Real or Fictional in Trainz

Its interesting how much trainz officers you can do almost anything with the track and make some sick roller costers or some route that is insanely unreal like my dragons pass route for exple' There are also model trains that are fictional name a few Turbo Train tyco made in the 70s, the silver streak also done by tyco and there Canadiana set at my club we are building a fictional layout

I like it to look real. At this time I am only interested in trying to make my route look that way. Other than looking at everyone's screenshots, I never see peoples' routes. I have no problem with fictional routes, road names, etc. If it's well done, a fictional route can be just as good as a prototypical route. I'm not talking about a cartoon route. With all the gear creators (free & pay) have blessed us with, why not make the most realistic looking routes we are capable of? In a fictional route, I think all the scenery and track work should look real and the rolling stock should be the best models you can get with whatever great looking fictional skin you or someone else can produce.

Cheers....Rick

There's quite a few UK logos missing from railworks if I recall. Isn't the nationalized BR double arrow logo not even present? That seems like something related to the logo and typeface though I guess since they're releasing them with the correct liveries without logos whereas the North American ones aren't allowing anything. IP law is a bizarre mistress sometimes and it varies from country to country. In the USA it seems like companies will trademark everything down to the pitch their CEOs farts resonate on whereas other countries it's more of a "as long as proper credit is given to the owner it's cool" deal.

Err, on talk of bronies, ​what about Code Lyoko scenery?
My presence was requested wazzup?

I myself am a Fictional type of guy. If you already noticed, I am a brony. Just remember, I ain't taking any critics from people who decide to insult me on what i like. I know bit off topic... I will keep the rest of introduction to the introduction thread that I may or may not post until later.

Err, on talk of bronies, ​what about Code Lyoko scenery?
nothing wrong with horses,
don__t_worry____you__ll_get_better____by_dutch_brony-d4gu4pj.jpg

If "bronies" means....a bro who plays with My Little Ponies, then I'm guilty! I was a single parent and my daughter loved those things. I have to admit to brushing their manes and tails. I should have bought her a train set! I have nothing against horses. I just have no need for pink and blue ones!

Cheers....Rick

Well, speak of the devil...just got a "Happy father's day" from the daughter and grand daughter. The same to all you Trainz dads!

Last edited:
jcitron_20140412_0000.jpgjcitron_20140412_0001.jpgjcitron_20140412_0003.jpg jcitron_20140419_0000.jpgjcitron_20140419_0003.jpgjcitron_20140522_0008.jpgjcitron_20140522_0014.jpgjcitron_20140522_0015.jpgjcitron_20140522_0018.jpgjcitron_20140522_0025.jpg

These are pictures from my Cape Ann Transit.

I agree with much that has been said here. There is nothing like having a fictional world where we can model what we want, in what era we want. There is nothing wrong with people using Thomas stuff if they want, it's their game and their world. If however, someone has posted a thread pertaining to a realistic-looking fictional route, then the pictures that follow should be the same and not some cartoonish item.

My routes are fictional, and as many know here are backed by a backstory of some kind. In a couple of cases, the story is quite detailed as I thought about the operations and interaction with the outside world. This helps set the tone, era, and consistency for the route and helps me choose the buildings and other assets to suit. It can be quite a challenge selecting the proper buildings and keeping things consistent.

Another aspect of the fictional route building, which I mentioned some time ago, is taking a DEM and putting in track where no other track has been placed before. Currently I'm working on a greater Gloucester Mass route for which I give George Fisher credit for inspiring me with his own similar route. In my route, however, I have expanded the track out to Annisquam via Riverside, Rivers Edge, Riverdale, and Riverdale Station with branches to Wheeler Point and Annisquam. This undertaking means placing track where there either hasn't been track in 100-plus years, as there used to be old quarry railroads in North Gloucester, or surveying at eyelevel to choose a properly graded line. In my fictional world, this line has been electrified and works as a commuter railroad run by Cape Ann Transit which is a real company that provides buses and shuttle service out on the North Shore and Cape Ann. One of the challenges is keeping the landscape true, by which I mean altering the terrain minimally, and keeping the roads where they are on the map. In some cases I've had to move roads a bit, or eliminate them due to being too close to the track. In the real world this area is jam packed with houses and tight roads, so this aspect is quite a challenge in its self.

John

also in the real railroading on a HO model its no different but you are allowed to use them I'm going look into this a bit deeper. I like making Fictional models because I own the logos.

This is a very interesting topic

Here what I got back for info form are club members:

"I guess logo use falls under trademark, not copyright law, and that the sort of personal use represented by modelling is generally OK. However, if you want to incorporate it on something commercial -- ie, selling a product to others -- it would be prudent to checkout the licensing issues first"

Trainz is a wide open program. It can and should encompass all users, whether strictly prototypical, freelanced, cartoon, or toy (or even aircraft ;-) )
Please don't denigrate the work of others whose interests don't align with your own.

Curtis

There is nothing wrong with fictional or fantasy models in trainz.

The things wrong related to this topic are the constant moaning about fictional and fantasy stuff (both in favor and against) or the posting of fantasy stuff in topics that are clearly not about it. Keep things in separate topics (like currently also is the case with the airplanes and to a less extend the Marsz stuff) and everything should be fine.

Last edited:
Thankyou for that information dragonharh. That would make sense, although trademarks and copyright are quite often seen together alongside patents.

I'm interested to see what N3V's opinion on this topic is.

Shane

Variety is what makes this such a great thing. Besides, nobody going to force you to use the stuff you don't want to...

pinkie_pie_launcher.jpg

Thankyou for that information dragonharh. That would make sense, although trademarks and copyright are quite often seen together alongside patents.

I'm interested to see what N3V's opinion on this topic is.

Shane

your welcome Shane I feel the same as well although I didn't bring it up entell now just didn't know how to ask the right questions with insulting anyone.

I'm working on My DAR project that uses models that no longer exist its hard to make it look real.

@ pdkoester & RuvanJ you gentlemen please stop posting throws annoying screens Thanks guys.

Excuse me, but WHAT DO TOYS FOR 5-YEAR OLD GIRLS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH TRAINZ?!
It's off topic. (I already got punished for off-topic posts with some sort of 30-point-infraction-thing by a moderator, so be careful.)

Excuse me, but WHAT DO TOYS FOR 5-YEAR OLD GIRLS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH TRAINZ?!
It's off topic. (I already got punished for off-topic posts with some sort of 30-point-infraction-thing by a moderator, so be careful.)
Please refrain from shouting and stirring the pot, I think it would be best to edit your post so there is no further escalation between the opposing parties.

Fantasy = MLP, Code Lyoko, Thomas and Friends, Bob the Builder, Barney, etc, etc. That's what this post is about 9000DOLLER. It's about why fantasy is usually not accepted in trainz.

Fantasy = MLP, Code Lyoko, Thomas and Friends, Bob the Builder, Barney, etc, etc. That's what this post is about 9000DOLLER. It's about why fantasy is usually not accepted in trainz.
Thank you for clarifying what the others do not understand. You got very well.

Back