The Checkrail Thread

I would use simulators track. He has a welded and jointed rail version in 132lb and dricketts reskinned a rare use and rusty version. Theres also the 100lb version for old spurs and sidings.

I would use simulators track. He has a welded and jointed rail version in 132lb and dricketts reskinned a rare use and rusty version. Theres also the 100lb version for old spurs and sidings.

I actually highly recommend using these, Andy. On routes such as your EVWR, I think the track should be the least of your worries in terms of what's better for performance.

Nope, I've got a very marginal 'puter! I just spent a while swapping the track and 'ballast' for George's 132 lb US track and even on a single line like this, I've gone from silky smooth to rattle and lurch. Does it look better - no argument- but no way in the world can I use stuff like this once I get to a yard. Also dusted off some Jenks Blue skins for whoever asked.....

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

Using Samplaire's track I can drive through Belen Yard on Clovis at a very smooth 30fps with three or four locos and a reasonable consist with only a very slight blip at camera changes. Even on this single track route with only a thin strip sceniced, with hi-poly track I lurch down to about 5fps on every camera change - and that's when it doesn't freeze-frame for a couple of seconds. That's my problem. No criticism whatsoever of the track, it's just I'm stuck with this old bucket of bolts pretending to be a computer...

:)

Last edited:
Perhaps you could consider good-ole JR track, possibly reskinning it into a variety not yet available if you so require. I find they look good, don't have awkward transitions between LODs, and are generally very easy on the frames.

Love those shots with the MoPac! I grew up watching the Missouri Pacific in Independence, Mo at my Grandmother's house. Fond memories.

Last edited:
Very nice.

If I may ask one stupid question.

What do the colors stand for om the HOG data?

I know light blue is the track and I think dark blue and red is the water and road. Or am I wrong?

What do the colors stand for om the HOG data?

I know light blue is the track and I think dark blue and red is the water and road. Or am I wrong?

Light Blue (Teal actually!) - rail

Red - roads

Dark Blue - Rivers and sometimes the edge of lakes etc. Wide rivers sometimes get a line for either bank.

Darker Red - utilities (usually high voltage, only on some maps)

Black - political boundaries (includes county lines, but I've only ever seen it on one map)

Your track dilemma; I honestly think that Georges looks better than Adam's track. I would assume that it's slightly better on the frames as well.

Unless going to Jointedrail is still against your religion, I have a better looking version of that track with stronger LOD and only 60% of the total polys on the high detail mesh. Definitely a frame boost.

So what is your decision ?

What is the best looking, low poly, high performance, high framerate track ... that looks good ?

I tried them all (about 500 types of track) ... I am back to MP Track Wood v2 by Philskene

My favorites were by: Slave Driver on USLW, RomanianTrainzStudio Sine CFR v2.0, and Greenery

Last edited:
I have a better looking version of that track with stronger LOD and only 60% of the total polys on the high detail mesh. Definitely a frame boost.
I like your track, simulatortrain. It looks good and seems to run very well even on my own very detailed routes. And it doesn't have that awkward transition between levels of detail that my older track does. I reskinned some of it to get a grayer ballast for my own use. It would be worth a try.

Unless going to Jointedrail is still against your religion, I have a better looking version of that track with stronger LOD and only 60% of the total polys on the high detail mesh. Definitely a frame boost.

Adam,

What's the kuid of your new track or exact name on he JR site? Maybe a new reskin is in order... :)

On the track dillema - I can't believe how much interest that question has generated. George's track is on the route at the moment, but that's subject to change without notice! :)

@ constar - private patch job not for release. Sorry...

Back