. Again think before posting.

John

I love early E units, especially the Atlantic Coast Line E3 501 at the NCTM.
10465446_507979332664799_8745510746934460804_o.jpg

Also Southern E8 6900 is another one of my favorites
88f7e73725242240948bb65f55454b32.jpg

Always thought they had a cool look to them. Here is a picture I took of one of the Pennsy E8's in Spencer.

TJ

These are absolutely gorgeous. The E's and F's were classy no matter what colors were used. :)

John

This is not my picture, (I found it online) but it shows what seems to be 1 "E" unit and 2 "F" units.
railroadhistory112109a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture I found on the internet of that Ex-VIA, Black Widow repainted train.

275529189_f4adf8a5e2_z.jpg

Would that count as a "reskin"? :p

Once again, this picture isn't mine, I found it on the internet.

Also, this is a picture that I found online of a Bachmann F7 like the one I bought.

Bachmann-64304-H0-EMD-F7A-w-Sound-DCC-Southern-Pacific-Black-Widow-black-silver-orange-red.jpg

See the similarity? I am guessing that the Bachmann model is a model of that Ex-VIA "reskin".

Last edited:
Here's a picture I found on the internet of that Ex-VIA, Black Widow repainted train.

Also, this is a picture that I found online of a Bachmann F7 like the one I bought.

See the similarity? I am guessing that the Bachmann model is a model of that Ex-VIA "reskin".

Could be, but I doubt it. Bachmann made something that's all and bears no resemblance of a real loco somewhere. It's similar but not the same...

John

275529189_f4adf8a5e2_z.jpg

As we have said many times, Bachmann does not do prototype specific details, they make a generic train that kinda resembles some railroads and they just paint everything on it.

As we have said many times, Bachmann does not do prototype specific details, they make a generic train that kinda resembles some railroads and they just paint everything on it.

Not that I have anything against the Chinese, (they invinted pizza! [the Italians just perfected it.]), but maybe they (Bachmann) need to do some more research before making a product.

Back on topic...

I found this picture on the internet...

UP+E9.jpg

Also, does this thing count as an F-unit? Or does it not have any classification at all?
tr_cnw502.jpg

Once again, these pictures are not mine. I found them on the internet.

Last edited:
Not that I have anything against the Chinese, (they invinted pizza! [the Italians just perfected it.]), but maybe they (Bachmann) need to do some more research before making a product.

This has nothing to do with Chinese manufacturing.

Bachmann always made generic trains. Their trains were, and probably still are, sold in train sets that are meant for children. They have a generic 2-6-0 steam locomotives with the wrong tender, and painted for roads that never had them. They have diesels with generic designs, that kind of look like but not really are the same as the ones you've seen. This isn't just in HO either; it was also did this in N-scale. Combine the generic looking trains with poor running and they are pretty crappy models no matter how much you try to fix 'em up they'll still be crappy models, and to bring them up to standards it'll cost more than what you've paid for the model in the first place.

They did venture into some prototype modeling, and at one point created the UAC Turbo in both the PennCentral and CN liveries in N-scale as well as the "new" Metroliner train set. I had the PennCentral UAC Turbo set, which was blue with a red stripe. This wasn a bad looking trains set, but it ran poorly due to being too light and would either stall or jump the tracks no matter how much weight I tried adding to it. The coaches were Talgo-style, just like the prototype, but the connectors were these big plastic hooks that were way to out-of-scale and put the coaches too far a part. These couplers also snapped off easily and couldn't be repaired, unlike most models which have simple hook-type couplers that can be replaced.

I was quite young when I got this set for a birthday, maybe 12 or so, and even then my impression of Bachmann trains was they are garbage. I was quite disappointed with my birthday gift which I wanted very badly after seeing the advertisement for it in a Model Railroader magazine.

http://rodneystrains.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/bachmann-n-scale-uac-turbo-train/

John

Back