March Station (large images 1024 x 908)

fen_tiger

Building the Wisbech line
Just something I knocked up in 12 hours work spread over five days this week. My March Station based upon the prototype in Cambridgeshire, UK, as it was in real life back in 1985 before extensive track lifting was carried out by British Rail. The station lamps I'm using were cloned twice from the in-built BR Eastern station lamp; with one cloned version with a working lamp mode at night, and the second cloned version I did was a non-working version.

Last edited:
A bit more trackwork I have got round to doing lately. This part of the station was really awkward and extremely time-consuming building the curved back platforms and then aligning its through tracks (the sleeper ends are only 3mm away from the edge of the platform faces), as not only the curved platforms are at a difficult tight angle (as is the real-life counterpart station) leading into the junction, but also the complicated double-slip station crossovers themselves had to align exactly into position aligned with all platforms with not even 1mm either side to play with. I used various fixed track sections to piece together sections of track that eventually makes up the nuisance junction.

* Due to time constraints, progress is very slow going, although so far (July 3rd) half of March East Yards are now in place along with its complicated lead-in ladder points and its various associated loco headshunts.

Last edited:
Hi Rick

Many thanks indeed for your kind comments and support. I'm constantly back and forth on Google Distance Maps (around March Station and yards here in Cambridgeshire), and also my two local railway books to try and get all my track matched and measured up into position down to the last inch. I might post track-work comparison images on here for anyone to see if I have missed anything I have not noticed meself.

Andy.

Matching images of March East Yards from Google Street View and Trainz 2012 (large images 1024 x918)

* Progress is slow as I am busy away from the computer most days now.

Last edited:
Looking good but I suggest you look at Jayhollands footbridge kit to replace the two separate bridges and the hand point levers in the above shot need to be replaced by "Points" or a point motor. Heres a couple of my shots from 1980, a bit crap but weather was very bad.

31173 at March 12.1.80 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

March Station 31238 12.1.80 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

It's interesting that on the Google Earth shot, even though the track is very recently renewed they have kept that little headshunt next to the level crossing, complete with the original buffers.

Last edited:
March East Yards so far, for anyone wanting to compare them on Google Street View to see if I have managed to replicate the real yards down to the last metre.

* Work is still on-going to fix the back three sidings and finish off this section of main line. No signals or point motors have been installed at this time.

Last edited:
Back