unable to start trainz

dominiksimin

this problem has been ongoing for the last 2-3 years. I am using windows 8 64 bit. I have downloaded all the tickets I can, I install trainz 12 but when I try to use it. i.e. driver mode I just get flashing image of the start screen, I am using version 46957. i have only managed to use trainz for a matter of weeks in all that time. what is going on?. the company that owns this product don't want to know, they just refer me to this place. at least, they did a few months ago. the last time I tried to use it can anyone advise.please?.

this problem has been ongoing for the last 2-3 years. I am using windows 8 64 bit. I have downloaded all the tickets I can, I install trainz 12 but when I try to use it. i.e. driver mode I just get flashing image of the start screen, I am using version 46957. i have only managed to use trainz for a matter of weeks in all that time. what is going on?. the company that owns this product don't want to know, they just refer me to this place. at least, they did a few months ago. the last time I tried to use it can anyone advise.please?.

Hello Domink,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

To help you better, please post your hardware specifications for your machine.

Is this a laptop or desktop? An answer to this will determine which direction we go in regarding your issues, and in addition to this, we need information on your CPU, video card, hard drive space, and amount of memory.

On the software side, are you running TS12 as Administrator? This will make a difference on a lot of things including saving sessions and other information in Surveyor and driver. We also suggest that you consider updating to the latest hotfix as that resolves many issues that were apparent in your version of TS12.

John

I didn't even know TS12 ran down to 46957. As oknotsen wrote, update your patches to 49922. That is what I run.

Post your PC specs:
Video card
CPU speed expressed in GHz
RAM
HD size
PC make & model
Windows, Dell, Mac ?
How full is your PC disc space ?

Last edited:
Hi there,

You need two patches from this site: https://www.auran.com/servicepacks/

The first is under Patch 2 and is 46957 -> 48249.

Then you use the one just above it, which is 48249 -> 49922.

You can go to SP1 if you want, but I recommend you do your research first as some people hate it and others love it. :)

The normal patching guidelines apply here. Here they are if you don't know:
1. Run the patch as Administrator
2. Disable antivirus software if possible
3. Make sure the patch is pointing to the correct location
4. NEVER cancel a patch, even if it looks stuck. Trust me, it isn't.

Patching time varies depending on how much custom content you have installed. It can range from half an hour to two hours. I prefer to start the patch just before I go to bed, so that I know the computer and patch won't be disturbed. Then I wake up in the morning and it's done. :)

I hope this helps.

Kieran.

An additional note regarding what Kieran has said. There is a patch direct from 46957 right up to the very latest build (61388) but this is around 1.8GB in size and will introduce additional checking and potential bugs.

Another thing to watch out for is if Patch Aborted appears in the middle part of the patcher window. This means that the patch has failed - there is usually a line of red text just above it that states the reason for it.

Shane

Last edited:
re: hello dominik

Hello DominIK
My coputer has n NVidia GeForce gtx 680
cpu I an intel core i7 -396x cpu @ 330 ghz 12 cores
ram 32 gbt
windows 8.1 64 bit
hard drives are 2x500 gbt in a raid 0 array striped
1.9 gbt hard drives has been used. 796 gbt space free,
32 gbt corsair ddr3 1600 MHz c9 quad channel memory kit (ram)
desktop was supplied by "wired2fire" a uk company who build super fast gamin computers
it is only about a year old. I hope I have answered all your questions.
I tried to install train pack 46957 to 61388. it downloaded ok, but would not install.
lastly I am having a devil of a job typing this as almost every word has letters missing despite my very careful typing.
I always run trainz 12 as administrator.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

To help you better, please post your hardware specifications for your machine.

Is this a laptop or desktop? An answer to this will determine which direction we go in regarding your issues, and in addition to this, we need information on your CPU, video card, hard drive space, and amount of memory.

On the software side, are you running TS12 as Administrator? This will make a difference on a lot of things including saving sessions and other information in Surveyor and driver. We also suggest that you consider updating to the latest hotfix as that resolves many issues that were apparent in your version of TS12.

John

ram 32 gbt
windows 8.1 64 bit
desktop was supplied by "wired2fire" a uk company who build super fast gamin computers
I tried to install train pack 46957 to 61388. it downloaded ok, but would not install.
lastly I am having a devil of a job typing this as almost every word has letters missing despite my very careful typing.

ram 32 gbt
windows 8.1 64 bit

Hardware looks alright to me. You can try doing the large service pack all at once, But I did it piecemeal just in case. As for having issues with the forums, make sure it is listed as running in Compatibility Mode. I had lots of issues trying to type fast after an update, setting it to Compatibility solved all problems.

What did it say when you tried to install the patch?.... If it says something about it not recognising the patch means that you have more than one install of TSXX It maybe looking at the TS09 copy if you have that installed, try the install again but this time guide it manually by clicking on the three dots at the top right they should look something like this , [...]
Now guide it to the TS12/Trainz.exe, and it should start to work.

Hi there,

You need two patches from this site: https://www.auran.com/servicepacks/

The first is under Patch 2 and is 46957 -> 48249.

Then you use the one just above it, which is 48249 -> 49922.

You can go to SP1 if you want, but I recommend you do your research first as some people hate it and others love it. :)

The normal patching guidelines apply here. Here they are if you don't know:
1. Run the patch as Administrator
2. Disable antivirus software if possible
3. Make sure the patch is pointing to the correct location
4. NEVER cancel a patch, even if it looks stuck. Trust me, it isn't.

Patching time varies depending on how much custom content you have installed. It can range from half an hour to two hours. I prefer to start the patch just before I go to bed, so that I know the computer and patch won't be disturbed. Then I wake up in the morning and it's done. :)

I hope this helps.

Kieran.

Hello Kieran, no luck i'm afraid keyboard playing up again will. have to close for now, will have to try again later, patch 16957 to 61388 did not work.
but thank you anyway.

Hi Dominik,

The keyboard error is due to compatibility with IE 11. Go to Tools and options and then compatibility settings where you can add auran.com to the list. You should be all set after that.

Regarding your system specs, you should have no problems running the program even though you do.

If you want, try patching again, but right-click and choose run as administrator. That usually gives the patcher permissions to write to the folder and update files properly. If the patch fails again, you may have to reinstall as that's usually the case. This will also happen if you canceled the patch in mid-stream. When the patch/installer runs, it can take a very long time, sometimes appearing to be frozen. It's best patch overnight so the PC can process things without being disturbed.

John

Hello John, Thanks for the reply. Because of the heartbeat thingy virus I am now using Google chrome, I switched internet providers last night after reading that internet explorer was prone to attacks by the heartbeat virus thing. (Excuse lack of precision in my response to you, but I am fresh out of bed).I've just caught on, you must be right. I've had no problems writing this to you. Thank You.
Hi Dominik,

The keyboard error is due to compatibility with IE 11. Go to Tools and options and then compatibility settings where you can add auran.com to the list. You should be all set after that.

Regarding your system specs, you should have no problems running the program even though you do.

If you want, try patching again, but right-click and choose run as administrator. That usually gives the patcher permissions to write to the folder and update files properly. If the patch fails again, you may have to reinstall as that's usually the case. This will also happen if you canceled the patch in mid-stream. When the patch/installer runs, it can take a very long time, sometimes appearing to be frozen. It's best patch overnight so the PC can process things without being disturbed.

John

att John

Hello John, Thanks for the reply. Because of the heartbeat thingy virus I am now using Google chrome, I switched internet providers last night after reading that internet explorer was prone to attacks by the heartbeat virus thing. (Excuse lack of precision in my response to you, but I am fresh out of bed).I've just caught on, you must be right. I've had no problems writing this to you. Thank You.
P.S.
I left this site for a couple of minutes. to get back on topic. i am unable to download any patch or patches as administrator, that option is closed to me, it's simply not one of the options. but just tried to re download yet again . i was told-
failed to create backup of file c:\program files (x86)\n3vgames\ts12\bin\debuginterface_7c dll.pbk
Then goes on further to say- Failed to apply patch etc, patching aborted.
I only get the administrator option when i right click to open the game, after that i never see it.
dominiksimin

I have just re-installed ts 12. When it restarted, as before, I got the same flashing images of the start screen, I had to press cntrl +alt+del to get back to the start screen. The version number is 46957. I know its old, thats because I have been unable to apply patches.
P.S.
I left this site for a couple of minutes. to get back on topic. i am unable to download any patch or patches as administrator, that option is closed to me, it's simply not one of the options. but just tried to re download yet again . i was told-
failed to create backup of file c:\program files (x86)\n3vgames\ts12\bin\debuginterface_7c dll.pbk
Then goes on further to say- Failed to apply patch etc, patching aborted.
I only get the administrator option when i right click to open the game, after that i never see it.
dominiksimin

Hi dominiksimin,
May I ask, Is your copy of TS12 on a disk or is it a download version?
If you have the download version, have you tried re-downloading it from the website, just in case the one you have at the moment has a glitch in the code.
Also Is this the only program on your computer you have a problem with flashing images or are there others?
With an up to date machine such as yours, you should not be having all this difficulty, Is WIN 8.1 fully up to date with all your updates in place. and most of all have you got the latest drivers for your NVidia GeForce gtx 680. don't rely on the disk that it came with, you should always get the latest ones from there web site.

Back