Train Town - FREE 7 day beta on Android, get it now!

n3vgames

Administrator
post-1.jpg

If you have an android device (tablet or phone) feel free to download the latest version of Train Town and give it a try: beta-build-latest-public.apk (version 0.9)

Last edited:
What happens after 7 days? I'm not going to install something that will just stop working at some point.

So everyone got this? There I was thinking I was special for about 4 seconds ;).
Sorry, no android; will see if I can find someone who has and is interested.
I'm not going to install something that will just stop working at some point.
You mean like with just about every piece of software? :p :hehe: Be happy that you got a estimate about it this time ;).

Full of hope when I installed it, within 2 minutes it was asking me for money to be able to choose buildings to place on the track, definitely NOT for children and what a scam, try out a beta indeed. Not worth the effort of downloading, in-app purchases already in the game!

Very disappointed,
Dave

Full of hope when I installed it, within 2 minutes it was asking me for money to be able to choose buildings to place on the track, definitely NOT for children and what a scam, try out a beta indeed. Not worth the effort of downloading, in-app purchases already in the game!

Very disappointed,
Dave

To be fair to N3V, most Android (and even IOS and Facebook developers) include in-app purchases as a way of financing the product.

Shane

Shane,

I agree, that may be so, but not in the Beta! Generally there is a warning, particularly when the product is aimed at children.

That is my .02 cents worth, I will leave it at that.

Regards,

Dave

You mean like with just about every piece of software? :p :hehe: Be happy that you got a estimate about it this time ;).

You mean like hardly any consumer software, until the past few years!

Meh, judging by the early reviews, it's not worth it anyway, lol. Plus, I'd be using the wifey's phone, and getting that thing away from her is a game all by itself! :)

Meh, judging by the early reviews, it's not worth it anyway
Always looking on the bright side of things aren't you ;)

As the introduction stated, this product isn't aimed at our core Trainz Simulator audience. One review says "It would definitely be for kids" which is exactly who the product is aimed at (so we take that as a positive rather than negative).

The other talks about in-app purchases like they are the devil. We haven't decided on the final business model, but at some point money needs to change hands to pay for the product. On 90% of mobile products these days, that money changes hands after the product is installed.

The interesting thing is that people walk into a shop and there are hundreds (or thousands) of items for sale. Yet I have never once heard anyone say "I'm outta here - they want me to buy all this stuff - it would cost me thousands to buy everything and all I wanted was a chocolate bar."

With mobile products, you get to walk into the shop (download the game) and even eat chocolate (play the base game) for as long as you like. If you want anything other than chocolate, you have to pay. No-one accuses a shop keeper of being a thief for selling more than one item in his store.

I don't know, something in me just prefers paying for the base game and then knowing I won't have to pay anything else afterwards.

Always looking on the bright side of things aren't you ;)

As the introduction stated, this product isn't aimed at our core Trainz Simulator audience. One review says "It would definitely be for kids" which is exactly who the product is aimed at (so we take that as a positive rather than negative).

Sorry, didn't mean to be a pain. It's a non-starter for me because, as I'm sure you know all-too-well from the DRM threads, I'm not interested in software or content that can be disabled or that can disable itself at some point, whatever the reason or cause.

The other talks about in-app purchases like they are the devil. We haven't decided on the final business model, but at some point money needs to change hands to pay for the product. On 90% of mobile products these days, that money changes hands after the product is installed.

The interesting thing is that people walk into a shop and there are hundreds (or thousands) of items for sale. Yet I have never once heard anyone say "I'm outta here - they want me to buy all this stuff - it would cost me thousands to buy everything and all I wanted was a chocolate bar."

With mobile products, you get to walk into the shop (download the game) and even eat chocolate (play the base game) for as long as you like. If you want anything other than chocolate, you have to pay. No-one accuses a shop keeper of being a thief for selling more than one item in his store.

Not a great analogy, but I don't mind the monetization. Frankly, anyone dumb enough to give a kid a cellphone which allows them to install paid content, in-game widgets, etc., or who fails to properly supervise them, deserves whatever happens. You wouldn't give your kid your credit card or a checkbook full of signed blanks, would you? :eek:

Just so I can understand, what kind of shop do you go to that would have "add-on" things you pay for to go with that chocolate bar? LOL
You cannot compare a chocolate bar in this example, to me. I'm sorry, but that is the way I see it.

Paul

what kind of shop do you go to that would have "add-on" things you pay for
Paul
I can think of a very obvious one ... ever been to McDonalds Paul? "Would you like fries with that?" Every meal served in Maccas requires the offer of an upsell add-on. Moving away from food, how long since you bought a car? Yours for only $9999... until you want the parking sensor, rear mirror gizmo, low profile tyres ... that will be $14,990 for your $10k car thank you very much!

I'm not trying to convert anyone here, but the discussion of pay first, add-ons later, free to play and so on, fascinates me.

Digital content is still something the human brain struggles to come to terms with. We have spent millenia developing an understanding of the value of physical items that are created by physical actions. Until a few hundred years ago, one person could make one thing at a time. Machines then started making lots of things at a time, but it still required time and effort to create something new. Now we have digital content which is easily replicated and easily delivered via the internet. This has changed the whole concept of "value" and it will be a long time before everyone gets the message and understands it.

If the add-on item for your mobile game came wrapped up in a box in the mail, no-one would have any problems in paying for it. But since this add-on content appears at the tap of a screen (and a deduction from a credit card that Apple or Google have on file) it should be free right?

Anyway, the offer of a free beta test remains to those who don't mind having fun FREE for a week with something that is likely to cost them money if they want to have the same amount of fun next week :)

I'm an Iphone fiend so I can't try this out but what even drew me here after seeing it was Android was the fact it's named Train Town. My last experience with Train Town was in the early 2000's after a few years of playing it on my PC. I quite enjoyed what Sierra games did even if some of it was tongue in cheek humor. While I doubt this is the same brand let alone the same company making it, Sierra has been gone for a long time, it still remains that I'm curious if naming a new product something so similar to a past, and successful one, is a good idea.

Also the N needs to be in front of the I in your logo. It is the only letter not covered by the next and that makes the letter stick out more in a bad way.

Anyway, I wish Auran the best with their new endeavors into micro transactions and I hope this appeals well to a younger audience.

For those without an Android device, or people with one too old to update to the latest version of the Operating System (like my HTC Wildfire), I am currently checking out an emulator called BlueStacks. This emulator basically allows you to run Android applications on your computer, with an Android-style interface. BlueStacks is even compatible with the Google Play store!

I have used it previously with apps such as Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja, that have been updated too far for my device to be able to download them.

I am going to see if I can have the same success in BlueStacks with Train Town. :)

EDIT: I can now confirm that Train Town works with BlueStacks App Player!

Kieran.

Last edited:
I thought you all might be interested in proof of Train Town running on BlueStacks App Player. :)

It's a great way to go if you don't have an Android device or have one that's too old.

The trains are from 'Turbo Trainz', N3V's Wii console game.

Kieran.

Back