Merging Routes

WCL

Canadian National
Is there a way to merge a route that will not make the game crash??? I have tried all sorts of ways to merge a route to another and they are both custom made and not built in

Thanks for any help

:wave:

What I heard so far is people have a lot less problems merging routes in TS12 with SP1 than they used to have in build 49922.

So... What build are you on?

What I heard so far is people have a lot less problems merging routes in TS12 with SP1 than they used to have in build 49922.

So... What build are you on?

I got TS12 with 49922 without the SP1

I never had an issue merging me route together since recently....So maybe I thought I was doing something wrong???

Last edited:
You can merge in pre-SP1 if you keep the sections small with little detail. If the routes are too large, the program will crash. If the routes has too much detail and assets, even if they are small, it's a 50-50 chance of dropping to the desktop. After SP1, merging works great.

Well well,
never thought of trying a ts12 to load into an older 06 version merge and run again in 12... cannot be.

I suggest if one really wants to merge and go into the dark ages of surprises left and right hidden and appearing much later if not crash right away (size) you understand first what major bugs Trainz carries over the many years few people talk about.

Merge route like texture replace asset and some other fine commands have some side effects one not wants, hard to trace not able to repair afterwards so use with care.

check the size of the route you want to merge and if you need to delete some or more boards which is obvious you need to clean up first ALL spline and spline beased objects in all boards you intent to delete before merging.
btw what size might work is a trial and error thing so you have to figure out what you are willing to try until it works.

I recently merged some bigger sections (10 miles & 7 miles) of pretty detailed route together. Deleting all rollingstock before attempting to merge usually works.
At least it doenst crash that often.... If it works one out of five times, still worth the attempt. :p Though the recent 3 merges worked flawless here. *knocking on head/wood*
I´m also on build 49922.

Morning John see you posted same time I did.
Be aware John even after SP1 splines cause hidden trouble and mess up your route sooner than later.
No crash not means it is fine eg smooth spline, straighten spline height of track objects changed and is hoovering or flying in space.
Also track objects vanish or move to the next spline node nearby or far away depending on the spline length etc etc..
I can write i book nobody wants to read.

I have to stop the army here is doing cyber patrol.:eek:

I suggest wait a few month and see what Tane brings maybe it might solve most of our legacy trouble and worth the wait.

Roy

Wow....Thank you for all the replies....Will try and bring it down to a few boards instead of 50 and see what happens...I am adding the 50 to a 200+ board so will try and break up the 50 one and see if that works....

Thank you again to all that has replied :Y:

Hi,

I have no trouble merging routes but is there anyway of bringing along the trains and rolling stock with it? Rather then having the merge process only accepting the merging route.

Thanks

Morning John see you posted same time I did.
Be aware John even after SP1 splines cause hidden trouble and mess up your route sooner than later.
No crash not means it is fine eg smooth spline, straighten spline height of track objects changed and is hoovering or flying in space.
Also track objects vanish or move to the next spline node nearby or far away depending on the spline length etc etc..
I can write i book nobody wants to read.

I have to stop the army here is doing cyber patrol.:eek:

Roy,

Oh boy! Don't let the army take your Trainzing computer away!!!

There have been plenty of "goodies" in the past that still seem to crop up it seems. This I think is typical of code that has been rehashed and patched so stuff breaks when something else gets fixed. Maybe I was lucky with the spaghetti splines in TS12 SP1. The only time I saw that was in TRS2010 prior to SP1. When I first attempted to merge, there was a big not of splines in the middle and ends that went off to Saturn, or maybe Pluto! It was like someone had tried to unspool some brass music wire, but didn't clamp it afterwards.

On a more somber note... I got word that one of your former Computer Vision coworkers passed away. Donald Fogg died a couple of weeks ago. He was 83 and passed from liver cancer. He and his wife lived around the corner from me and she taught piano lessons to my sisters. Very good people and really great neighbors.

John

Is there a way to merge a route that will not make the game crash??? I have tried all sorts of ways to merge a route to another and they are both custom made and not built in

Maybe this will help you. As i see you have build 49922, merge work only in build 61388 and it work without problems.

TS12 build 49922 has working function 'Delete missing dependencies' but 'Merge' function don't work, TS12 build 61388 has working 'Merge' function, but 'Delete missing dependencies' don't work.

As said, ts12 needs sp1 to merge successfully - we had to wait a year for that fix. Two major probs (at least) arise on the merged portion. Stations disconnected from track - not sure if all stations affected, but worthwhile checking all. More tedious is the reduction of elevation to flat along the board joins, which can take hours to correct. The latter seems a pretty weird fault to arise from simply restoring an operation that had worked fairly well in earlier vers of Tr.

As said, ts12 needs sp1 to merge successfully - we had to wait a year for that fix. Two major probs (at least) arise on the merged portion. Stations disconnected from track - not sure if all stations affected, but worthwhile checking all. More tedious is the reduction of elevation to flat along the board joins, which can take hours to correct. The latter seems a pretty weird fault to arise from simply restoring an operation that had worked fairly well in earlier vers of Tr.

I haven't seen the station thing so what stations are you using that have this issue? The VSR-series stations work fine.

Still in Iraq...???

John

I haven't seen the station thing so what stations are you using that have this issue? The VSR-series stations work fine.

Still in Iraq...???

John

They may well be older stations, the kind that came complete with a track section. But it's not a major issue compared with the board join problem, where it can be a pain restoring varying elevation - hills and the like.

Weather still unusually good here, so I must be (just as well that we're now the US's New Best Friend).

They may well be older stations, the kind that came complete with a track section. But it's not a major issue compared with the board join problem, where it can be a pain restoring varying elevation - hills and the like.

Weather still unusually good here, so I must be (just as well that we're now the US's New Best Friend).

There are so many of those stations it's hard probably to update them to the newer and better standards. I still use the big Stratford (spelling) Station from Austin Hockey. This nice looking station tends to have intermittent script problems where the trains don't always stop and load passengers. Instead the trains will stop beyond the station and open the doors before continuing.

Enjoy the nice weather. This is one of the best weeks we've had so far. :)

The old board joins is still a problem. There's nothing like finding giant rifts cutting across great swaths of landscape. I noticed that they don't appear right away, but will show up much later after working on the route.

John

There are so many of those stations it's hard probably to update them to the newer and better standards. I still use the big Stratford (spelling) Station from Austin Hockey. This nice looking station tends to have intermittent script problems where the trains don't always stop and load passengers. Instead the trains will stop beyond the station and open the doors before continuing.

Enjoy the nice weather. This is one of the best weeks we've had so far. :)

The old board joins is still a problem. There's nothing like finding giant rifts cutting across great swaths of landscape. I noticed that they don't appear right away, but will show up much later after working on the route.

John

I've given up on the not-stopping-in-the-station prob and just use trackmarks (almost all the time now). The board join prob has stopped me working with TS12 - the length of time it took to fix the merge issue kept me away from it anyway. There are definite advances with TS12, esp graphics (tho' the laminated sound is not accurate), but o/wise updated 2010 is good enough for my purposes.

Let's see what TANE brings us; hopefully no serious gaffes that will spoil its entry into our lives...

Back