Screenshot of The Week: June 3 to June 10 2014 (Grades)

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
Greetings.

This week's topic is brought to you by Nikita and it is Grades. These innocent-looking slopes an important part of railroads and have shaped much of modern rail technology to conquer and tame them. Show us an aspect of railroading which has been influenced by their presence. Please send your theme suggestions for subsequent competitions via email or Skype by clicking on the little icons below my username.

One screenshot allowed per entrant. Screenshots must adhere to the theme and the Trainz Forum Code of Conduct.

Submission closes on June 10 at 12:00 noon UTC/GMT/Zulu time.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

The most infamous grade in the east!

pano_merge_big.jpg

Intermodal going down grade

Local road traffic is having an easier time getting up and down the hill than the intermodal passing by:

nv_crossing_east.jpg

Having just tipped over the summit of the hill, the train is seen here beginning the descent into the next valley. (Shot on nicky9499's CCRX)

Wasn't originally going to try this week, but decided why not.

Anyways, here we see a Union Pacific Coal Turbine waiting to climb up Sherman Hill as U.P. 119 trundles past with a mixed local:

StarFoxFan11_20140605_0000.jpg

Two gradients on show here. In the foreground a gravity slate train makes it's way down the line, whilst behind wagons are exchanged on a balance incline.

edh6_20140605_0001.jpg

It's 1973 and NSWGR 3801 and 3820 make their first venture south of the border into Victoria, seen here parallel running with VR R707 as they decent one of the many undulating grades of the North-East mainline.
97ba60755265455fdf1250a6251987d1.jpg

Cheers
Tim

once again, rbar, you blow the competition out of the water :eek:
If only I could just get my stinkin' picture to work!

The most famous of all British grades, the 1-in-37 Lickey Incline, is here tackled by a Midland Railway 'Spinner' 4-2-2:

Kieran.

Oh Kieran!

I was thinking of doing the Lickey incline! ;)

I hope this rather light loco was being banked or she's going to be in serious trouble (even with the relatively light coaches of the day). Nice screenshot though.

I might still do a banked constist on the Lickey or I might try "something completely different" I have in mind, but yet to be revealed.

Peter.

Back