Screenshot of The Week: June 22 to June 29 2014 (Desert)

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Greetings.

This week's topic is brought to you by Chris and it is Desert. A desert can be called a deserted place, but so can an industrial back alley in the heart of a city. It's probably not wise to desert your train in either of these places to go grab a dessert. Show us your most creative interpretation of this week's theme! Please send your theme suggestions for subsequent competitions via email or Skype by clicking on the little icons below my username.

One screenshot allowed per entrant. Screenshots must adhere to the theme and the Trainz Forum Code of Conduct.

Submission closes on June 29 at 12:00 noon UTC/GMT/Zulu time.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

I'm hoping I can convince myself to stop messing about with trainz and take some time to enjoy the outdoors. I'm having a little fun with the contest, so I'm giving it another go. I took this shot a couple of weeks after I started my route over. I hope it counts as deserted (deserted buildings). If not, sorry! I have gone back since this shot and added some texture ballast and such. Good luck all, surely I can allow myself a few minutes to have a look at the site and see your shots!

Cheers .... Rick

EDIT NOTE; See post 3 and 4 below. Sorry about that! Looks about the same, eh, Peter? to see the first pic I posted see post #872 in The Canadian Thread in the Screenshots section.

Cheers again....Rick

rickf77_20140622_0000.jpg~original

Last edited:
Rick,

> I hope it counts as deserted (deserted buildings).

I believe Nicholas made it clear that "deserted place" and "industrial back alleys" are OK (thanks Nicholas for ensuring, as always we keep an open mind).

> I have gone back since this shot and added some texture ballast and such.

As far as I know you may replace your own shot at any time (using "edit post") up until voting commences. Keeping the angle the same is probably less confusing, but I don't believe anything stops you doing "something completely different" (shades of Monty Python) either. Is that correct Nicholas? If you've added more detail to your route, it might be best for you to swap the existing shot for a new one, especially as your mouse cursor had strayed over the centre of the shot and left a "Hold Crtl + right click". I've done that loads of time and rejected the screenshot as spoiled.

Good luck.

Peter.

Good Heavens, why didn't I notice that! Thanks Peter. I have seen that "Hold Crtl + right click" in other shots I took.... all of them on that day. I WILL try to replace it, in a few minutes. Not sure I will be able to, but I'll give it a go! Gosh fellas, sorry for mucking things up before the contest even got rolling! If I can't fix it, it'll have to do and I will have learned to be more careful in the future. Thanks again Peter, after this I really have to get outdoors before the snow starts flying again!

Cheers....Rick

That is a very nice route you have going there Rick, I like the picture very much.

Hi Peter and anyone else who may read this; as long as submissions are generally within basic guidelines, it's all good to go. When choosing from suggested themes, I try to pick those that are interesting, have not been recently done and broad-based so as not to leave anyone on the sidelines. The original suggestion for this week was "Desert Shots", which is simple and straightforward, but I suspect would have probably left out most of our European and Eastern Seaboard users. Playing with words also allows for more creativity in interpreting the topic, which is a good thing.

Don't worry too much about swapping shots or entry restrictions. SSoTW only receives a relatively small amount of attention and participation so far, we don't want to hurt that by imposing any more finicky rules than is necessary. ;)

Cheerio,
Nicholas

6599ad34b60fbc9091a26e242bb535b1.jpg

In the desert, an ATSF grainer and an SP power move are at a standstill, after being deserted by the crews, next to a deserted automobile...

The GP38 was moving!

Last edited:
Legends tell of a train in the Alkali Flats that travels where no rail has ever been laid. No one knows why it thunders across the flats or, for that matter, why it even exists. It never stops as the ghostly steamer travels across the flats. Except for one time when it stopped to save a dying prospector heading for Dos Cabezos. This, is the Legend of the Arizona Ghost Train.

67dfaac4-2fc9-4670-8cc0-10961169a09d.jpg

Sorry about the little story before the picture. I should mention that this is based on an actual legend that I read about in Tony Reavy's 1998 book "Ghost Train! American Railroad Ghost Legends." I definitely recommend it, but if you want to just read the Arizona Ghost Train legend, you can find it here: http://fairweatherlewis.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/saved-by-a-ghost-train/

Keeping with the Desert Theme, a beta route of which the creator hates. Can anyone see a problem with the shot?
:p
817TAYLOR_20140623_0000_zps3478c427.jpg

No, the Santa Fe units are ok. My guess would be the UP locos in the back.
My entry, a nighttime meet way out in the desert.

Looking good fellas; I think we have shown just about all the different meanings of the word "desert". I think our friend Epo may have covered all the meanings! Why, I'm sure someone IS having dessert in one of those lonely looking trailers!

Keep them coming...cheers...Rick

Back