epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
Hello Trainzers.

I have another question for y'all. I am using a rather low spec PC:

2 AMD E1's CPU's, 1 GHz each.
AMD Radeon HD Graphics
Windows 8.1 X64
4 GB RAM, 3.45 GB usable

So yeah, probably right at the minimum specs for TS10.

In some places, the game runs rather smoothly, maybe a couple hiccups here and there, but nothing serious. However, if I'm running higher detail trains (like JR stuff) on a larger or more complex route, the performance starts to suffer. I can drop from 25-30 FPS down to about 5-10 (or less) FPS rather quickly, making the game difficult to enjoy.

My question: How can I increase the performance of the game, make the FPS more consistent, and reduce the stutters and hiccups, all without modifying the hardware of the PC?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Close all background pages (Facebook, Youtube, Google Maps etc in particular. These slow my laptop right down)
Defrag your Hard Drive.
Lower your settings on Trainz.

I've got 2010 running on a fairly low-spec laptop rather well :)

Jack

Move or copy the program away from the X86. No need to re-install, just copy and paste. Install it anywhere. I gain a little because in 32Bit you are restricted to a lower usage of RAM. I know that our program is 32bit now, but anyhow you gain a little because away from X86, Windows imposes no restrictions on RAM use. Try it..

Use the performance sliders and choose your content carefully. Repeat one wagon rather than make them all different, same with scenery objects. Each different asset has a 500 poly equivalent overhead so watch out for stations and urban areas. Avoid high poly assets that probably means the JR stuff.

Cheerio John

Oh there is the classic, try DirectX rather than OpenGL especially with AMD graphics, OpenGL is the default but DirectX often gives better frame rates.

Cheerio John

Oh there is the classic, try DirectX rather than OpenGL especially with AMD graphics, OpenGL is the default but DirectX often gives better frame rates.

Cheerio John

I always use DirectX. I've had history of the game not working at all under OpenGL.

I find that TrainzChat is much easier to read under OpenGL, and the game in general loads much faster, but as soon as I place an object on a baseboard it becomes a powerpoint presentation. DirectX all the way :)

Back