Where am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phimat

Just noticed that I now reside in Iran. Unusually fine weather here suggests that this might be so, but I can't see any minarets. Pity though, I could have caught up on my Zoroastrian studies...

Can the person at 'everfail who made this change please revert it. And can someone tell him to catch on to himself.

Can the person at 'everfail who made this change please revert it....

Why don't you just revert it yourself?.....You're smart enough to know for sure who changed it so you should be able to figure out how to change it back....nicky9499 even gave you a hint....

He's smart enough, I think his post was made to show dismay to the community that this could even happen. A ticket may answer the question.

Good idea who did it and why - petty spite. Dismayed more by the fact that this could happen - indicating the poor discipline in 'everfail management - than that it did happen (actually some schadenfreude here, to be honest).

btw (wct?) = (who changed this?). This will remain until reverted by the culprit.

Where were you from originally ?

Whoever changed it may not be able to remember what location to enter into your profile (which you can do yourself, and nobody else should be able to do it for you).

I know this sort of thing can happen. I think within a couple of months after joining, somehow I went from train spotter (whatever the default is) to trainz veteran. I thought someone gave me a promotion!

Cheers....Rick

So you were drunk one night and thought it was funny to change your location and now you cant remember.
Or you left your PC on and your brother/sister/friend/husband/wife considered it funny to change your location.

And now you are blaming N3V? Because you think they really do not have anything better to do?

Is it really so much more likely that someone from N3V did it than any of the other above scenario's?

Good Morning Phimat
I have checked into this, and none of our team have changed the location setting in your forum profile, nor would we do so or have any reason to do so. Either you have accidentally changed this whilst updating other information, or someone else has accessed your account and changed the location in your profile.

I would recommend that you change your password just in case someone has accessed your account without your permission.

You can change the location in your profile back to your desired location by clicking on 'settings' on the top toolbar, and then click on 'Edit Profile' on the left hand list. You can then enter your desired location into the 'location' box, then click on 'save changes'.

Regards

Good Morning Phimat
I have checked into this, and none of our team have changed the location setting in your forum profile, nor would we do so or have any reason to do so. Either you have accidentally changed this whilst updating other information, or someone else has accessed your account and changed the location in your profile.

I would recommend that you change your password just in case someone has accessed your account without your permission.

You can change the location in your profile back to your desired location by clicking on 'settings' on the top toolbar, and then click on 'Edit Profile' on the left hand list. You can then enter your desired location into the 'location' box, then click on 'save changes'.

Regards

How casual you are about this. I still claim that the change was made from within 'everfail itself and that it was malicious. That someone within 'everfail could do this says alot about security within the company. Can any member of the staff access all our personal information on a whim?

Once again, I ask that the person who changed the location revert it. I don't intend doing it.

Seeing as none of the rest of us have any method of deciding who is telling the truth here, wouldn't this be best sorted out in private?

I think ZecMurphy gave a reasonable answer and certainly isn't some laid back reply. The matter can be obviously sorted without a serious protraction of a routine matter.

Can any member of the staff access all our personal information on a whim?

No. Some of the support staff and admin staff have admin rights to view profiles, but in checking the admin controls, it is actually impossible for us to change a user's Location.

Furthermore, I can't figure out how anyone can actually get the location "Iran(wct)" at all. Your user profile says Country = Iran and the country field is not editable (you can only choose from a dropdown list). You could manually add a State as (wct) but that would then show as Iran,(wct) with a comma automatically inserted. So to have Iran(wct) without a comma is puzzling and seemingly impossible. Even adding the State as Iran(wct) would show as ,
Iran(wct). And what on earth is (wct) anyway?).

Since something very strange is happening with your account for this to happen, I will check how this is possible with our web team on Monday.

Please be assured that while you love to hate us, we try our best to look after our customers (since to not do so makes no commercial sense at all).

No. Some of the support staff and admin staff have admin rights to view profiles, but in checking the admin controls, it is actually impossible for us to change a user's Location.

Furthermore, I can't figure out how anyone can actually get the location "Iran(wct)" at all. Your user profile says Country = Iran and the country field is not editable (you can only choose from a dropdown list). You could manually add a State as (wct) but that would then show as Iran,(wct) with a comma automatically inserted. So to have Iran(wct) without a comma is puzzling and seemingly impossible. Even adding the State as Iran(wct) would show as ,
Iran(wct). And what on earth is (wct) anyway?).

Since something very strange is happening with your account for this to happen, I will check how this is possible with our web team on Monday.

Please be assured that while you love to hate us, we try our best to look after our customers (since to not do so makes no commercial sense at all).

Actually, that location field is editable. Someone changed my original location to "Iran", and I added "(wct?)" (= "who changed this?" - as explained previously) in order to draw attention to the change. I assume the choice of location was deliberate and malicious, given its political and security sensitivity.

It's not likely that anyone would take the trouble to steal my password (not easily cracked by an amateur) simply to change location. I can only conclude that someone at 'everfail did it. I'm not too concerned about why this was done, just that 1) the change is reverted and 2) it should not be allowed happen again - more generally, that access to members' private information be better controlled.

No need to check with the web team Tony. Under Edit Profile, the location field is actually a text box instead of a drop-down list. Which is probably why some members can enter funny stuff like "Bottom Of The World", "Why Do You Care?", or their full address and telephone number if we're talking about the not-so-bright ones.

Phimat, whatever happened may be an error, glitch or accident but I'm pretty sure it isn't intentional or malicious. You can continue insisting it is and leave your location at WCT in which case you're even safer since nobody knows where you live now. No need to get up in arms over something so trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back