Updating operating System

DESDICHATO

Guys,

I'm just about to update my computer and am copying my TS-12 (61388) onto a 100Gb partition on a HDD that will be going into this updated Windows 8.1 computer, and I'm just after feedback as to whether other people have had problems with this type of transfer????

Thanks

P

If you are just putting TS12 on the partition it should be big enough, just. I did a similar thing a few years ago when updating from XP to Win7 and had no problems but made the Trainz partition 150Gb. Other programs i.e. MS office, Photoshop and a few others had to be reinstalled as did all my utilities.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
No problems with the method of transfer, but a 100Gb partition seems kind of small unless you are good at keeping your Trainz installation lean and mean. I think my smallest installation is about 80Gb, and you definitely want to keep quite a bit of free space, 10-20Gb at least.

Three important things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you've updated your DirectX files on the new machine before running Trainz, as Windows Update will not do this for you, and Trainz 12 requires at least the February 2010 version.
2. Transferring it in that way means that you will lose the file associations for the Download (Helper) links, and .cdp/.cdp2/.cmpa files. If you do not double-click/use these, it shouldn't cause you any problems.
3. You will need to run Trainz as administrator on the new machine.

Shane

I changed from Win 7 to Win 8 and then 8.1 a couple of months back. My Trainz installations and dev stuff were on different drives than the O/S so there were zero problems with Trainz. My TS12 install (with DLC) is about 52GB but I don't download that much.

Call me paranoid if you like but I would back up at least twice and verify the backups look OK.

Back